Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biggest brisket on an xl BGE?

JoeyB106
JoeyB106 Posts: 36
hey guys what's the biggest brisket that you have done on your egg? Today I will be smoking a 21 pound brisket on my xl egg 
Joey B

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2017
    There is no brisket too large for the XL. You do want to make sure that the meat is shielded by the plate setter/indirect piece. If it hangs over use foil or foil pans to protect the meat hanging over. Or, use something to drape the brisket over such as in inverted V-rack, loaf pan, foil wrapped brick, etc. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JoeyB106
    edited July 2017
    I have to see how it fits but most likely I'll be using a v rack. 
    Joey B
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    You have a long cut right there.  The weight of the brisket is not the controlling deal.  It is the layout.  Some are quite wide throughout and are easier to fit.  Every cut is an adventure of its own.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I've done 19+.  Never over 20, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it if that was the brisket that felt best at the store - or if I needed that much meat as I would probably prefer to do 1 20 pounder than 2 10 pounders.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I've done a 21.5 from SRF, but after trimming it was probably 16-17 pounds.  No problem fitting on the XL, but that beast was pretty wide.  A V-rack may be needed if it's really long. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited July 2017
    I have only seen one brisket that would not have fit and I've never seen one from a store that wouldn't.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Yo @The Cen-Tex Smoker  I've started travelling to Dallas and Austin recently and wanted to bring home a few packers on my flight.  I've been grabbing them at Costco, but I heard HEB is a pretty good source.  Are there some reliable sources you know in the $3-$4 range for prime? 

Thanks manm
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs said:
    Yo @The Cen-Tex Smoker  I've started travelling to Dallas and Austin recently and wanted to bring home a few packers on my flight.  I've been grabbing them at Costco, but I heard HEB is a pretty good source.  Are there some reliable sources you know in the $3-$4 range for prime? 

Thanks manm

Don't know about Dallas but HEB Austin (at least close to me carries better grade. I actually prefer the Meyer All natural Choice over almost all other prime. We do get some Meyer prime sometimes as well but the choice are amazing. They are roughly $4.50-$5 per lb (even the choice)  and worth every dime. I think the prime stuff is still under $4 these days. Been a while since I bought one. I wouldn't say the basic prime briskets at HEB are any better or worse than you could find at Costco so I wouldn't chase too hard. The Meyer or anything labeled "all natural" at HEB are better than most prime I've had (HEB, Costco, RD etc). They are more $ than prime but worth it. You can feel it through the bag. They are squishy as hell and flop in half when you pick them up.
  • JoeyB106
    And here we go!!!
    Joey B
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, have you tried the HEB Prime 1 - vs their regular prime?  @GoooDawgs, if you see it available it is definitely worth a shot.  I got 5 recently for $3.99/pound after it was recommended to be by multiple award-winning barbecue teams at a benefit I attended.  They all said that they have used Creekstone prime (Aaron Franklin's source) and they prefer HEB Prime 1.  After cooking 5 of them, I have to agree.

@JoeyB106, it looks like you are off to a great start.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited July 2017
    Foghorn said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, have you tried the HEB Prime 1 - vs their regular prime?  @GoooDawgs, if you see it available it is definitely worth a shot.  I got 5 recently for $3.99/pound after it was recommended to be by multiple award-winning barbecue teams at a benefit I attended.  They all said that they have used Creekstone prime (Aaron Franklin's source) and they prefer HEB Prime 1.  After cooking 5 of them, I have to agree.

@JoeyB106, it looks like you are off to a great start.
    They do not have different grades of prime at mine, they are all labeled Prime 1 if they are prime. It can be Excel, IBP, Meyer etc but they all have the prime 1 sticker if its prime. Same with steaks and ground beef. I have always assumed that is their brand for anything prime. 
  • JoeyB106
    FarmerTom said:
    For my daughters wedding last fall, I had 2-18+ pounders on the lower grid and 2-16+ on a second level I had fabricated. And a 14+ on my medium.  Best briskets I have ever cooked. Mr. Woodford contributed greatly to my skills that day. 

Wow that's amazing!!! 
    Joey B
  • JoeyB106
    13 1/2 hours in and still going strong holding 180
    Joey B
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Like some of the others on here, I have done multiple briskets on the same BGE at one time. The most I have done is 36# after healthy trimming. Each one had their own schedule for completion, great food, and worth the time invested.
    Did a double (stacked) rack, largest briskets on top. Worked out pretty well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Very nice looking. I will be doing a 20lb this weekend.