Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Official Labor Day Pizza Throwdown Voting Page

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    smbishop said:
    My 12 year old daughter's entry!

Nice lookin' entry by the young lady.  Thanks for the reminder, to get the boy back behind the wheel.   :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hotwingking
    Options
    Guess I should put my entry in the proper thread
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Mellow mushroom copycat recipe for the dough. 

Pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives and artichoke hearts marinated in basil EVOO and lemon white balsamic.

And and the finished product. I actually burned the bottom due to a bad dome thermometer and I preheated the stone a little too long I think. Still ate the top. Lol

Sure looks great, and you get credit from me for sharing that you burned the bottom since that would be impossible to know without your admission.
    Stillwater, MN
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Some of yall on here really make me sick! My pizza game sucks!  I'm not anywhere close to the pizzas in this thread. Guess I should just keep trying. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd like to make a confession.   Earlier I said don't post early because you lose.  People agreed, which played into my subterfuge.  Post early and you have an advantage of additional time exposure. 

I'm a cheating jerk.  Sorry.
    Options
    Legume said:
    We started with the best of intentions.  Modified Roberta's dough with 50/50 "00" and KA bread flour.  Defrosted a really nice chunk of brisket in the SV for a couple of hours at 160F, it was all jiggly.  Made a batch of the JIC/APL chicken satay.  Pickled our own jalapeños, cukes and carrots.  That was all prep work, then our pizza friends came over - they love pizza, they love to make pizza with us.

There was fire to be made, my XL hadn't been used since Harvey visited and it seems the lump was a bit moist - well, there was an abundance of ash that was moist, kind of like wet newspaper.  I soldiered on, the airflow on the XL had never failed me, so with limited time and a couple of beers in me, I hit the lump with the weed burner and hoped for the best (rather than clean it out - judgement already slipping).  30 min later, laying on the ground with a wire coat hanger clearing the holes in the bottom of the fire grate.  10 min later, leaf blower aimed in the bottom vent to force feed the fire.  That did it, fire going.  I'm thirsty.

Friend spots the bitters out on the bar.  Yes, I answered, I've been playing around with old fashioneds.  Sure, I'll make a couple, but then it's back to beer because it's still early and we have to keep our wits about us.  Dogfishhead 90 min and Lagunitas IPA were the beers of choice, I'm not sure my theory was sound.  Onward.

The plan was to make a Thai chicken pizza and a brisket pizza.  The ingredients were prepped, the wives were stretching dough and we had conquered fire, so we stumbled back inside.

Oops.  Time to get that first pizza on, but we need some supplies if we're going to work with fire.  Gotta hydrate.

For anyone keeping score at home, that's Jameson Caskmates Series, Stout edition on the right - unreal.  New definition of smooth.  I wonder where they could've found stout barrels in Ireland.

Anyway, pizza.  No pic of the Thai chicken pizza, it was good, not great.  The chicken was terrific - try that recipe if you haven't, but we botched the sauce and it was less than our best effort.

On to the brisket pizza.  Bbq sauce/pizza sauce base.  Loads of mozzarella, brisket, home pickled jalapeños (looks like we got some red ripe ones in there too), sprinkling of crumbled feta to finish it.  This was very good, will be part of our standard rotation now.  What is missing from this pic is the diced homemade pickles we added after it came off (buzzed photography usually means bad timing).  We chopped them like pickle relish without the sweet saucy bits, just diced, tart pickles.  Perfect tart touch of fresh on the pizza.

So then, what's left to do but make one more, 1/2 and 1/2, or in this case, 1/3 and 2/3.  Thai chicken on the left, more brisket pizza on the right.  As you can probably see if you hold your head just right or if you're and architect that has advanced understanding of perspectives, both pizzas are perfectly round.  I really took those pics at weird angles to camouflage the retentiveness applied to the dough prep and hopefully I succeeded to the untrained eye.  Perfectly round is downright embarrassing, I would rather give the impression that I don't care.

Final count, three pizzas, 1 1/3 Thai chicken and 1 2/3 brisket pizza.  Four happy friends.  40 fingers still attached since we prepped ahead of time and one meat-sweaty egg once I really got the fire going and it was able to purge all of that moisture.

A great Sunday night.
    The hell with the pizza...wish I was there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Legume - epic post man.  Hilarious.  Sounds like a good time was had by all.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options

So this on a dough that is 50/50 tipo 00 and bread flour, salt, yeast and water cold fermented.  I love this dough, it's my go-to.

I brush olive oil on the rolled out dough, then add some spices to get "extracted" via the oil.  The oil also protects the dough from sogginess.

The toppings are:

Genoa salami
    hot sopressota
    pepper salami
    goat cheese
    goat brie
    havarti
    gouda
    sun dried tomatoes and basil compote
    green peppers, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, onion, etc.
    topped with cracked black pepper and course grind red pepper

It tasted better than anything I've had a restaurants recently.  Crust crispy and perfect.  I wish I could post flavor.
    You had me @ Salami
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

BUMP.  

I'm out, but enjoying the thread.  Lots of great submissions.

Phoenix 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    For those who prefer a simply elEGGant thin-crust pizza …

My vote doesn't mean a whole lot around these parts, but for whatever my vote counts, I vote this pizza the winner.  Thin crust is an absolute must!! You taste your toppings, you save the carbs, and most importantly, you leave plenty of room for more beer.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    A little less than 12hrs left. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    75 minutes left. Get your vote on! 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who participated. Lots of great looking pies. It was a close race with a lot of votes. Congrats to @nolaegghead with 21 likes. Looking forward to Nola hosting the next throwdown. 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited September 2017
    Options
    239 likes for the 19 pies submitted. Very impressive. Thanks again everyone! #wooooo
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Woooooooo!  Nice throw down nature boy. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Tasking Nola with the next throwdown is like handing a can of gasoline to an arsonist.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Tasking Nola with the next throwdown is like handing a can of gasoline to an arsonist.  
    With a lit blow torch. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SaltySam I feel pretty good about being #10 on your likes. Happy 10th anniversary to you and your bride. Me and my bride celebrated our 19th on Monday. Great looking deep dish. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Congrats to @smbishop whose 12-year old daughter finished second!  I hope this leads to many father-daughter cooks, and much happiness!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Is it too late to enter?  I may have posted in the wrong thread. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Is it too late to enter?  I may have posted in the wrong thread. 
    Following instructions is key. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Is it too late to enter?  Nichole may have posted in the wrong thread. 
    FTFY
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nola posted early because he knew that otherwise he'd be too drunk to make the deadline.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Nola posted early because he knew that otherwise he'd be too drunk to make the deadline.
    He might be drunk about now.