Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Options

Comments

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    A temporary egg home until I can build the stone one. Pizza oven is going on left side. Just haven’t unboxed it yet. 304SS

Where did you get the table?? I'm trying to get something for my medium BGE without spending too much $$. I don't have the tools to make a table from wood. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    1911Man said:
    A temporary egg home until I can build the stone one. Pizza oven is going on left side. Just haven’t unboxed it yet. 304SS

Where did you get the table?? I'm trying to get something for my medium BGE without spending too much $$. I don't have the tools to make a table from wood. 
    Restaurant supply houses sell them. They’re prep tables. Not that cheap either 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    1911Man said:
    Just paid for a new mattress. Old one (just over 10 years old) started killing my back late last week. Made it to the store I like after dinner (they close at 9pm), picked out the one and was out the door in not even ten minutes. It will be delivered on Friday. Which is good since that means I only need to use the old one twice more before it goes to mattress hell/heaven/whatevah. Free delivery and 5 years 0% finance. :) I'll have it paid off a LOT faster than that. Just under a grand all said and done.
    Take full advantage of the 0% interest financing over 5 years - you don’t win by paying it off early. Put the extra money that you would have paid toward the balance early into an account that will earn a yield of ~5%. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • 1911Man
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    1911Man said:

Restaurant supply houses sell them. They’re prep tables. Not that cheap either 
    I've seen them for not bad $$ on Amazon... As in sub $160 for a 5' wide version. I have metal cutting tools (grinders and plasma cutter) so I should be able to cut the top with the right size hole, and then just have the shelf at the right height to support it. Just need to decide if I want wheels or not. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    1911Man said:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

The advice is to take a full 5 years to pay off a $1,000 mattress?!   
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Yes. Look up time value of money. 
  • NorthPilot06
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If someone is willing to give you a interest-free loan (effectively), you can use that money in smart ways
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    @DuckDogDr...You really are throwing everything at the dating game !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Yes. Look up time value of money. 
    Consider the value of your time dealing with stuff like this to 'make' a few quid.
    Not sure I follow this entirely
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @NorthPilot06 would you go to a bank and borrow $1,000 at zero interest, then turn around and invest it?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    He probably could have negotiated a 5% discount with cash maybe 10! Mattress stores are hurting with the new online competition  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 1911Man
    Options
    The advice is to take a full 5 years to pay off a $1,000 mattress?!   
    No... Just the terms applied to the purchase due to having the store card. I purchased a leather couch and chair in June with it (about $2k) that is 12 months 0%. I'll tack enough onto that payment to keep the mattress aspect happy. Then pay that down as I want. Most likely before the end of next year. So another 5-6 months after the couch and chair is paid off. 

I'll go back when I know if I'm moving into a new house (next year) and get some additional items for that (new bed frame/platform, desk and maybe something else) for the new place. Will see what the terms are for that. Then pay off as I decide (early or on time).
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    @NorthPilot06 would you go to a bank and borrow $1,000 at zero interest, then turn around and invest it?
    Yes, most definitely. The bank just won’t give you 1,000 at 0% interest, that’s why this is a unique opportunity. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Who the heck is getting five percent in an account? 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Look, I was just trying to offer some free advice from someone who makes a living in finance. I don’t mean to distract from the intent of this thread though, so anyone that would like to talk can PM me. 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Guys, the historical rate of return on the S&P 500 is ~8%. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042415/what-average-annual-return-sp-500.asp

With a diverse portfolio, you’d expect your rate of return to be measurably less. 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    He probably could have negotiated a 5% discount with cash maybe 10! Mattress stores are hurting with the new online competition  
    And you’re right, an all cash offer - if discounted by 5%, 10% over the financed amount wins every time
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Guys, the historical rate of return on the S&P 500 is ~8%. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042415/what-average-annual-return-sp-500.asp

With a diverse portfolio, you’d expect your rate of return to be measurably less. 
    Ok. It’s only a grand. I didn’t realize we were talking about deferring payment on a mattress to invest in the market. With that logic, that “historical” average can burn you on a short term purchase. The SP flames out and now you paid 20% more for that mattress...

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Ok I really need to stop engaging. It’s not day trading, it’s a 5 year loan at 0% interest. Yes, there’s a slim chance that we go into a multi-year recession and you come out upside down. And no, I wouldn’t suggest doing what I’m saying if you’re spending your last dollar on the mattress (which I’m assuming he isn’t). 

It’s basic fundamentals guys.  You’re picking a corner case. And yeah, it’s a grand, so who cares. But the same rules apply when you’re talking about 10 grand or 100 grand or more. 

You invest and save your money as you see fit, or keep it in a safe under your bed in gold and silver. No difference to me, just trying to educate. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the education. It’ll supplement my degree in Economics. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    OPM (Other People's Money) working for you in the main is a good thing.  Of course you are hedging on the slope of the growth curve but again over time you will win.  My simple approach and I am likely too old to GAF these days but if I am missing the mark here please enlighten me even now.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think it’s time for a gif

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Anybody know where I can buy a $1,000 wagyu rib roast?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.