Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chocolate Pots de Creme: recipe from Butt Blast

Several folks asked for this recipe over the weekend, so here it is.  It is largely based on the recipe from the book "Sous Vide at Home" by Lisa Fetterman.  I definitely recommend the book - a lot of great recipes.  Unfortunately the recipes aren't posted online.  

This recipe makes enough for 10 4-oz mason jars.  

Ingredients:

3 cups heavy cream
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (the higher quality the better), coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of kosher salt
8 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons coffee liquer or Bailey's Irish cream (optional)

Flaky sea salt for garnish
Whipped cream

Process:

Begin to heat a decent-sized container of water to 176F (80 C) using your Sous Vide.  

In a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat.  Stir as it's heating so the cream doesn't burn.  Once it simmers, remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar, vanilla, salt, and chocolate.  Stir until smooth.  Use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the sauce pan, to lift any chocolate pieces that have settled in, and mix them back in.  Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each.  Finally, stir in the coffee liquer.  Transfer the mixture to a large liquid measuring cup for easy pouring, being sure to once again scrape any last bits of chocolate from the bottom of the pan.

Pour the mixture into the 10 mason jars.  Cap each container with a lid.  Tighten each lid to be "finger tight".  

Lower the jars into the sous vide bath, slowly.  Dropping them in quickly risks thermal shock and fracture.  Once the bath gets all the way up to temp (80C), cook the pots for 1 hour.  

When they're done, remove them from the bath with tongs.  Put them in the fridge and allow the custards to cool until they're fully set, at least 3 hours.  

To serve, unscrew the tops and add a pinch of the sea salt to the top, followed by a dollop of whipped cream. 

Enjoy!

"If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

Comments

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 12,469
    @northGacock - your wife asked about this one.  
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 16,895
    Thanks John. These things are fanfreakingtastic!
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. My wings either. 
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,232
    Thank you John!  I loved that!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • I seriously can't believe I missed all this. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,313
    Tried this Saturday and it was awesome... thanks for sharing John....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,219
    These were excellent. Thanks John! 
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 11,061
    @northGacock - your wife asked about this one.  
    Thanks.....I will pass it along...I mean will be making it for her soon .
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 6,050
    Those things were outstanding john. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 4,755
    Thanks John, Kit was asking about the recipe as well. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
    Monday recovery bump

• GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 5,995
    Those look pretty darn tasty. 
    Bookmarked for future reference.  Thanks for sharing!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pineypiney Posts: 1,329
    Thanks John, I will make soon also will order cookbook.
    Lenoir, N.C.
    Yep!

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 8,277
    Yep!

Looks fantastic.
    With the lids on finger tight, will they float around in the water bath or do you have to balance the amount of water so they don't float around?
    Thank you
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,498
    I loved those things John.  Will be making the "NA" very soon!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,157
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
    Photo Egg said:
    Yep!

Looks fantastic.
    With the lids on finger tight, will they float around in the water bath or do you have to balance the amount of water so they don't float around?
    Thank you
    Finger tight is what the recipe calls for, but I generally put the lids on fairly tight.  The jars are nearly filled to the top - maybe a quarter inch to go, so there is some trapped air but not much.  They do not float in the bath - they drop Ike rocks to the bottom.

• YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,044
    edited April 2017
    Thank you for serving these to My Beautiful Wife. I now have Marching orders with the SV. In fact, Suzy is making me stop on our way back from NC to get those jars and lids.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    edited April 2017
    YukonRon said:
    Thank you for serving these to My Beautiful Wife. I now have Marching orders with the SV. In fact, Suzy is making me stop on our way back from NC to get those jars and lids.
    Better pick them up in NC!  They don't sell them in Kentucky, because nobody there can figure out how to screw on the lids.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 28,041
    YukonRon said:
    Better pick them up in NC!  They don't sell them in Kentucky, because nobody there can figure out how to screw on the lids.
    LOL!

Those were delicious.  I could get in trouble with a recipe like that insofar as I'd need to buy a bigger belt.

Everything I consumed from a mason jar was excellent  ;)
    Oh man - @piney had some kind of Apple pie moonshine that was incredible.

• YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,044
    There was nothing that had a "meh" moment. The mason jar deserts, we're like everything else, just freakin' awesome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,657
    Thanks for the recipe. This is on the list as it would win some major points from SWMBO. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • So Wal-Mart was out of 4oz mason jars, how much would cooking time change for 8oz jars?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

So Wal-Mart was out of 4oz mason jars, how much would cooking time change for 8oz jars?
    I've done those the same amount of time and they still come out great.  You could leave them in 30 min longer if you want to be sure.

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,633
    Just got this book. I look forward to trying a lot of things in there.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Thank you!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

thetrim said:
    Just got this book. I look forward to trying a lot of things in there.   
    I've tried a good number of them.  It's a good book.  Recipes aren't too complicated, but somehow mine never come out looking quite as good as hers ;)