Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Slushie Recipe

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    7 x 500ml? Goodness my friend. Glad you lived to tell about it. I am glad you tried to share it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    YukonRon said:
    7 x 500ml? Goodness my friend. Glad you lived to tell about it. I am glad you tried to share it.
    You should be proud! That **** is good. 
    I liked it but others said they found it too sweet. One found it too strong bourbon wise. 
    Im gonna have fun tinkering with this. 
  • YukonRon
    hondabbq said:
    YukonRon said:
    I liked it but others said they found it too sweet. One found it too strong bourbon wise. 
    Some folks just don't get what the Slushie is all about. I prefer them in the summer, but when My Beautiful Wife makes a batch, regardless of the weather, be it hot or cold, I politely accept my offered share. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • hondabbq
    YukonRon said:
    hondabbq said:
    YukonRon said:
    Some folks just don't get what the Slushie is all about. I prefer them in the summer, but when My Beautiful Wife makes a batch, regardless of the weather, be it hot or cold, I politely accept my offered share. 
    I like the fact that I can just have some made up sittin in the freezer in the jars and have one at will. 
  • YukonRon
    Oh heck yeah.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • hondabbq said:
    Just made a recipe to get a baseline flavor. Tastes good so far. 
    I got 9x 500 ml mason jars filled for Friday nights festivities. 
    That's a great idea. I just got rid of two dozen brand new 500ml mason jars.  :o

I put my concoction in an extra large Ziploc freezer bag, to be squeezed into a glass whenever the mood strikes.

Being in the south, mason jars are a staple, for whatever purpose you desire.  I'd kill to get my hands on 2 DOZEN of them!!!!  Got a batch of brandy getting ready to run!  Then it'll be some regular 'shine.

Guess I'll have to try them on the bourbon shlushie.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    hondabbq said:
    Just made a recipe to get a baseline flavor. Tastes good so far. 
    I got 9x 500 ml mason jars filled for Friday nights festivities. 
    That's a great idea. I just got rid of two dozen brand new 500ml mason jars.  :o

I put my concoction in an extra large Ziploc freezer bag, to be squeezed into a glass whenever the mood strikes.

Being in the south, mason jars are a staple, for whatever purpose you desire.  I'd kill to get my hands on 2 DOZEN of them!!!!  Got a batch of brandy getting ready to run!  Then it'll be some regular 'shine.

Guess I'll have to try them on the bourbon shlushie.....

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    There are worse things, I recon. We get ours at Kroger. Just filled 12 with Maker's Mark eggnog.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited December 2016
    Trying my hand at this:

Think I did my math wrong - thought a 1 gal container was big enough. Turns out it is just barely big enough. Need to divide before freezing and put some in a Ziploc bag as others have suggested.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Portion it out into heavy duty zipper lock bags and freeze.  It's the method of choice.  Be careful, when imbibing...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HofstraJet
    bgebrent said:
    Portion it out into heavy duty zipper lock bags and freeze.  It's the method of choice.  Be careful, when imbibing...
    Excellent suggestion Thanks!

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • hondabbq
    edited December 2016
    Too funny. Rough day at work today. I just cracked my first jar of the night. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Funny thing happened when I made it the other day for Kelly and Bruce. I got the measurements flipped between the water and Bourbon. I actually had to break open a second bottle of Bourbon. Once I had the 7 cups in the 5 qt pitcher I keep telling myself "This ain't gonna fit!" Looked back at the recipe then hit myself in the back of my head! Oh crap 3 cups not 7! All went well as I did start with the Bourbon. Many thanks to your wife Ron, this is a keeper for sure.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • HofstraJet
    Curious why this hits folks so hard. A 500 ml serving (which seems to be the going rate) is about 17 oz which should contain about 3.6 oz of bourbon, a bit over two shots. If you drink 7, OK, I can see the problem. But one or two shouldn't be an issue. What am I missing?
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Ron, it freezes regretfully. It certainly has at -5 f in my deep freeze. Just went down to grab a mason jar and frozen solid. We seem to like it though, before it froze. Thanks.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Curious why this hits folks so hard. A 500 ml serving (which seems to be the going rate) is about 17 oz which should contain about 3.6 oz of bourbon, a bit over two shots. If you drink 7, OK, I can see the problem. But one or two shouldn't be an issue. What am I missing?
    I agree.  And think the majority here are recreational.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    That seems pretty common with sweet frozen drinks that have a normal amount of alcohol (bars put a lot less in).  You drink it and can't taste the booze, so folks drink more than they usually do and drink it quicker, before it melts.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • hondabbq
    Focker said:
    Recreational drinkers? On this forum?
  • hondabbq said:
    Focker said:
    Recreational drinkers? On this forum?
    There are some professionals in our midst.
  • hondabbq
    edited December 2016
    Moleman said:
    Ron, it freezes regretfully. It certainly has at -5 f in my deep freeze. Just went down to grab a mason jar and frozen solid. We seem to like it though, before it froze. Thanks.
    I pull them out about 30 minutes prior to drinking and just pull one out accordingly. Start one, pull one, start one, pull one. I also find the right straw works better than others. Mcdonalds or any fast food place straws are wider and usually stiffer.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Ingredients purchased, this should make Christmas eve with the in-laws more fun....  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    If you're not a professional stunt drinker, beware, they go down as easy as a Kardashian.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • HofstraJet
    JethroVA said:
    If you're not a professional stunt drinker, beware, they go down as easy as a Kardashian.  
    Drinking and Kardashians? Reminds me of when I ran into Khloe while out drinking after work with clients. It was July in Miami at a restaurant on Lincoln Road with the doors open. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Printed off the recipe.  Hope to be able to make a batch this weekend.  Thanks @YukonRon !!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Yup, My bourbon slushie cherry will be popped this weekend too
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    YEMTrey said:
    Printed off the recipe.  Hope to be able to make a batch this weekend.  Thanks @YukonRon !!
    Great drink. Just finishing the graduration party for our son. Great night, GREAT NIGHT!
    Let the guests rummage my wine rack. My son, the smart one, took everyone to our cellar.
    He has a refined pallet. Dammit.
    Lot of fun, hope you have fun, have a great weekend.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    ColtsFan said:
    Yup, My bourbon slushie cherry will be popped this weekend too
    Be careful. Have a wonderful and safe weekend. DND.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    I'm going to have to try this...thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    JethroVA said:
    Drinking and Kardashians? Reminds me of when I ran into Khloe while out drinking after work with clients. It was July in Miami at a restaurant on Lincoln Road with the doors open. 

All this pic is missing is a sugar glider 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    YukonRon said:
    YEMTrey said:
    Great drink. Just finishing the graduration party for our son. Great night, GREAT NIGHT!
    Let the guests rummage my wine rack. My son, the smart one, took everyone to our cellar.
    He has a refined pallet. Dammit.
    Lot of fun, hope you have fun, have a great weekend.
    Sounds like your weekend is off to a great start already.  Enjoy!  And congrats on the graduation and good family time!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio