Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chocolate Pots de Creme: recipe from Butt Blast

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @thetrim can you share the recipe from the book? I want to make but don't need 10 lol
    Cut John's recipe in this post in half. 
    Yup.    That's it.   He transcribed it perfectly - almost to the word!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @thetrim can you share the recipe from the book? I want to make but don't need 10 lol
    You NEED 10. Trust me. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I made some for guests tonignt. Am I a cool kid now? (Pics later)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Also if you have Godiva Dark Chocolate Liquer give it a go. We loved it!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• thetrim
    Options
    I didn't add any liquor but am glad to have 10. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited May 2017
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Her recipe from the book is on her website - https://blog.nomiku.com/monday-nomday-chocolate-pots-de-creme/

@JohnInCarolina recipe is slightly different. 

EDIT...

I was curious if the recipe on her website was the same as in her book and...it isn't. So not only is JIC's slightly different, her own recipe is slightly different. :)

Some changes have been made to the recipe since she posted it a few years ago. Here's a crappy pic of the page from her book:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Thanks captain...
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    slovelad said:
    Her recipe from the book is on her website - https://blog.nomiku.com/monday-nomday-chocolate-pots-de-creme/

EDIT...

I was curious if the recipe on her website was the same as in her book and...it isn't. So not only is JIC's slightly different, her own recipe is slightly different. :)

Some changes have been made to the recipe since she posted it a few years ago. Here's a crappy pic of the page from her book:

The recipe I posted is a simple doubling of this, plus the liquor.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    Options
    Here's my first effort.  Positive reviews all around.  
    Redi whip on top.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    slovelad said:

EDIT...

The recipe I posted is a simple doubling of this, plus the liquor.
    Gotcha. Didn't go back and check the recipe you posted to see if there were any other differences than the liquor which I did remember you used.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Redi whip on top.  
    Stewie likes "cool hwip". 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Take a spoonful and put it on an Oreo. Your welcome. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    gmac said:
    thetrim said:
    Redi whip on top.  
    Cool whip is good esp if you like some oil in the mix.  We happened to have some of the Redi Whip left over from a recent neighborhood party!!!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    gmac said:
    thetrim said:
    Redi whip on top.  
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmqJQ-nc_s
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    thetrim said:
    gmac said:
    thetrim said:
    Redi whip on top.  
    Cool whip is good esp if you like some oil in the mix.  We happened to have some of the Redi Whip left over from a recent neighborhood party!!!
    You guys have some interesting parties...
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • thetrim
    Options
    That's freaking hilarious. I forget exactly what it is about Cool WHip but it's some sort of artificial crap they put in it.   I still could eat an entire container without even thinking about.  
    Love The pronunciation. My daughter does something similar.  To her, "original" is pronounced "Ore-Iginal".  Almost as if it's a compound word.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Just got home from a USS Dallas Engineering Dept mini-reunion in Waterloo, NY (birthplace of Memorial Day - man that place celebrates this sacred holiday to the T). Anyhow I doubled @JohnInCarolina's recipes and somehow ended up with 24 pots. 

Our hostess did the shopping and purchased some Mexican Coffee Liqueur, turned out amazing. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics, but needless to say they were a huge hit with a bunch of drunken nukes. 

I am thinking about adding some creamy peanut butter to the next batch I make. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    These were good, John. Made a batch of 5. My pops put his head down and didn't resurface until the spoon was clinking against the empty jar :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I made it tonight for a gathering and everyone loved it. I made the whipped cream and added the coffee liquor to that - it worked well
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    These were good, John. Made a batch of 5. My pops put his head down and didn't resurface until the spoon was clinking against the empty jar :)
    This is the only proper response to these things.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    caliking said:
    @caliking, let me get this straight.  We spend the weekend together participating in AW$$2... 

You skip out on the Day 2 morning work of finishing off the sausage making and bacon, etc curing...

And I get home to read on the interwebs that you did this instead...?

WTF?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    We made 10 more Saturday....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I made it tonight for a gathering and everyone loved it. I made the whipped cream and added the coffee liquor to that - it worked well
    Love this idea - very cool!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Just got home from a USS Dallas Engineering Dept mini-reunion in Waterloo, NY (birthplace of Memorial Day - man that place celebrates this sacred holiday to the T). Anyhow I doubled @JohnInCarolina's recipes and somehow ended up with 24 pots. 

Our hostess did the shopping and purchased some Mexican Coffee Liqueur, turned out amazing. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics, but needless to say they were a huge hit with a bunch of drunken nukes. 

I am thinking about adding some creamy peanut butter to the next batch I make. 

Glad to hear these worked out for you Mike! I think if you want some nuttiness, you can mix in some Nutella and maybe some almond extract. @Eggcelsior had an idea along these lines he shared with me.
  • caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    @caliking, let me get this straight.  We spend the weekend together participating in AW$$2... 

You skip out on the Day 2 morning work of finishing off the sausage making and bacon, etc curing...

WTF?
    Don't forget that I showed up late at Indian Standard Time on day 1 too. Carefully planned and executed. There's only so much I can take of you... Despite the cooler!

These were actually done the weekend before. Felt I should report back since they were a hit.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

WTF?
    Don't forget that I showed up late at Indian Standard Time on day 1 too. Carefully planned and executed. There's only so much I can take of you... Despite the cooler!

These were actually done the weekend before. Felt I should report back since they were a hit.
    It's all making sense...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Salted Carmel 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Also lab approved. 

• caliking
    Options
    Salted Carmel 

The wife lady will go bananas when/if I  make this. Did you make the dulce de leche the recipe calls for,  or sub it with something off the shelf?