Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Slushie Recipe

Options
12346»

Comments

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Went back to page one.....we have enjoyed these on several occasions, Ron's at the Butt blast, in person, and the one's we made. After the first gallon bag, I can hardly tell the difference between his and mine. 

His is better than mine, because his kids use the good stuff,
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    Went back to page one.....we have enjoyed these on several occasions, Ron's at the Butt blast, in person, and the one's we made. After the first gallon bag, I can hardly tell the difference between his and mine. 

His is better than mine, because his kids use the good stuff,
    His kids have learned a bit about my Bourbon, they found out where I keep the good stuff for them, but not the great stuff for you and I.

I have learned.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I have a bunch of family coming over Saturday from PA. I will make this Friday night

And next week is beach week for us so I'll whip up another batch

Thanks!

I don't like tea though. Think subbing pineapple juice or something would work? Maybe cut back on the sugar?
    Boom
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have a bunch of family coming over Saturday from PA. I will make this Friday night

Thanks!

I don't like tea though. Think subbing pineapple juice or something would work? Maybe cut back on the sugar?

I made it the other day.  You don't taste the tea at all.  I would leave it in as it might tame the sweet.  And, I cut the sugar in half.  It is wonderful.

Next time, I  will add more booze.  I have been putting an extra shot in each glass.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2021
    Options
    LOL... perfect timing for this to rerise... I just found a HUGE vac bag filled with this stuff on the bottom of my chest freezer from a solid 3-4 years ago when you were first sharing this gem!! I'm breaking into it this weekend and couldn't be more excited. Funny I see this today!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options

Thanks!

Like Langner91 said, you don’t taste the tea at all.  I only used a half cup of sugar and I used a peach-flavored bourbon and it was unbelievably tasty!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    We we served it in Italy when there for a few weeks in 2019-2020. 

We gave out the recipe to about 20 folks, some were from various departments of state for other countries. 

I do not know if this thing is global yet, but it is not for the lack of trying.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    LOL... perfect timing for this to rerise... I just found a HUGE vac bag filled with this stuff on the bottom of my chest freezer from a solid 3-4 years ago when you were first sharing this gem!! I'm breaking into it this weekend and couldn't be more excited. Funny I see this today!
    I have been to fellow Green Eggers events, and brought some in as marinade. It is nothing if not versatile.

Great find, I hope you enjoy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:

Thanks!

Like Langner91 said, you don’t taste the tea at all.  I only used a half cup of sugar and I used a peach-flavored bourbon and it was unbelievably tasty!
    The tea acts as a flavor balancing additive. We use the original recipe, and for the major bourbon connoisseurs, we will add a splash or two to the poured amount. Everybody is happy then.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Langner91
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Jcl5150 said:

Thanks!

The tea acts as a flavor balancing additive. We use the original recipe, and for the major bourbon connoisseurs, we will add a splash or two to the poured amount. Everybody is happy then.
    This ^.  Exactly This ^!  Until you can't say slush!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I do remain curious, as to find out, how were the slushies after all this time?

I have never kept a bag around that long. When we make a batch, it lasts 2-3 days, tops. In this neighborhood, anyway.

Please let me know. I remember what we mixed it with, and really interested in how it held up after that long in the freezer. Hope it was enjoyable.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Made it just now. Can't wait until breakfast
    Boom
  • YukonRon
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Go easy. At one of the Blasts, in years past, we found the hat of an attendee, upon returning it, we actually found him about half way under the RV, sleeping it off.

If I do bourbon Slushies for breakfast, I am having a mega bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich on thick crusty toasted sour dough bread.

I should also mention logistics: Close to an area, I will want to lay down, if need be.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Changed out my XL bands and hinge today. Already had changed the gaskets, pretty easy on both jobs. I wish I had changed out the bands 2 years ago. What an unbelievable difference that has made.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Langner91
    Options
    Just ordered these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Popsicle-Freezer-Healthy-Smoothies/dp/B01MDUDWHH/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=freezer+pop+bags&qid=1624823468&sr=8-5

Going to make bourbon slushie pops for next weekend!  Much easier than having to scoop them out each time someone wants one!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • YukonRon
    Options
    This is a great Idea, I might do that as well. I typically use a food saver bag and clip the edge and just squeeze. Occasionally I hit the target, depending how many I have had up until that point.

Eventually it gets to the point where I let them fill their own cup. It seems to work better that way.

Let me know how that works out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Anyone use Ezra Brooks for this?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Powak said:
    EB works just fine. Find your flavor profile and use it. We have used a variety of bourbon from different distilleries, including Ezra. We have yet to have a major complaint from anyone, other than “I am out” when needing more.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I have never kept a bag around that long. When we make a batch, it lasts 2-3 days, tops. In this neighborhood, anyway.

Please let me know. I remember what we mixed it with, and really interested in how it held up after that long in the freezer. Hope it was enjoyable.
    It still great. I made it stoopid strong lol. I used makers mark, i'm sure because that's all i ever drink.   I really can't tell if it's any different than fresh.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

It still great. I made it stoopid strong lol. I used makers mark, i'm sure because that's all i ever drink.   I really can't tell if it's any different than fresh.

Thank you for the update. Maker’s is a great bourbon to use. We have used it once or twice. Everybody loved them.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Powak said:
    EB works just fine. Find your flavor profile and use it. We have used a variety of bourbon from different distilleries, including Ezra. We have yet to have a major complaint from anyone, other than “I am out” when needing more.
    Don’t wanna go “Better than Ezra”
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    caliking said:
    Occasionally, I get nostalgic re: the morons I've destroyed with Ron's slushies. 

Wait... what was I talking about??
    FIFY
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Was great. I drank them all morning and afternoon for 2 1/2 days before I ran out. I'm the only bourbon drinker in the family so was all for me. Will definitely make again. Thanks!
    Boom
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    I’m going to charge the batteries for my hero black camera and document the carnage as all reason slides away from my poor unsuspecting neighbors. May be interesting.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    Occasionally, I get nostalgic re: the morons I've destroyed with Ron's slushies. 

Wait... what was I talking about??
    FIFY
    Thinking it was neurons? Whatever they are. I do not believe I have any left.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I’m going to charge the batteries for my hero black camera and document the carnage as all reason slides away from my poor unsuspecting neighbors. May be interesting.
    It may be used to negotiate. It may indeed be a valuable card to place on the table.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Was great. I drank them all morning and afternoon for 2 1/2 days before I ran out. I'm the only bourbon drinker in the family so was all for me. Will definitely make again. Thanks!
    Glad you enjoyed them. Listen to much George Thorogood? 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Powak said:
    YukonRon said:
    Powak said:
    Don’t wanna go “Better than Ezra”
    I see what you did there. Cool.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I made a batch just now. I’ve got 5 empty 5th bottles filled now sitting in the freezer. I wasn’t too crazy about the taste straight over ice (tasted like a whiskey sour mixer) but mixed half and half with unsweet tea is a game changer this summer. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave