Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    im at 1/3 down, 2nd third when roof is completed properly, last third is windows and chimney repoint.  the workmanship looks proper though, right now it looks like a communication problem between the office and the workers.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • roof on the house started saturday while i was away, no notice. just had a talk with the contractor, wheres the ridge vent, why put back the old side thru the roof vents back in,  why is the gable vents not reopened, wheres the tin corrosion strips up top.......just some concerns and observations at this point
    roof on the house started saturday while i was away, no notice. just had a talk with the contractor, wheres the ridge vent, why put back the old side thru the roof vents back in,  why is the gable vents not reopened, wheres the tin corrosion strips up top.......just some concerns and observations at this point
    It pays to watch roofers, watching contractors was my profession for 34 years. Other questions: were any rotted sheets of plywood replaced, was the metal drip edging and valley flashing replaced, did they use the shingles and nails specified, did they use peel and stick underpayment and apply it correctly, did they replace the boots around all penetrations correctly, and did they have a permit from the City building inspector and request inspection at the appropriate times?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    i want one of these to catch my neighbor planting things on my lawn =)

A garden hose works with less chance of assault charges...
    roof on the house started saturday while i was away, no notice. just had a talk with the contractor, wheres the ridge vent, why put back the old side thru the roof vents back in,  why is the gable vents not reopened, wheres the tin corrosion strips up top.......just some concerns and observations at this point
    It pays to watch roofers, watching contractors was my profession for 34 years. Other questions: were any rotted sheets of plywood replaced, was the metal drip edging and valley flashing replaced, did they use the shingles and nails specified, did they use peel and stick underpayment and apply it correctly, did they replace the boots around all penetrations correctly, and did they have a permit from the City building inspector and request inspection at the appropriate times?
    the one thing i wanted to see was the wood were the leak developed a few months back. dont see any damage to it from inside, it was from an industrial building late 1800's, redwood, coated with some sort of what looks like a copper stain/paint thats turned green with age. its really thick so im probably good there.  if they didnt pull a permit the inspector would have been there, he lives a hundred yards away on the lake. lookss like 6 feet ice and water shield with a synthetic something or other underlayment instead of felt the rest of the way up and the drip edges were made custom in house as thats there main gig, custom sheel roofing. shingles were right, gaf timberlane lifetime hd.
    fukahwee maine

• A year ago I had a steel roof put on . Being in a hurricane zone I used ice and water shield over the entire roof. That gave a discount on the insurance and it didn’t really take that much more labor.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    TN_Egger said:
    shopping for a new macbook.  6 years old and battery is fading.  could just replace battery, but at 6 years old I think it's time.  where's the best place to buy?
    My macbook Err (Air) is now eleven years old, and its second battery is beginning to fade, so I'm in a similar but slightly deeper quandary.  I can't update my OS on this thing anymore, but I just use it to surf my forums and websites (I don't use it anymore for CC purchases, trading or banking), so one more battery replacement might be the best option for me.  
    I can't recommend a "best place" to buy a replacement for you, but I think this is a great time to be looking for a replacement (for both of us) because of the new Macbook Pro, and the Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Taco Tuesday specials coming up in the next two weeks.
    Good luck, and let us know what you end up with (and let us know if you find a Super Buy!)   

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• nolaegghead
    16" MBP.  I'm going to pull the trigger on the 8 core in a few months.
    Botch said:
    TN_Egger said:
    shopping for a new macbook.  6 years old and battery is fading.  could just replace battery, but at 6 years old I think it's time.  where's the best place to buy?
    My macbook Err (Air) is now eleven years old, and its second battery is beginning to fade, so I'm in a similar but slightly deeper quandary.  I can't update my OS on this thing anymore, but I just use it to surf my forums and websites (I don't use it anymore for CC purchases, trading or banking), so one more battery replacement might be the best option for me.  
    I can't recommend a "best place" to buy a replacement for you, but I think this is a great time to be looking for a replacement (for both of us) because of the new Macbook Pro, and the Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Taco Tuesday specials coming up in the next two weeks.
    Good luck, and let us know what you end up with (and let us know if you find a Super Buy!)   
    My Air is only 8 or 9 years old but the original battery still works well enough that I'm not looking to replace it yet. Both my Air and iMac are too old to utilize the latest OS  but Apple will still be providing security updates for quite some time so I'm not worried about continuing to use either for buying stuff/banking/etc.
    I've not bought a Macbook battery from them (yet) but have spent lots of money for other things from them over the years and if you are looking to replace your battery you might give them a look - https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/laptop-batteries/macbook-air

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,724
    edited November 2019
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,056
    Shoes

If you are a Cole Haan fan they have 50% off on a lot of shoes on their website.  I’ve never been in a full retail Cole Haan specific store but I dig their shoes for my daily drivers. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,949
    TN_Egger said:
    Don't rule out the battery swap.  I have a 2012, on its second battery and will only swap it when it can't sustain current OS.  I am over 700 cycles deep on this one and its discharging quicker,  but in reality thats no big deal as I rarely use it out of reach of a power socket.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • nolaegghead
    CPFC1905 said:
    TN_Egger said:
    Don't rule out the battery swap.  I have a 2012, on its second battery and will only swap it when it can't sustain current OS.  I am over 700 cycles deep on this one and its discharging quicker,  but in reality thats no big deal as I rarely use it out of reach of a power socket.
    I have a 2012 MBP, 15" retina with quad I7, yada yada.  Still runs great, fast.  Battery is compromised, gets me maybe 45 minutes.  But, as you are, I'm always connected to external power.

I doubt I will get new batteries...(they have to be soldered in) and I'm not worried about that as much as this unit runs on average of 10 hours a day, and is running services enough to keep it a primary heating clam for at least one cat.  In other words, it's just about worn out and time to upgrade.

Having been on Windows OS's from when it was released to about 2008, I think the extra money spent on MBPs is economical both in average life span over Windows, and the extra time *NOT* spent dealing with reboots, viruses, BSODs and the daily nightmare of windows....(disclaimer - they are better than when I used them but I will go months without rebooting on my OSX).

Downside to OSX is it can't run Explorer, which, infuriatingly must be used for some work software.  And Novell client, forgetaboutit. But that's what VMs and remote desktops are for.

In summary, sadly my work won't buy me a mac and that means I buy my own, but they buy me a new Lenovo every 3 years and I have piles of those that I get to use as paperweights or to drive the projector at my shop.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger (likely on black friday) on parts for a PC build and I think I'm only going to install Linux and use a windows virtualbox on the rare occasion I need it. 
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

• a meat grinder for my kitchen aide mixer and a three quart cast iron Dutch oven. Kitchen supply store at the Gulfport outlet mall is going out of business. 20 to 40 percent off now.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    It is showing up blank on my end brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    SGH said:
    It is showing up blank on my end brother. 
    dont know why, could be how i down loaded, the usb ports not working properly. its the lava bowl you linked me too last week, the pestle part is much nicer than the one shown from that link. any ways its soaking right now, just in time for the holidays
    fukahwee maine

• a PlayStation VR bundle. Gonna see if this is as cool as people say it is.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Just fought off the urge to upsize my TV stable. Phew!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    My family got me a sweet macbook back in 2007 when I graduated college and it was nice but I don't get the cult like attraction to apple products. 
    I don't get the "cult" either, even though I have 3 Mac computers (two are too old to upgrade the OS anymore); I use a cheep Android Tracfone.  
    But, I'm still using Windoze machines at work.  And, 35 &$^! years after first booting up my Zenith Z-100 from a 5" floppy disk, TODAY I tried to open 4 emails, and each crashed my system for at least 20 minutes APIECE, (not including both soft-, and hard-reboots), why the hell can't simple things work like they should?!?!?!?!?!??!?  A few years ago I was getting 90 to 150 emails a day, and supervision wonders why I couldn't get anything done??  I swear, if I had to use a Windoze machine at home, I wouldn't have a computer.  
    Rant off.  I need to take up woodcarving again.  :disappointed:

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Botch said:
    My family got me a sweet macbook back in 2007 when I graduated college and it was nice but I don't get the cult like attraction to apple products. 
    I don't get the "cult" either, even though I have 3 Mac computers (two are too old to upgrade the OS anymore); I use a cheep Android Tracfone.  
    But, I'm still using Windoze machines at work.  And, 35 &$^! years after first booting up my Zenith Z-100 from a 5" floppy disk, TODAY I tried to open 4 emails, and each crashed my system for at least 20 minutes APIECE, (not including both soft-, and hard-reboots), why the hell can't simple things work like they should?!?!?!?!?!??!?  A few years ago I was getting 90 to 150 emails a day, and supervision wonders why I couldn't get anything done??  I swear, if I had to use a Windoze machine at home, I wouldn't have a computer.  
    Same here. I was forced to use Windows for 34 years at work. About two years before I retired I got an iMac to go with my iPhone at home. I don’t miss Macrosuck at all.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,830
    Wolfpack1 said:
    New golf shoes- got invited to play ANGC. 

Bucket list item and I couldn’t be more excited. 

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Choosing charcoal for my son before Black Friday. Another BGE would be expensive. Looking through these and trying to find any deals for them
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Botch said:
    IME, at least 95% of workplace computer issues are directly tied to policy changes, or crap pushed by IT, that are made to the systems. Even when an update is proven to cause issues on end user systems, they refuse to back out of those changes, or revert to working software versions. 

As a point, at work we used to be full admin's of our own systems. Able to install and update things as needed to ensure we could actually DO our jobs efficiently. NOW, we have to get a code to allow updates to happen for software that CAME on our #@$%^&*(&^%$ computers. These were imaged by IT to begin with, so only approved software was installed by them. I had to update a piece of software that's used by one of the manufacturers of the gear we use (for servers and storage) last week since it kept prompting me to do so. I had to get the return code to the challenge of the F'ing software they've installed to restrict us. This is going to happen EVERY time even though it was originally installed before I got the F'ing computer. 

There's also update that IT pushes out that are KNOWN to cause major issues for people. Requiring several attempts to use them, also requiring reboots between, before they finally work. I've not encountered that particular issue, yet, since I don't have that magic combination of versions. 

Point is, before you blame the OS of the computer for your issues, take a hard look at what your IT group is inflicting on you. Chances are, they're the ones causing these issues. But good luck getting them to either admit that, or come up with a solid fix any time soon.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • nolaegghead
    1911Man said:
    Botch said:
    IME, at least 95% of workplace computer issues are directly tied to policy changes, or crap pushed by IT, that are made to the systems. Even when an update is proven to cause issues on end user systems, they refuse to back out of those changes, or revert to working software versions. 

As a point, at work we used to be full admin's of our own systems. Able to install and update things as needed to ensure we could actually DO our jobs efficiently. NOW, we have to get a code to allow updates to happen for software that CAME on our #@$%^&*(&^%$ computers. These were imaged by IT to begin with, so only approved software was installed by them. I had to update a piece of software that's used by one of the manufacturers of the gear we use (for servers and storage) last week since it kept prompting me to do so. I had to get the return code to the challenge of the F'ing software they've installed to restrict us. This is going to happen EVERY time even though it was originally installed before I got the F'ing computer. 

There's also update that IT pushes out that are KNOWN to cause major issues for people. Requiring several attempts to use them, also requiring reboots between, before they finally work. I've not encountered that particular issue, yet, since I don't have that magic combination of versions. 

Point is, before you blame the OS of the computer for your issues, take a hard look at what your IT group is inflicting on you. Chances are, they're the ones causing these issues. But good luck getting them to either admit that, or come up with a solid fix any time soon.
    Either your corporate IT dept sucks or you are on the losing end of mitigation policy.  God help you.
    1911Man said:
    Botch said:

Either your corporate IT dept sucks or you are on the losing end of mitigation policy.  God help you.
    I asked our IT guy why our internet is so slow the other day even though speed tests are always 500 plus. He said it’s all the security crap that we are required to use from corporate. He gave a better description than I did but basically we have multiple things monitoring and checking everything we do. 
  • Before I retired we couldn’t even run a virus scan. I guess it would birddog all of the agency spyware that they had monitoring us. Not going to go into detail on all of the problems that certain mandated programs, required to be used to perform our work on. Suffice it to say that they were many.
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    edited November 2019
    1911Man said:
    Botch said:

Yes on both counts... It also doesn't help that there's apps running in the background (per the forced policies) that suck up resources. I started at this company in August of 2018 and things ran better/smoother then for us. Within the last ~6 months (or so) things have gotten deeper into the suck level.
    I also think that some of the restrictions they're placing on us is also making it so that the tool that is supposed to update the laptop OEM software/drivers now fails to do so (tries, but gives a failed result message). 
    They're also getting ready to force more restrictions on us for connecting into the environment I work in. Removing the ability to copy/paste from my laptop into the computer I use to connect into the actual environment. Which means I'll need to sftp EVERYTHING I need up to that system before I can actually DO anything with it. Right now I can copy commands I need to run from my laptop to that system to run against the back end systems. That's going away. The apeholes.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).