Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - OT - OT OT 2018 World Cup, Who ya got? If you even care OT - OT - OT - OT

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "We certainly domjnated the first half and put a lot of pressure on, but only hit the target once."

I'm not sure that's true.  The half time stats I saw showed an edge to Croatia on possession and shots.  My take was that things were about even with the obvious exception of the goal.
    Maybe I'm not entirely neutral ........
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    "Maybe I'm not entirely neutral ........"

That possibility occurred to me. 
    :) 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Good win, Croatia!  I hope your run isn't over.  One more win to go!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited July 2018
    Options
    England is now officially 4th!  Go Croatia!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    That match was more entertaining than I anticipated going in.  England had control for most of the 2nd half and then along comes the counter.  
    Now on to Sunday.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,865
    Options
    About 25 minutes of agreeable football in that match.   Our best players are the back 5,  which means that attacking threat is limited.  Hopefully more confidence and the sort of dynamism from the front 5 (like in those 25 minutes) will emerge.  I was the least surprised spectator that RLC played well.  (No mention of Palace there @Eoin - after your feedback  =) )

Ghosts still stalk the England squad but they could be exorcised in the coming weeks and the the Euro' qual'ies.   For many years England players have been genuinely paralysed while in the shirt.  Many have spoken about it after retirement.  Burning effigies, bullets in the post, abuse at domestic matches and attacks on their homes if they were perceived to have 'caused' a loss or draw from a winning position.   Southgate grew up in the next town from me and our paths crossed as friends a few times in the early 90's.  His Mum & Dad live very close to my sister's in-laws and after his penalty miss in 96, their house was besieged.   Who needs that?   The atmosphere was fanned by a hostile print media that were pumped up on a baseless sense of entitlement.

Disappointed that we didn't find one more win out of the last two matches.  Perhaps a greater fight today would have helped,  but it's all done now.  

PL starts in a month (sorry @Eoin - just enjoying it will it lasts)
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Eoin
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    About 25 minutes of agreeable football in that match.   Our best players are the back 5,  which means that attacking threat is limited.  Hopefully more confidence and the sort of dynamism from the front 5 (like in those 25 minutes) will emerge.  I was the least surprised spectator that RLC played well.  (No mention of Palace there @Eoin - after your feedback  =) )

Ghosts still stalk the England squad but they could be exorcised in the coming weeks and the the Euro' qual'ies.   For many years England players have been genuinely paralysed while in the shirt.  Many have spoken about it after retirement.  Burning effigies, bullets in the post, abuse at domestic matches and attacks on their homes if they were perceived to have 'caused' a loss or draw from a winning position.   Southgate grew up in the next town from me and our paths crossed as friends a few times in the early 90's.  His Mum & Dad live very close to my sister's in-laws and after his penalty miss in 96, their house was besieged.   Who needs that?   The atmosphere was fanned by a hostile print media that were pumped up on a baseless sense of entitlement.

Disappointed that we didn't find one more win out of the last two matches.  Perhaps a greater fight today would have helped,  but it's all done now.  

PL starts in a month (sorry @Eoin - just enjoying it will it lasts)
    Didn't bother with the match today, cricket was good and the 3-4 playoff always seems a bit pointless.  

I'm actually looking forward to the championship and a league we have at least a fighting chance of winning. It will be funny starting the season and not thinking about how we will get enough points to stay up. Positive about Rowett too, feels like a much needed fresh start.
  • thetrim
    Options
    Congrats Frankreich!

XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,865
    Options
    Allez Les Bleus
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    At least there’s no question about who deserved to win this year. That was a very entertaining final and I’d rather see that than a 0-0 or 1-1 match that comes down to PKs. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    Options
    Hrvatska (Croatia) was the better team for much of the day today.  I wish the futbal Gods would've shown down more pleasantly on them.  Alas, was not to be. 

Croatia went thru some real tough $hit back in the mid to late 90s just as many of these guys were getting to the age of remembering stuff.  Their grit is irreplacable. 

France made all their chances count.  They executed when they had the chance. They are the better team on paper, but they we're the better team for most of the game today.

I wish we had a 9th different World Cup Champion, but it wasn't meant to be.

Congrats to the Frogs!

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

:RANT:

I wish FIFA and all leagues would get much stricter in combatting diving.  If a hand ball can go to VAR, then certainly a dive that sets up a free kick can as well.  Should be an instant yellow.

The first French goal happened due to a dive.  Why is that any less scrutinized than a handball in the box.  One is 100% intentional, the other is possibly not.

The diving and anguish is really detracting from the game.  If you Neymar it and roll around on the ground for 30 seconds, then you’re on the sideline for the next five/ten minutes.  No place for that

:/RANT:

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eoin
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

:RANT:

I wish FIFA and all leagues would get much stricter in combatting diving.  If a hand ball can go to VAR, then certainly a dive that sets up a free kick can as well.  Should be an instant yellow.

The first French goal happened due to a dive.  Why is that any less scrutinized than a handball in the box.  One is 100% intentional, the other is possibly not.

The diving and anguish is really detracting from the game.  If you Neymar it and roll around on the ground for 30 seconds, then you’re on the sideline for the next five/ten minutes.  No place for that

:/RANT:

In true FIFA style, the VAR process is shrouded in mystery.  In rugby or cricket, the TV audience and crowd see exactly the same video as the reviewing official and hear the discussions between that official and the ref.  The process is open and transparent and the general public get to hear the reasoning for the decision, which works well. The rules for reviews are also clear, so the officials have good guidelines to work to.  The handball and diving rules are vague, which is why 2 people watching the same video replay can come up with 2 different answers.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options