Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Bacon day -Saturday Dec 30th

Options
Consider this a head's up for advance menu planning:

"BACON DAY

Bacon Day is observed annually on December 30th.

In the United States and Canada, bacon is made from the pork belly. Elsewhere in the world, the side and back cuts of pork are used. The meat is cured in either a salt brine or in a salt pack. It is then either dried, boiled or smoked.

Bacon is a very popular food in the USA.  You can find many items also flavored or scented with bacon including popcorn, soap, candles, air fresheners and much more.

HOW TO OBSERVE

According to the founders of Bacon Day, we are encouraged to eat a variety of bacon while watching Kevin Bacon movies, or movies with bacon in the title.  Since Bacon Day was created before the Discovery Channel show How It’s Made debuted, it’s safe to say, we can eat our bacon and watch those, too.  Giving and receiving gifts of bacon is also recommended.  Other suggested traditions such as bacon toasts and kissing under pork fat mistletoe are mentioned as well. Use #BaconDay to post on social media."

The last of my forum responsibilities for 2017.

Go forth and enjoy.  Post up those bacon creations on Saturday!

@henapple- please tread lightly ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nobody can top that one, Nola

/thread. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Nobody can top that one, Nola

/thread. 
    Or we hope it's not topped!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You would think with the popularity of this staple of life, bacon, there might be a Bacon Day in every month. Great thing about turkey for Christmas dinner is the clubhouse sammies using up the leftovers. Not sure if it is the turkey or the bacon used in the clubhouse, definitely a favourite around our house. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Well, it's a good thing I just finished a 5lb batch of hickory-smoked bacon!!!!!!
  • BugCollector
    Options
    Oh the irony.  I pointed out that the temp hasn't risen over 40 degrees today.  We have 3 slabs of pork belly in the freezer, uncured and unsmoked.  We will be celebrating National Bacon Day in a big way this year with all 3 slabs smoking with hickory chips.  Can't wait.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Everyday should be bacon day.  And whoever made ^ this taco ... pure genius.

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have 48lbs going in the smoke Friday night. Good timing on my part! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I have a little bacon Cap.  I’ll be sure to cook some more up. Happy New Year. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2017
    Options
    48 lbs in the dishwasher for a little overnight cold smoke. Using the AMS in place of the firebox and it works like a champ. Sucks the smoke right down through the mixing tubes and evenly distributes throughout. If you set it too close it actually stokes the fire and ignites the pellets. That fan is strong. 

I will be ready to celebrate this most glorious holiday

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    Thanks for the above post.  I was wondering how you were gonna get an overnight smoke on the dishwasher w/o some wood feeding requirements.  Great adaptation right there.  Yes, I am on for the holiday but not nearly as monumental as your offering.  Enjoy the smoke and results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks for the above post.  I was wondering how you were gonna get an overnight smoke on the dishwasher w/o some wood feeding requirements.  Great adaptation right there.  Yes, I am on for the holiday but not nearly as monumental as your offering.  Enjoy the smoke and results.
    You can throw a tube smoker in the firebox but I don’t have one of those. The maze is too wide for the box but works perfectly with it removed. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Every day, is bacon day.
    You should here our "Ohhhhhhhhh BACON!!!" cheer.  Makes me  :) every time the boys all do it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited December 2017
    Options
    From my last batch of hickory smoked bacon.

(not sure why pic is not showing)
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Focker said:
    Every day, is bacon day.
    You should here our "Ohhhhhhhhh BACON!!!" cheer.  Makes me  :) every time the boys all do it.

That bacon cheer is not just for kids.  

I had steak and onions with eggs for breakie - not sure how I managed to screw up bacon day.  Gonna have to have bacon for dinner to make up for it.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Didn't happen cuz no photography but Cap, we topped or MM grilled cheeseburgers with smoky bacon.  Thanks for the prompt.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bgebrent - I've got the LBGE fired up now.  A few hours later than planned due to the proverbial family audible but I am dialed in now and a few fuel loads short of LEO.  I will post a typical hosed up pic once I land it on the BGE.  After that-it's gonna be quite a ride.  
    BTW- As you well know, I'm not big on the pics but if shooting big protein the money shot is the deal for me.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    #dishwasherenvy

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Returning home to my first bacon experiment (with a small bellylet) soon. Not sure how it will turn out since nobody was around to flip it every other day or so. It’ll either be rancid or good by now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As you would expect-a pi$$ poor pic but below are some ABT's and bacon wrapped armadillo eggs riding shotgun (in the back) over some bacon crusted mac & cheese.  Until next year!

Thanks for lookin'.  Happy New Year early!
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    First batch of homemade bacon on now.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @GaBGE - your timing is perfect.  Bring it home.  
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Like Lou, I had Mac & Cheese on my mind.  Enlisted the aid of my dear wife in prepping one of the Pioneer Woman's mac & cheese recipes.  Of course being National Bacon Day bacon had to play a role.

Assembled a bacon weave over a petite loaf pan and seasoned with brown sugar and Honey Hog rub.  One extra piece of pig candy for a mid cook treat.

33 minutes in the bacon was tightening up and pulling back some.  The pig candy slice was looking done.

After about an hour of cooking found the bacon looking pretty good up top but the bottons could use a little more time.  I drained some bacon grease out of the wells after this:

Cut the bacon in to bowls (some didn't hold together too well) and placed back into the pan and topped with the mac & cheese and topped with more cheese (used cheddar, Colby jack, and pepper jack).  Added the PS Woo extender and placed the rest of the mac & cheese on the upper grid.

And the finish:

Not bad for the first time making bacon bowls and the mac & cheese recipe.  We learned some things to take into account the next time we make either the mac & cheese or bacon bowls.  For the mac & cheese, we think we'd mix a little more cheese in with the mac and top with a little less.  For the bacon bowls, I'd want to take into account bacon shrinkage from cooking and increase the bacon to bowl ratio.  Probably could crisp the bottom a little more as well.  Overall, it was a fun and pretty tasty cook.  Thanks for looking and thanks Lou for starting the thread.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I would like to celebrate bacon every day. My favorite Sammie has been, and forever will be, a BLT with Duke's, on My Beautiful Wife's super delicious baked bread.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I would like to celebrate bacon every day. My favorite Sammie has been, and forever will be, a BLT with Duke's, on My Beautiful Wife's super delicious baked bread.
    Ron, if ever the truth was spoken.....wishing you both the best of New Years. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q - talk about truly celebrating National Bacon Day.  Very creative and great looking groceries right there.  Congrats.  Dang!