Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - OT - OT OT 2018 World Cup, Who ya got? If you even care OT - OT - OT - OT

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
I'm saying Germany for the highly unusual repeat.  There's only a few on the 2018 roster that were on the 2014 roster.
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    There some teams that I hope get pounded but at the top-tier I really don't have a favorite.  If pressed I will go with Spain.
    BTW the below link contains the rosters for all the participating teams:
    https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/06/04/2018-fifa-world-cup-rosters-every-world-cup-squad-listed-full 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    Thanks for sharing @lousubcap.  I was never a big soccer fan, but I married a German who moved to the US at a young age and played thru college.  I have no choice.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    England, obviously. We live in hope, not expectation. Beating the Germans in the knockout phase would be enough to make the event count as a success.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited June 2018
    I have to go with Germany. Although Spain could definitely pull it off. I’ll root for Belgium. 

And just to get us in the mood I’ll post a pic that my wife took from our first row seats during the 2014 World Cup. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    thetrim said:
    Thanks for sharing @lousubcap.  I was never a big soccer fan...
    That you call it "soccer" confirms you're not a big fan. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    When does 'Merica play?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Jeebus, is is it time for World Cup Skiing already?

I gotta go with my homegirls from Vail - Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349

Foghorn said:
    I have to go with Germany. Although Spain could definitely pull it off. I’ll root for Belgium. 

And just to get us in the mood I’ll post a pic that my wife took from our first row seats during the 2014 World Cup. 
    So that guy is doing one of those flop falls that they all work on so hard because the other guy was too close to him at 8 feet away, yes?
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    If Big Green Egg were smart, they would rent ad space on the side of the stretchers, as that is what everyone sees most on the field during a futbol match!
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Yea but the medical attendants work obvious miracles-the time between injury and recovery is totally impressive  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Not clear to me... is this thread OT?
  • thetrim
    Foghorn said:

Ramos is a douche
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited June 2018
    That dutch header was a thing of beauty!  I'll try to find the youtube video.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey
    Steve 

• YEMTrey
    And for my pick this year AND the best game of the last world cup:

Steve 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    When I did my bracket I had Brazil v Germany again.  And I am hoping Brazil shows up this year, the Germans are just so damn efficient at winning right now.  Spain- no way, Tiki Taka is over.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • thetrim
    Let’s get some more input.   
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Columbia and the Dutch were definitely fun to watch in the last World Cup, I could see the Dutch giving it a good run this year. 
    LBGE
    AL
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited June 2018
    No U.S. this year so Germany it is. I get the feeling they are going to run through teams. I would like to see some other teams get it together but it just seems the usual competitors can't get where they once were this WC.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Iceland for the win!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    Columbia and the Dutch were definitely fun to watch in the last World Cup, I could see the Dutch giving it a good run this year. 
    Excellent pick.  Let me know that goes.  Ima big fan of Robben!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    No U.S. this year so Germany it is. I get the feeling they are going to run through teams. I would like to see some other teams get it together but it just seems the usual competitors can't get where they once were this WC.
    German has the curse of being the incumbant as well as being the reigning Confederations Cup Champ.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Belgium 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Is there any " group of death" this cup? That may change my prediction, but got to go with the German machine. I use to like clockwork orange.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Just to be clear, for those who may not know, the Netherlands did not qualify this year.  Neither did Italy.  The US is not the best team that is not playing in Russia.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    Lots of traditional winners are at home this year.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YEMTrey
    I'll never miss Italy and their "take the air out of the ball style of play" at the WC. Good riddance.
    Steve 

• YEMTrey
    Lulz Italy!  Never gets old.

Steve 

• Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Belgium

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I’d love to see Belgium's golden generation break through, and I expect to enjoy watching France because of the sheer volume of attacking talent they have, but I think the smart money is on Germany or Brazil, with Spain a touch behind them, but a danger because De Gea could just decide to stop everything.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD