Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Akorn Jr. for $91 @ Amazon

Options

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Definitely the bottom. I looked at the two latches  and thought I'd try some silicone there. Haven't yet. What happens is, the ash tray fills up, but also, the space between the inner and out shell. You can pour it out (mostly), but it's a design flaw for sure.

I suspect once the ash tray fills, water will go out the same way it got in. So it shouldn't get up to the lump. Keep on cookin'!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Definitely the bottom. I looked at the two latches  and thought I'd try some silicone there. Haven't yet. What happens is, the ash tray fills up, but also, the space between the inner and out shell. You can pour it out (mostly), but it's a design flaw for sure.

I suspect once the ash tray fills, water will go out the same way it got in. So it shouldn't get up to the lump. Keep on cookin'!
    Store the ash pan inverted, on the grill.  Bottom open.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    That's a thought. Kind of a pain though, plus you have to wait til the fire goes out. Then the only issue is getting caught in a storm mid-cook.

BTW, different issue...I did a dollar bill test on mine the other day. Wanted to see if that bogus latch is really necessary. It did pretty well for most of the circumference, not so much up near the handle. But I cooked some 400° thighs last night without the latch and temp held pretty well. Probably a good idea to use it at shutdown though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Options
    Bogus latch = top latch?

you definitely need the bottom ones latched or you'll quickly get to 600+ and get flames licking out that bottom gap.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    You can probably get away without hooking the top latch on some cooks but given how light the dome is and the thickness of the gasket I'm guessing it really isn't just "bogus".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Yeah, the top one. It's just an annoyance so I thought I'd try without. Wasn't bad.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    You can probably get away without hooking the top latch on some cooks but given how light the dome is and the thickness of the gasket I'm guessing it really isn't just "bogus".
    I usually don't, just shut down / storage, but I don't try to maintain 225 either.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Well what can I say, Picked one up from my neighborhood Walmart for 74. Peer pressure. 
    Lets see what a steel Acorn can do. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Let me be the first to ask, will a Rutland gasket fit the Jr.?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It already includes a gasket better than BGE.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    You guys overthink everything. Lmao
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Akorn stone arrived today. Fits well in my small woo, which lives in a mini max. This thing will have identity problems ..
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I've had one for a couple of years at our winter place. They work just fine. For sure they leak. I opened mine up after not using it for a couple of weeks and the grill was all rusty from the moisture sitting in the bottom. A cover is a good idea!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Akorn stone arrived today. Fits well in my small woo, which lives in a mini max. This thing will have identity problems ..
    Will a small woo and stone work in akorn jr?

Little Rock, AR

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Tried, it won't. Tried the medium too, a little too big. 
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Solid late lunch from Junior with Aldi angus and Italian sassage, RO and JD chips at 275.  Pops is watching the boy tonight, got a free pass for JCM at the fair.  Lady friend is driving, this may get ugly.   =)
    A late pregame meal...

Piehole approved, lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Someone I know bought one the other day. He said the bolts for the handle were hard to line up. He drilled larger holes in the handle. Said it made putting the bolts in much easier. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    Someone I know bought one the other day. He said the bolts for the handle were hard to line up. He drilled larger holes in the handle. Said it made putting the bolts in much easier. 
    The bolts were a bit tricky but nothing that should have required drilling. A long handled screwdriver did the trick.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Tried, it won't. Tried the medium too, a little too big. 
    Is it too small so it wont sit on the firebowl/ring?

Little Rock, AR

• Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My handle bolts were fine, but there is play, just enough to bug the shat out of me, when you grab and lift, by the terrible 3 part design.  So today, I took a couple small pieces of double sided grey 3M tape and wedged it in the bottom of each side with a toothpick.  No more loose play when grabbing the handle.  You can't even see it, and my handle is never coming off.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There is a guy.  @henapple has got the hook-up for all things rutland.  Lmao 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Focker said:
    My handle bolts were fine, but there is play, just enough to bug the shat out of me, when you grab and lift, by the terrible 3 part design.  So today, I took a couple small pieces of double sided grey 3M tape and wedged it in the bottom of each side with a toothpick.  No more loose play when grabbing the handle.  You can't even see it, and my handle is never coming off.
    Excellent and simple solution to a tiny, but nagging problem. Thanks, I will be copying your idea, but will give you full credit if my wife should ask if it was my idea.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited August 2017
    Options
    That will be a great conversation.  

"That's a great idea.  Well done."

"It wasn't my idea.  I got it from some Focker on the internet."

@epcotisbest, it seems like you're better off just taking credit.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My handle went together fine.  You need to screw the bolts in evenly, a little at a time, like you're putting on a tire.  
    Options
    If you handle is loose, do what I said above, it might fix it. 
    Options
    Griffin said:
    If I didn't already have a Mini BGE that I never use, I'd be tempted to pick one up for $74
    +1, except its a MiniMax in my case. Still some left at WM near me.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you handle is loose, do what I said above, it might fix it. 
    I think with mine nola, it has more to do about the 3 pieces and how the two ends loosely fit into the notches on the middle piece, than bolt tightening.  

Not major, but felt cheap every time I lifted it.
    It's much better now.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That will be a great conversation.  

"That's a great idea.  Well done."

"It wasn't my idea.  I got it from some Focker on the internet."

@epcotisbest, it seems like you're better off just taking credit.
    Lmfao!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Ok I am blaming you guys for this. I decided to check Wal-mart. They didn't have any Akorn Jr's left, but I did end up with Weber Q-1200 for 50% off. My wife wanted a regular grill to cook on and I have been intrigued by this little grill. I have been gasser free since 2010 so I feel a little guilty. I am sticking by the story that it is my wife's grill.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Options
    Ok I am blaming you guys for this. I decided to check Wal-mart. They didn't have any Akorn Jr's left, but I did end up with Weber Q-1200 for 50% off. My wife wanted a regular grill to cook on and I have been intrigued by this little grill. I have been gasser free since 2010 so I feel a little guilty. I am sticking by the story that it is my wife's grill.
    I bought a new gas grill this year, replaced a dead one.  No shame, I use it for some things.  My wife uses it.  It's convenient.