Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hate my fridge

Options
12346»

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    @20stone That model Traulsen is legit. G series?  There are some factory set points that can be tweaked to allow for quicker recovery and less freeze ups on the freezer models. On the G Series reach-in cooler model same tweaks give again better recovery.
    It's actually a UR series wine cooler, and can go from 32F to 65F.  I am still learning to adjust it, but when it's 55F and 75% RH, the prosciutto is going in.  Wine, too, but that's more @20stonespice's thing.  

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options

20stone said:
    My new (to me) hanging meat fridge turned up this weekend, too.

Me + Craigslist + conference calls, and all sorts of stupid things can happen.

Congrats on the new indoor fridge. It's a beaut!
    Suddenly, I hate my fridge again...
    Say it ain't so.  I try to limit the lives I destroy (or send down crazy, expensive paths) to those I know well.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • GATraveller
    Options
    20stone said:

Yea buddy! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:

20stone said:

Say it ain't so.  I try to limit the lives I destroy (or send down crazy, expensive paths) to those I know well.
    And we thank you for that? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    20stone said:

20stone said:

I'm easily influenced.

thankfully, it's not Friday or Saturday or I'd be drunkenly Amazon one clicking that sob. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    theyolksonyou said:
    I'm easily influenced.

thankfully, it's not Friday or Saturday or I'd be drunkenly Amazon one clicking that sob. 
    When you put it that way, I almost feel compelled to be a bad influence. FWIW, ebay/craigslist > amazon for the true "bargains", used commercial kitchen equipment. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options

20stone said:

20stone said:

And we thank you for that? 
    Not often enough
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Do not buy a Samsung. I bought a $3300 Samsung 18 months ago and I'm $800 in repairs outside of warranty and it's still not right. I called and asked them to help and the basically told me to pound sand. And it's not just one thing. Something different has broken every few months. Like all the shelves in the doors (like the ones that hold your milk and condiments) all fell apart. $50 each x4. One of the new ones is already cracked and it's a few weeks old. The ice maker broke and the new one sucks. $365 and it still barely works. Makes enough ice for a single person and I had to buy a steamer to defrost it every single week. It locks up and stops making ice altogether if you don't. The thermostat switch for the flex drawer went bad. Guy repaired it then the whole wiring harness went bad...That means a whole new drawer (another $300). I just decided this week to screw it- I'm cutting my losses and getting something else. Let me know if you find one you like. 
    Well, those are good reasons not to buy one, but if you Google Stinky Samsung Fridge, you will find another reason not to get one.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Do not buy a Samsung. I bought a $3300 Samsung 18 months ago and I'm $800 in repairs outside of warranty and it's still not right. I called and asked them to help and the basically told me to pound sand. And it's not just one thing. Something different has broken every few months. Like all the shelves in the doors (like the ones that hold your milk and condiments) all fell apart. $50 each x4. One of the new ones is already cracked and it's a few weeks old. The ice maker broke and the new one sucks. $365 and it still barely works. Makes enough ice for a single person and I had to buy a steamer to defrost it every single week. It locks up and stops making ice altogether if you don't. The thermostat switch for the flex drawer went bad. Guy repaired it then the whole wiring harness went bad...That means a whole new drawer (another $300). I just decided this week to screw it- I'm cutting my losses and getting something else. Let me know if you find one you like. 
    Well, those are good reasons not to buy one, but if you Google Stinky Samsung Fridge, you will find another reason not to get one.
    I can tell you the hits keep coming with this POS. By far the worst consumer appliance I have ever owned. Stay away from Samsung. It's worse than my 22 year old whirlpool garage fridge
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    20stone said:
    theyolksonyou said:
    I'm easily influenced.

When you put it that way, I almost feel compelled to be a bad influence. FWIW, ebay/craigslist > amazon for the true "bargains", used commercial kitchen equipment. 
    > goes down the tube on drinkin nights 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Still hating mine. Paid for a new one, then three days later the appliance store filed "emergency bankruptcy" and we became "unsecured creditors". In other words, we're screwed. Lol...my luck is shiit...and y'all can kiss my asss with your nice refrigerators. #yesimbitter. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeremiah bitter and dead are two of my very favorites 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Still hating mine. Paid for a new one, then three days later the appliance store filed "emergency bankruptcy" and we became "unsecured creditors". In other words, we're screwed. Lol...my luck is shiit...and y'all can kiss my asss with your nice refrigerators. #yesimbitter. 
    New fridge probably had leaky water lines. They did you a favor ;)  Seriously shltty how they strung you along brother. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited September 2017
    Options

Had Kenmore, Whirlpool, Kitchenaid appliances for past 40 years.  Easy to repair, but the last 2 houses I have furnished with Kitchenaid have been a nightmare.  The double door Stainless Steel fridge went thru 3 icemakers after it was 1.5 years old.  No waranty on any of them, so I finally gutted the icemaker, and moved to my shop for a beer fridge.  Keeps beer cold.

Newest Kitchenaid $3000 french door model fried the icemaker after 1.5 years.  Replaced icemaker.  Second icemaker caught on fire, and burned up wiring harness.  Replaced icemaker and wiring harness.  Installed the new "recall" P-trap in lower freezer drain, which fixed all the water leaking on my new maple flooring. Fridge is now 4 years old, and the lower freezer has lots of ice crystals/frost on the RH side of pull out drawer.  And the icemaker is dripping all the time, as it seems like the icecubes are melting in the icemaker. Makes lots of ice, but cubes are small.  Keep fridge at 38 and freezer at -2.  Can't find a repairman that can diagnose this problem?  As someone said, Whirlpool builds most brands of refrigerators, so I got to research one that is not built by Whirlpool!  I always paid extra for the Kitchenaid brand, but it's no better than any other Whirlpool build. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got an LG. Really like it. However, some (only one) have found it too difficult to operate the automatic ice dispenser. (Nobody in our house, just one guest)
    Outside of that, had it one year, changed the filter once, it has been stellar.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Kudos to Whirlpool 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker about the icemaker locking up - mine was doing that every now and then. Had to hit a with a hair dryer to thaw and release the ice.  Fourteen yr old Whirlpool. The water dispenser had been drippy, and then it stopped dispensing water a day before Harvey happened. 

About 20 minutes on YouTube,  and it sounded like the water valve was the issue. Ordered a $15 voltmeter and confirmed the problem. New valve was $20.  The icemaker doesn't get stuck anymore and the water spout doesn't leak. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NY9V63E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Disregard if a new fridge is in the pipeline. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Got an LG. Really like it. However, some (only one) have found it too difficult to operate the automatic ice dispenser. (Nobody in our house, just one guest)
    A real sumbich I tell ya!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Must reading for you J....http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1204944/i-love-my-frig#latest
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    A real sumbich I tell ya!
    Nah, really cool dude. He is welcome here anytime.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    We have a frigidaire gallery that came with our house that we bought a year and a half ago. This one is french doors with a freezer on the bottom. It's not bad its just not great. Our ice maker went down and I haven't fixed it just yet, it was doing the same thing (frosting, icing over, then melting and leaking onto my floor). I just turned it off completely. If we didn't have large ice makers at work I would have fixed it a while back. It is definitely frustrating. I am thinking it has something to do with our water filter or at least I am hoping that's it. My parents had a whirlpool fridge that is 17 years old and still rocking out for what that's worth. We have an LG dryer with no problems so far (2 years) but my parents remodeled their kitchen with all LG and have had lots of problems with their dishwasher and others.
    LBGE
    AL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    20stone said:

If I had the room that would be my fridge.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Buckeye79
    Options
    FWIW  The guy that keeps coming out to fix my Samsung refrigerator says to buy Frigidaire.