Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I suck at brisket on the BGE

1235»

Comments

• I cooked a 5lber the other day. Cooked at 225 for 9.5 hrs. Pulled it at 200 and foiled it and in cooler for 2 hrs. Turned out great
  • to make the long cook better you do one of two things. Either start very early in the morning with the cook and drinks, or put it on before going to bed. I found I enjoy the meal more if I put it on and go to bed. If I drank till the brisket was done it would burn and wife would find me in the yard.
  • I think we lost the original poster some time ago.  Probably around the same time the "titties and beer" video was posted.  IDK, could've been before that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @JohnInCarolina
    wanna drive to Midland and spread your brisket knowledge? lol Have done 2.  One was good, the other was ehh. so so.  I make it to Austin pretty often.  Would love to buy you a beer and pick your brain.  Maybe even Valentina's.  Keep hearing about it but haven't made it there yet.  Hard to beat Franklins.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This is how you do it.  This is how you do everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AOpomu9V6Q

wanna drive to Midland and spread your brisket knowledge? lol Have done 2.  One was good, the other was ehh. so so.  I make it to Austin pretty often.  Would love to buy you a beer and pick your brain.  Maybe even Valentina's.  Keep hearing about it but haven't made it there yet.  Hard to beat Franklins.  
    @johnincarolina lives in...wait for it....Carolina :)

If you are talking about me, I'll meet you any time

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • @JohnInCarolina

Seems clear he got us confused.  That seems to happen every time you and I appear in public together. 
  • @JohnInCarolina

Yeah, senior moment there.  Sorry about that.  I know we for sure I will be there the week of Easter. I will for sure message you.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Just keep at it.  You will get the hang of the art of the brisket.   Gonget franklims bbq book and read up on steven reichlen.    My first ever brisket on a 24 x 36 pitts n spitts smoker was a disaster...then i moved to the bge and my second one was ok, less than stellar and third time was the charm and ive never looked back

Just keep at it.  Cook by feel not so much time and temp relative to weight.  Cook it until it is jiggly and then youve arrived.   On the five types of grills ive participated in brisket cooks on, weber gasser, weber kettle, pitts n spits, vertical cheapo home depot special and bge the bge is far and away the best, easiest to use and yields the best results
  • @JohnInCarolina

Yeah, senior moment there.  Sorry about that.  I know we for sure I will be there the week of Easter. I will for sure message you.  
    I'll be here. come on down. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,633
    edited January 2017
    I've done ~100 or so..I did 5 at a time for 3 days for a total of 20 one weekend...all turned out great...if they didn't, I could not have got paid...so.....

Briskets are not the magical unicorn of protein...

Buy a whole packer like the good folks on here have said...if its too big for your egg ...separate the deckle from the flat...

trim off ONLY the hard fat...leave the gelatin type attached...

I cook mine between ~250 / 275... wait for it......for as long as it takes to get to ~160..

I double wrap in foil until 200 degrees...

pull it out of  cooker and poke a hole in the side of the foil and catch the juice in a mason jar, put that in the fridge...

put said mason jar in fridge and DO NOT OPEN the foil for 1 hour....The protein will "pull back" and firm up in that time frame this makes it slice well.

After the hour slice brisket about No 2 pencil thick and pull out the mason jar...

scrape off the layer of fat that has accumulated on the top and reheat until piping hot..

then pour that magical liquid all over your slices..

Texas toast, 1/4 inch slice of tomato and some Dukes Mayo...

Then just drop the MIC... 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Did we just give up after our second brisket ever on the BGE?!?!?!  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    Snake River Farms..... that is all. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    I talked to her- they are all good. We are going to get together to drink a few beers and cook some meat in the coming weeks. 

oh- and she was not offended by beer and titties. She's been working in mental health in an all-male max security Texas prison for 22 years. You guys are going to have to bring it to offend her :)

She's super cool and her husband sounds great too. They were frustrated but we will get them all straightened out and on the road to black gold here shortly.

Did you tell her were all a bunch of n'vr do well jack asses, especially on the weekend and holidays?
  • I talked to her- they are all good. We are going to get together to drink a few beers and cook some meat in the coming weeks. 

oh- and she was not offended by beer and titties. She's been working in mental health in an all-male max security Texas prison for 22 years. You guys are going to have to bring it to offend her :)

She's super cool and her husband sounds great too. They were frustrated but we will get them all straightened out and on the road to black gold here shortly.

Did you tell her were all a bunch of n'vr do well jack asses, especially on the weekend and holidays?
    yep. She agreed :)

• I talked to her- they are all good. We are going to get together to drink a few beers and cook some meat in the coming weeks. 

You're a good man, The Cen-Tex Smoker!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I talked to her- they are all good. We are going to get together to drink a few beers and cook some meat in the coming weeks. 

That's a great offer on your part. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

If drinking beer and cooking meat makes me a good man then so be it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,045
    edited January 2017

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Burke
  • gmac

I've got the weekends of March 4 and 11 open right now. What beer should I brew?  
  • gmac
    You have a passport right?
  • gmac said:
    You have a passport right?
    yep.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker Sir, you're a stand up guy. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon