Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Annual Little Steven Memorial Cook Thread

Comments

• Foghorn said:
    Yep.  You definitely have your mise en place.
    Mise-en-place is the religion of all good line cooks. Do not f*ck with a line cook’s ‘meez’ — meaning his setup, his carefully arranged supplies of sea salt, rough-cracked pepper, softened butter, cooking oil, wine, backups, and so on. 

As a cook, your station, and its condition, its state of readiness, is an extension of your nervous system… 

The universe is in order when your station is set up the way you like it: you know where to find everything with your eyes closed, everything you need during the course of the shift is at the ready at arm’s reach, your defenses are deployed. 

If you let your mise-en-place run down, get dirty and disorganized, you’ll quickly find yourself spinning in place and calling for backup. I worked with a chef who used to step behind the line to a dirty cook’s station in the middle of a rush to explain why the offending cook was falling behind. He’d press his palm down on the cutting board, which was littered with peppercorns, spattered sauce, bits of parsley, bread crumbs and the usual flotsam and jetsam that accumulates quickly on a station if not constantly wiped away with a moist side towel. “You see this?” he’d inquire, raising his palm so that the cook could see the bits of dirt and scraps sticking to his chef’s palm. “That’s what the inside of your head looks like now.”  -Anthony Bourdain in  “Kitchen Confidential”
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2018
    Pulled out the Darth Maul Party cup for the evening round of cooks. Pretty sure this was put into service at the Salado eggfest LS attended (and curried up my egg). @caliking is this they way you remember it? 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I’m gonna have to carry this one over for another day. Huge storm came through here. Lost 2 hrs to rain and the family went ahead and ate so I will be doing my cook tomorrow. :(
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Methinks some adult beverages are being consumed in LS’s honor.  Cheers!

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gmac
    Methinks some adult beverages are being consumed in LS’s honor.  Cheers!

I know I’m having a few....
  • gmac said:
    I’m gonna have to carry this one over for another day. Huge storm came through here. Lost 2 hrs to rain and the family went ahead and ate so I will be doing my cook tomorrow. :(
    I am too. Tomorrow is his bday so no harm no foul! TFJ took a nap in lieu of naan prep today (a perfectly acceptable alternative). We are doing wagyu carne asada tacos tonight and the roganjosh tomorrow. 
  • 1st ground rule has gotta be: "Recipe must contain La Bomba".
    Im out! Have to find some. 

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Lady I know in IA got a case from these guys, she thinks they'll ship less to USA.
    https://www.auroraimporting.com/products/#!/product/42514 
    HTH
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I am laughing so fvcking hard right now. Great posts. Almost tired of hitting the like button for all of the awesome cooks posted. This is fantastic. 

@gmac that conversation you posted is pretty rerepresentative of LS. Always willing to help another egghead out. Never tooting  his own horn, even though he could cook rings around most of us. And he knew it. But wanted you to be a great cook too. 

That’s classy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    My last salvo for the amazing brother I knew as Little Steven.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking

Foghorn said:
    Yep.  You definitely have your mise en place.
    Mise-en-place is the religion of all good line cooks. Do not f*ck with a line cook’s ‘meez’ — meaning his setup, his carefully arranged supplies of sea salt, rough-cracked pepper, softened butter, cooking oil, wine, backups, and so on. 
    Funny that you mention this. We had friends over for lunch today and had a great time. Caliqueen knows not to mess with anything in the kitchen when I’m cooking, but these folks didn’t. I step back inside after a couple of fingers of bourbon, and find that everything’s jacked up because the wife was trying to clean. Nearly lost my sh!t. 

• gmac
    caliking said:
    I am laughing so fvcking hard right now. Great posts. Almost tired of hitting the like button for all of the awesome cooks posted. This is fantastic. 

@gmac that conversation you posted is pretty rerepresentative of LS. Always willing to help another egghead out. Never tooting  his own horn, even though he could cook rings around most of us. And he knew it. But wanted you to be a great cook too. 

That’s classy. 
    He was a class act all around. I have IMs with his phone and cell if I ever needed any help at all. He was what made this forum the best. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Never met the man but did think of him while working this cook. 

Buttermilk brined thighs and legs with house made bbq sauce. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker Those tacos are over the top.  Homemade tortillas, wagyu beef, and homemade _________. 
    Beautiful.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking

This was our “bail out” cook but somehow I don’t feel like we laid down on this one.

What a slacker...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited May 2018
    In search of some insight-I seem to recall (through a fog) that LS enjoyed a Canadian whisky(ey?); Forty Creek ?? or Crown Royal??.
    Please give me the proper direction-with May 7th his B'day I want to get it right (more than one selection is fine) and toss some back in his honour.   

Apologize for the last -minute request bit I am old and slow.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Killed it, @CT.  I am now back in on corn tortillas, so I should probably just head over. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking said:
    After about 6 hrs in the sun (yeah, I caved) and about 1.5 days in the fridge, we got some chicken satay on the egg. 

Plated shot:

Served it with brown jasmine rice and steamed broccoli. The coriander really popped and the cashew peanut sauce was REALLY good. Caliprince is into the whole meat on a stick deal, so he ate his pretty much as shown.

I popped the meat off the other skewers and let them swim in the sauce (marinade cooked on the top grid in the 1st pic). And it got even better. Sort of like a Southeast Asian chicken satay masala or whatever. Can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow!

Great recipe, LS. Thanks for sharing it.
    Wow. That looks incredible. You made it all pretty and stuff. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    lkapigian said:
    Cheers @Little Steven 

Because of many if this ^^^^ this is the last shot of the cook...Thanks@"Little Steven" for bringing us together this day

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Wow. That looks incredible. You made it all pretty and stuff. 
    It was a special cook, so I figured I should do it right :) 

I've (re)discovered coriander in non- Indian cooking, and liking it . I should have grilled at higher temp to get some more char on them though .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Based on thread title this does not qualify but I am toasting LS with several Molson's Canadians for the remainder of this day.  Rest in peace!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    No picture post, but I did some Rogan Gosh. Tried to sub the red coloring from alkanet w. purplish from anchiote. But also added saffron to make the sauce a bit more special. The taste was fine, but the blend of yellow orange and purple brown really didn't work. The unappetizing image was not Little Steven worthy.

Nevertheless, hats off to LS, you raised the bar.
  • caliking
    @gdenby I applaud the rogan josh cook and the sentiment behind it. The saffron was a nice touch .

But I'm confused about this business about the food coloring. Rogan josh shouldn't need any added coloring, and I don't recall ever seeing any recipes that call for any either.

Maybe try without any added coloring next time?

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    caliking said:
    @gdenby I applaud the rogan josh cook and the sentiment behind it. The saffron was a nice touch .

But I'm confused about this business about the food coloring. Rogan josh shouldn't need any added coloring, and I don't recall ever seeing any recipes that call for any either.

Maybe try without any added coloring next time?
    The "red" in Rogan is partly from Kashmiri pepper powder, which is much like paprika. The finer bright red, which also shows in tandoori chicken, is from the roots of flower commonly called bugloss, less often alkanet. It produces a brilliant red color, and is also good for dying wool. Recipes I know about mention that the final step is to saute the alkanet in ghee, and pour that on top of the mix, producing a pool of brilliant red.

I think the problem is that the redness I tried to introduce with water soluble anchiote was a bad color mix w. the saffron. The fat in the sauce took the saffron, and turned a very pleasant yellow, but the meat mix was, umm, about the color of peat moss.