Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - OT - OT OT 2018 World Cup, Who ya got? If you even care OT - OT - OT - OT

thetrimthetrim Posts: 7,056
I'm saying Germany for the highly unusual repeat.  There's only a few on the 2018 roster that were on the 2014 roster.
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 18,282
    There some teams that I hope get pounded but at the top-tier I really don't have a favorite.  If pressed I will go with Spain.
    BTW the below link contains the rosters for all the participating teams:
    https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/06/04/2018-fifa-world-cup-rosters-every-world-cup-squad-listed-full 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 7,056
    Thanks for sharing @lousubcap.  I was never a big soccer fan, but I married a German who moved to the US at a young age and played thru college.  I have no choice.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • EoinEoin Posts: 2,064
    England, obviously. We live in hope, not expectation. Beating the Germans in the knockout phase would be enough to make the event count as a success.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,899
    edited June 7
    I have to go with Germany. Although Spain could definitely pull it off. I’ll root for Belgium. 

And just to get us in the mood I’ll post a pic that my wife took from our first row seats during the 2014 World Cup. 

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,583
    thetrim said:
    Thanks for sharing @lousubcap.  I was never a big soccer fan...
    That you call it "soccer" confirms you're not a big fan. :)
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,411
    When does 'Merica play?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 2,028
    Jeebus, is is it time for World Cup Skiing already?

I gotta go with my homegirls from Vail - Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 2,028

Foghorn said:
    I have to go with Germany. Although Spain could definitely pull it off. I’ll root for Belgium. 

And just to get us in the mood I’ll post a pic that my wife took from our first row seats during the 2014 World Cup. 
    So that guy is doing one of those flop falls that they all work on so hard because the other guy was too close to him at 8 feet away, yes?
  • lowandslowlowandslow Posts: 115
    If Big Green Egg were smart, they would rent ad space on the side of the stretchers, as that is what everyone sees most on the field during a futbol match!
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 18,282
    Yea but the medical attendants work obvious miracles-the time between injury and recovery is totally impressive  ;)
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • Not clear to me... is this thread OT?
    Foghorn said:

Ramos is a douche
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 6,165
    edited June 8
    That dutch header was a thing of beauty!  I'll try to find the youtube video.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

As promised:

Steve 

And for my pick this year AND the best game of the last world cup:

Steve 

• xfire_ATXxfire_ATX Posts: 602
    When I did my bracket I had Brazil v Germany again.  And I am hoping Brazil shows up this year, the Germans are just so damn efficient at winning right now.  Spain- no way, Tiki Taka is over.
    LBGE, Charbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Weber Kettle Premium, Yeti 65, RTIC 20, Yeti 20 oz Rambler, Yeti Colster, RTIC Lowball

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Let’s get some more input.   
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TideEggHeadTideEggHead Posts: 624
    Columbia and the Dutch were definitely fun to watch in the last World Cup, I could see the Dutch giving it a good run this year. 
    LBGE
    SC AL
  • BugFreak72BugFreak72 Posts: 82
    edited June 9
    No U.S. this year so Germany it is. I get the feeling they are going to run through teams. I would like to see some other teams get it together but it just seems the usual competitors can't get where they once were this WC.
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,583
    Iceland for the win!
    Camped out in the (757/804)
    Columbia and the Dutch were definitely fun to watch in the last World Cup, I could see the Dutch giving it a good run this year. 
    Excellent pick.  Let me know that goes.  Ima big fan of Robben!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
    No U.S. this year so Germany it is. I get the feeling they are going to run through teams. I would like to see some other teams get it together but it just seems the usual competitors can't get where they once were this WC.
    German has the curse of being the incumbant as well as being the reigning Confederations Cup Champ.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • erniemcclainerniemcclain Posts: 466
    Belgium 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,084
    Is there any " group of death" this cup? That may change my prediction, but got to go with the German machine. I use to like clockwork orange.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,899
    Just to be clear, for those who may not know, the Netherlands did not qualify this year.  Neither did Italy.  The US is not the best team that is not playing in Russia.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

Lots of traditional winners are at home this year.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
    I'll never miss Italy and their "take the air out of the ball style of play" at the WC. Good riddance.
    Steve 

Lulz Italy!  Never gets old.

Steve 

• Wolfie51sbWolfie51sb Posts: 265
    Belgium

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• AcnAcn Posts: 2,749
    I’d love to see Belgium's golden generation break through, and I expect to enjoy watching France because of the sheer volume of attacking talent they have, but I think the smart money is on Germany or Brazil, with Spain a touch behind them, but a danger because De Gea could just decide to stop everything.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD