Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hate my fridge

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited April 2017
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    This could easily turn into a hate thread! I know several people who swear they will never have another Whirlpool product in their house, but guess what?Whirlpool now owns many popular BIG name brands, so pick your poison!

Just to name a few of them:
    MaytagKitchenAidJenn-AirAmana
    I believe Kitchenaid is made by Whirlpool 
    I think that's the point. All those brands are whirlpool 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I have a LG which is 2 years old and the ice maker works for a few days, then does not drop the ice, the water keeps trying to fill it resulting in water, then ice everywhere,  such a pain.   

Reading the the above sounds like all brands have problems.  My old fridge lasted 22 years, I will be lucky to get 5 from this one.

I do have the LG stove (the double oven one ... Nice!) and the LG washer and dryer and they are great.   I just need LG to figure out how to make a ice maker.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    This could easily turn into a hate thread! I know several people who swear they will never have another Whirlpool product in their house, but guess what?Whirlpool now owns many popular BIG name brands, so pick your poison!

Just to name a few of them:
    MaytagKitchenAidJenn-AirAmana
    I believe Kitchenaid is made by Whirlpool 
    I think that's the point. All those brands are whirlpool 
    Yep. Misread it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well, I hate my LG. Ice maker is a piece of crap. Has every brand been hated now? And are we helping at all?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Well, I hate my LG. Ice maker is a piece of crap. Has every brand been hated now?
    Yep. Except maybe the canuuk brand. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes please rant more of how much you hate xyz manufacturer. :lol:
    Please tell me the BEST one to buy :get_outta_here:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    The fridgidaire professional series are nice but they do take up a ton more room and not very practical for a lot of folks.

Fisher Paykel make very nice products but finding a dealer might end up being a bit difficult. 

Viking may be one that's not on your radar but they do make a few nice 36" French door models that are around 3k depending on what your budget looks like.

Thermador would be another one I'd consider if the budget would allow for it.

For what it's worth, I currently have a LG French Door that has been fine and no complaints here. 

I think if you try hard enough you will find someone that hates each brand, and someone that loves each brand. Every unit that goes bad, that person has nothing but time on their hands to tell of the horror stories of how horrible that company is and what a pos it is and equates their one bad unit to every one of that companies millions of units being terrible pos.

I could be wrong, but that's just my two cents, and my opinion.

Brandon - Ohio

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Yes please rant more of how much you hate xyz manufacturer. :lol:
    Please tell me the BEST one to buy :get_outta_here:

Surely one sucks less than the others. Bestow some knowledge upon us!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    We have a Thermador. Retail is $8000.00 but it came with the house so it's was free, right?

Anyway, keeps stuff cold and freezes ice real good. Looks pretty and doesn't make a peep.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My Samsung leaks water around the edges of the ice/water dispenser. Replaced and started again shortly thereafter. sa

Same here and that is what shorted out the thermostat and wiring harness. It leaks down the door and sits on the flex drawer. They decided to put delicate electronics right there where the water pools up. Genius. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    We have a counter depth Kitchen Aid Superba SxS that's been solid for 15 years except for needing to jam a hair dryer in the icemaker maybe twice a year to unfreeze it.

I bought an LG dishwasher about three years ago.  After 18 months it was as noisy as a truck.  I danced around with the store for a while and ended up paying a repairman out of pocket just to be told they all fail like that and need a new motor...which will fail too.  So I went to another store and bought a Bosch and got rid of the LG.  I know it's a diffferent animal than their refrigerators, but I had a bad experience and the repairman said it was a commmon experience.
    I have a Bosch dishwasher and induction stovetop. Both easily the best appliances we have ever owned. I'm sold on Bosch. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Legume said:
    We have a counter depth Kitchen Aid Superba SxS that's been solid for 15 years except for needing to jam a hair dryer in the icemaker maybe twice a year to unfreeze it.

I bought an LG dishwasher about three years ago.  After 18 months it was as noisy as a truck.  I danced around with the store for a while and ended up paying a repairman out of pocket just to be told they all fail like that and need a new motor...which will fail too.  So I went to another store and bought a Bosch and got rid of the LG.  I know it's a diffferent animal than their refrigerators, but I had a bad experience and the repairman said it was a commmon experience.
    I have a Bosch dishwasher and induction stovetop. Both easily the best appliances we have ever owned. I'm sold on Bosch. 
    Bosch is awesome- can't tell it's running except for the red dot it shines on the floor. Won't own anything else. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Legume said:

Bosch is awesome- can't tell it's running except for the red dot it shines on the floor. Won't own anything else. 
    mine shines a timer on the floor with how long it has to go until finished. The only way you know it's running. The induction stove...game changer. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Legume said:

mine shines a timer on the floor with how long it has to go until finished. The only way you know it's running. The induction stove...game changer. 
    We upgraded our appliances this summer and went with a Bosch dishwasher. I love how quite it is and the fact you can remove the top rack to fit big pans and buckets in the bottom.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I don't like my cooktop.  It's in an island, it's gas and it's 30".  I like the gas, but I can't get a 36" without losing part of a cabinet.  It's only wired for 110, but I'm sure they could pull new wire to it for 220, but, it's still only 30" and I can't see spending $1800 + upgrade the circuit for what would still be 30"  I'm stuck.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Does Bosch make a fridge?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Does Bosch make a fridge?
    Yes.

They also make a hell of a kitchen mixer

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I miss the days of ice boxes.  Throw in some straw, put in ice block from iceman, and stuff stays cool.

Nothing to break, no wifi notifications, etc. Why do things have to keep improving?  I think manufacturers just want to fleece us.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I miss the days of ice boxes.  Throw in some straw, put in ice block from iceman, and stuff stays cool.

Nothing to break, no wifi notifications, etc. Why do things have to keep improving?  I think manufacturers just want to fleece us.
    You were born in the 30's?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Get a Yeti.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    This reminds me of when i was shopping for a new washer and dryer.  I had a 20 year old agitation, non-high efficiency reliable washer.  2 dials and a temp setting.  Turns on when you shut the door and off when you open it.

Well it took a crap after 20 years. Time for new.  SO I research HE and learn it is a PIA.  Next I learn that it is very likely the water will go off balance one day and drive ahoy through your wall.  Next I learn that SOME repairs require a SOFTWARE UPDATE......SOFTWARE UPDATE for a wash machine.....

I bought a Speed Queen NON H-E dependable OLD School wash machine......2 dials and a temp setting.  No LED readout.  Could not be happier keeping technology OUT of my appliance world.  

Kind of like my Grilling, BGE is simple.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Have an LG stainless bottom freezer that is approaching 3 years old. No problems. Ice maker still works fine. If/when it dies I'll just use ice trays like I did for the past 20+ years after the ice maker in the previous fridge died.

Didn't care about icemaker and cold water tap in a fridge anyway.

Bought LG washer/dryer about 5 months ago. They've been fine. Washer is huge - nice to be able to wash a King down comforter and sheeps wool mattress cover myself rather than having to taking them ti a dry cleaner. Like the "ice cream truck" melody when a load is finished.

Dishwasher is a Kenmore/Bosch that is at least a dozen years old and it has been fine with zero problems. Very quiet. Like that it doesn't use a heating element to dry the dishes - no more melted plastic items.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    We have not had any issues with our GE Profile (french doors, freezer on bottom) after 7-8 years or so, but we also didn't hook up the water/ice maker because we didn't want the hassle. Sounds like that was a good decision based on the experiences of many. Having said that, I've had good look with Kenmore products in the past, but not sure I would count on Sears being around to warranty anything too much longer.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Residential customers shop aesthetics, features and price before reliability (which drives up the price) and corporations cut costs to increase profit and fight with their engineers who actually know something about reliability.  The net result?  Fragile consumer electronics.  Buy commercial.
    Options
    I hate your fridge too.
    Options
    The ice maker crapped out in our Fridgidaire and water leaked into the wall and basement.  Fortunately, it was the unfinished portion and didn't mess anything up.  It's the 4th time in a year.  We've been using the FirstBuild Nugget ice maker for the last few weeks until we replace the fridge that came with the house.  Guess this thread was right on time.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    I have a Frigidaire Proffesional 18.5cf freezerless refrigerator next to the matching freezer. Tons of storage. The downside is the amount of room they take up. 
    GREAT GOOGLY MOOGGLY .... you could put a couple dead hookers in that thing.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Hates his fridge....so bitter.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Went to Lowe's to purchase all new appliances for our kitchen. I talked to the store manager about brands, and the reliability. I asked a simple question, what brand gives you the least problems to deal with. He said LG. I asked what brand his customers buy that have the fewest complaints, he said LG. We bought LG. Stove/Oven is awesome. Dishwasher awesome, Fridge with Ice maker and water dispenser, awesome. These statements about our appliances is based on performance of 6 months.
    I really do not like the bottom freezer option with French doors on top, but My Beautiful Wife did. We got that one. Of course. So far, not bad, but it holds a lot of stuff you never see again.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky