Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Annual Little Steven Memorial Cook Thread

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Color-wise, I think Indian/Pakistani food can look unappetizing. Until you taste it :)

I think the coloring part of the recipe you're following is a tad wonky.  Rogan josh is usually claimed as a Kashmiri recipe, and yes, red color is typically imparted from Kashmiri pepper, but also from cockscomb flowers. It sounds like the recipe you're using is trying to sub alkanet for the cockscomb. Most recipes these days skip the cockscomb flowers because they are hard to source for most people. 

I'll be visiting a friend in Seattle next month who has cockscomb in his garden. I'm going to see if I can convince him to let me have a flower to cook with!

Having said that, taste still trumps appearance.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Pulled out the Darth Maul Party cup for the evening round of cooks. Pretty sure this was put into service at the Salado eggfest LS attended (and curried up my egg). @caliking is this they way you remember it? 

That cup has haunted me for years. In a good way though. Reminds me of happy, good times. 

That cup has seen some good stuff IIRC. 

• caliking
    Options
    Happy Birthday to one of the greats. I got my egg all curried up for you again. Rogan Josh from cali’s recipe above. Homemade naan in the Roccbox, lemon rice and Courgette Koftas (zucchini “pancakes” with spicy tomato gravy). TFJ did all the heavy lifting while I did the heavy drinking :). Looks like daddy is doing the drunk dishes tonight (dangit). 

The food was incredible and remembering Steve’s good nature and antics was even better. Here’s to you, pal. I hope your family finds some comfort and humor in all of this. I know I did. Thanks to all who shared a story or a cook. Thanks to Stike who was sharing behind the scenes and most of all, thanks to Steve for being such a good dude to so many of us on here. 
    Well said. And well done. Y'all know how to throw down some Indian grub. 

And thanks for bringing us all together again, LS. Happy birthday, buddy. Raised a few bevvies in your honor tonight.

Rounding things off with a chicken korma kind of thing tonight. Shooting from the hip, but it smells awesome. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  Wow, you've outdone yourself, every dish looks amazing. Naan looks more authentic than some Indian restaurants. Care to share your garam masala recipe please? (Confession: I've bought commercial prepacked garam masala mix and reverse engineered to individual ingredients, still tweaking  :) )

I guess you have to send the winner's prize of this thread to yourself!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Cheers Steven!  I'm ashamed to post this following OP's cook above  :)

canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  Wow, you've outdone yourself, every dish looks amazing. Naan looks more authentic than some Indian restaurants. Care to share your garam masala recipe please? (Confession: I've bought commercial prepacked garam masala mix and reverse engineered to individual ingredients, still tweaking  :) )

TFJ makes it but I’ll get it from her and post here. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The blue bottle is the exclamation.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Garam masala 
    Credit Shefali Ravula
    ¼ cup coriander seeds
    2 tbsp.cumin seeds (black or regular)
    3 tbsp. green cardamom pods, lightly smashed
    2 cinnamon sticks, each 3 inches long, broken
    2 tbsp. whole cloves
    2 tsp. black peppercorns
    7-8 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)

Heat large cast iron over medium heat and add spices. Toast for just a few minutes, stirring frequently. When the aroma of the spice is released, it is time to remove the pan form the heat. Move spices to a cool plate. When completely cool, grind into powder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Cheers Steven!  I'm ashamed to post this following OP's cook above  :)

You mean OP’s wife (Op’s Wife coooked all of that- for hours). OP did nothing but talk sh!t and take credit as always :lol:
  • caliking
    Options

Garam masala 
    Credit Shefali Ravula
    ¼ cup coriander seeds
    2 tbsp.cumin seeds (black or regular)
    3 tbsp. green cardamom pods, lightly smashed
    2 cinnamon sticks, each 3 inches long, broken
    2 tbsp. whole cloves
    2 tsp. black peppercorns
    7-8 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)

Heat large cast iron over medium heat and add spices. Toast for just a few minutes, stirring frequently. When the aroma of the spice is released, it is time to remove the pan form the heat. Move spices to a cool plate. When completely cool, grind into powder.

Dude... big ups to you and TFJ. For measuring cinnamon in inches (like any brown cook worth their salt) and listing an ingredient as "tej patta" ! Love it.

Patta means leaf, btw. There. Taught you some Hindi too :) 

• caliking
    Options
    And fvck. That rogan josh looks fabulous. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    It was. TFJ is out of her mind with these cooks. I am left in the dust as a Simple grill cook/bbq guy. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    caliking said:
    It was. TFJ is out of her mind with these cooks. I am left in the dust as a Simple grill cook/bbq guy. 
    Me too.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    After the Chana Masala y’all brought to our last shindig, caliqueen dared anyone to close their eyes and say that a brown aunty hadn’t made it.  

No joke. 

• Canugghead
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Please convey my thanks to TFJ.

FWIW, this is the recipe I reverse engineered from a commercial pack, literally separated and weighed each ingredient  :s  Have been omitting Nagkeshar and Clove leaves since I have no luck finding them.

Why bother mixing my own? I prefer to roast and grind small batches as needed, for maximum aroma and freshness.

Garam Masala recipe        
    Weight in Grams Full 1/2 1/3 1/4
    Coriander seeds 41.2 20.6 13.7 10.3
    Cumin seeds 24.0 12.0 8.0 6.0
    Black Peppercorns 14.5 7.3 4.8 3.6
    Cinnamon Bark 33.6 16.8 11.2 8.4
    Cloves 18.5 9.3 6.2 4.6
    Anistar 16.7 8.4 5.6 4.2
    Black Cardamon 16.7 8.4 5.6 4.2
    Fennel Seeds 6.0 3.0 2.0 1.5
    Mace 6.7 3.4 2.2 1.7
    Nagkeshar 3.6 1.8 1.2 0.9
    Bay Leaves 16.2 8.1 5.4 4.1
    Clove Leaves 4.4 2.2 1.5 1.1

canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    After the Chana Masala y’all brought to our last shindig, caliqueen dared anyone to close their eyes and say that a brown aunty hadn’t made it.  

No joke. 
    Too kind. We like it but don’t have anything to compare it to. 
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

No joke. 
    Too kind. We like it but don’t have anything to compare it to. 
    No need to compare. Yours is one of the best home versions we've had, across the board. 

• caliking
    Options
    @canugghead - props to you for that endeavour. Never heard of Nagkesar (translates to cobra saffron?) but now I want to know what it tastes like. 

Garam masala is what you want it to be. Like "curry powder". I love seeing what variations folks use.  I've been making a version of Madhur Jaffrey's, that is pretty simple, and has a fair bit of cardamom. Black cumin makes a noticeable difference IMO. 

And you're absolutely right that making it in small batches is the way to go. 

• Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking we've tried different recipes and commercial whole-grain packs, this one is our favourite so I figured it was worth the painstaking divide and copy! Have to remember to try black cumin seeds next time.
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @caliking we've tried different recipes and commercial whole-grain packs, this one is our favourite so I figured it was worth the painstaking divide and copy! Have to remember to try black cumin seeds next time.
    Love the ful/half/third/quarter measurements.  thanks!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker you need a drug dealer's scale though  =)

canuckland
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party, but I didn't have time or energy to cook last week. I wanted to contribute to Steven's thread because of all he did for fellow eggheads. I take a lot from this site, from people like Steven.

Couple of T-bones, caveman style. Forgot how good t-bones were, haven't had one for quite a while. They are win-win for The Grizz (Grizzly) and I; he gets the bone, I get the meat!!!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Some great cooks here.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    @Cashfan not late to the party - just extending the rolling of the smoke in honor of an all around good guy. 

Caveman style is the best way I can  grill a steak. Good eats ya got there :)

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Thank you for posting this as his birthday is May 7th. I will be cooking something in his honour that evening and pound a few Canadian beers while doing so.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.