Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC Butt Blast: Documenting the Atrocities

Options

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    All you guys have heard this a time or two of how darn nice @bgebrent is and all, so I will not go into much more detail about that.  

However, I thought this task I had in the back of my mind would never come to reality with Brent, but you know what, he didn't even bat an eye over converting to a UNC fan.  Crazy as hell, I know.  What a man.  

Also, Brent plans to chance his screen name because he likes his new team much better!  His new screen name is TarheelBrent.  He wrote that on his Butt Blast nametag so folks will start to recognize.   

Here is his all decked in his swag!  Shirt and hat.  Believe he said he had UNC blue skives on too!  

Here's a close up of his nametag...

Brent! Finally The Truth!!!!!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I don't think anyone left without some parting gift unless they just wanted to. 

Just got home. Will post the rest of the pics in a bit. 
    Post your bbq pineapple delights again just cuz I need to see them frequently.  So damn good!
    YES! Those things were awesome!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • UTAsports
    Options
    Well what an experience it was! Kay and I had a Blast, thanks to all that cooked and came to eat and share friendship. It was a Party for sure as late in the day the Cops showed up to make us return a table that we had taken from anther pavilion that was reserved by another party. If it wasn't for the doughnut bacon grilled cheese sandwiches and the Bourbon slushy that the Cop washed down the doughnut sandwich with we would have all gone to jail........ From the mud bugs to the best ever brisket, pecan pie, tomato pie, miss piggy pork, gyro's and I'm sure something I can't remember. The best part was for sure meeting some of the most kind and giving folks one would ever want to meet. At the end of the day it's the camaraderie with Eggheads that make it all so great. Looking forward to the 2nd annual NC Butt Blast. Jim and Kay

It was great meeting you and Kay.  The wings and cornbread were amazing.  The twins keep talking about the wings and how good they were.  We look forward to seeing ya'll again.

• tailg8ers
    tailg8ers Posts: 67
    Options
    @tarheelmatt - you gotta post your recipes! - my husband has raved and raved about your gourmet grub!!! and unless you want him showing up on your doorstep begging you to do crash course on the homemade tortillas....
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    UTAsports said:
    Well what an experience it was! Kay and I had a Blast, thanks to all that cooked and came to eat and share friendship. It was a Party for sure as late in the day the Cops showed up to make us return a table that we had taken from anther pavilion that was reserved by another party. If it wasn't for the doughnut bacon grilled cheese sandwiches and the Bourbon slushy that the Cop washed down the doughnut sandwich with we would have all gone to jail........ From the mud bugs to the best ever brisket, pecan pie, tomato pie, miss piggy pork, gyro's and I'm sure something I can't remember. The best part was for sure meeting some of the most kind and giving folks one would ever want to meet. At the end of the day it's the camaraderie with Eggheads that make it all so great. Looking forward to the 2nd annual NC Butt Blast. Jim and Kay

It was great meeting you and Kay.  The wings and cornbread were amazing.  The twins keep talking about the wings and how good they were.  We look forward to seeing ya'll again.

Great meeting you as well and I just messaged you with my email so I can send you the recipe. It's so nice to hear that someone really enjoyed something Kay and I cooked. Thanks J&K

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    UTAsports said:

Great meeting you as well and I just messaged you with my email so I can send you the recipe. It's so nice to hear that someone really enjoyed something Kay and I cooked. Thanks J&K
    Jim, are you kidding me!  That cornbread was off the chain.  Wings were fantastic too.  There was one type of sausage that I ate I loved!  

You guys are fantastic in many ways! We appreciate your help and support heading the swag items.  Man we had a lot of stuff!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    UTAsports said:

Jim, are you kidding me!  That cornbread was off the chain.  Wings were fantastic too.  There was one type of sausage that I ate I loved!  

You guys are fantastic in many ways! We appreciate your help and support heading the swag items.  Man we had a lot of stuff!  
    Thanks Matt, the fact of the matter is at every fest before the NCBB I eat something that after the first bite it's in the trash can.......... This was my first fest that I enjoyed every bite of everything I tasted.......... So all of the cooks are fantastic and  rocked some awesome food......... :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    UTAsports said:

Thanks Matt, the fact of the matter is at every fest before the NCBB I eat something that after the first bite it's in the trash can.......... This was my first fest that I enjoyed every bite of everything I tasted.......... So all of the cooks are fantastic and  rocked some awesome food......... :)
    Definitely had some awesome cooks at Butt Blast!  Glad to be associated with everyone and the event!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Hey @YukonRon would you please post your Bourbon Slushie recipe?  So good.  My body guard Delton and I enjoyed them immensely.  He enjoyed them too much on Fri night apparently.  I woke up early Saturday and walked over to the main @Thatgrimguy camp site where everyone hung out Fri night.  I noticed Delton's hat on the ground.  When he woke up later, I noticed leaves in his bed. Asked what happened, he said, "those bourbon slushies were strong, they made me fall down."  

Sorry I bailed out early on Sat but I arranged for Delton to do some yard work Sun morning for a friend of mine. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I think it should be a NCBB LAW; if you cooked food or bring  frozen concoctions you must post the formulae!
    I want to cook like you superstars!
    I am such a Neandertal compared to you chef's. The food was as spectacular as as the folks that cooked it. My Beautiful Wife, has already told me to up my game, brothers and sisters. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Aside for Suzy's flight to France last year, on her birthday, for our marriage celebration, she said this weekend was her best.
    Thank all of you for making our first BGE one of the coolest events ever. EVER! I hope when we all do #2 together ( Yeah, I did that ) more of our folks can make it.
    as mentioned previously, this is Suzy's AKA "My Beautiful Wife" birthday, we left the NCBB for the Biltmore for a couple of days.
    After touring the place we went to the wine shop. We did the tastings of some rather spectacular wines.
    I got to share this right now, the wine we tasted here was nowhere near the wine we had shared with our friends during the final evening. I will take Barefoot and Liberty school with you all and a camp fire, over the finest anywhere else.
    Thank everyone. Thanks for making our world just a whole lot better.
    MBW pics to follow......
    Ron Thanks for the kind words and now my friend you know why Kay and I have been attending Eggfest for the last 9 years! Happy Birthday to your Beautiful Wife. We are always asked at fests why we spend our own money on travel and food and then just give the food away and we are quite sure most people think we are crazy! At the end of every fests we are dog tired but have new friends and awesome memories of happy well fed people saying things like oh wow that's the best thing I have ever eatin! Like grilled cheese bacon sandwiches! Safe Travels home. Jim & Kay
    @Jupiter Jim thank you for taking time out of you schedule to answer so many of my questions on life, egging and the RV lifestyle. Yours and Kay's insight was a game changer for us. Hug Kay for us, and let her know we will be looking to see you all should the Cicinnati event move forward.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    tailg8ers said:
    @tarheelmatt - you gotta post your recipes! - my husband has raved and raved about your gourmet grub!!! and unless you want him showing up on your doorstep begging you to do crash course on the homemade tortillas....
    @tailg8ers, my wife has a recipe for the tortillas.  As for the items I made, I don't follow a recipe.  I just chop, pour, stir, and etc.  I can certainly list ingredients and techniques for sure.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

Have to give credit to Craig Dial for creating this and Kristi for posting it on her blog. Craig and Kristi are both awesome cooks.

Here is the Jalamango-Lime-Wings, I used one small can crushed pineapple, pickled jalapenos, 2 garlic cloves and a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger. Make how you like by adding more or less garlic, jalapenos or ginger. I think I used about 15 slices of the jalapenos and more ginger than usual because I love ginger.

Rub the wings with a neutral rub I use Cluck & Squeal rub and then 400 raised grid till done to your liking, KayNOcook likes a lot of char! Toss the wings in a bowl and coat with the sauce and enjoy. 

http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/10/jalamango-lime-wings/

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options

Have to give credit to Craig Dial for creating this and Kristi for posting it on her blog. Craig and Kristi are both awesome cooks.

Here is the Jalamango-Lime-Wings, I used one small can crushed pineapple, pickled jalapenos, 2 garlic cloves and a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger. Make how you like by adding more or less garlic, jalapenos or ginger. I think I used about 15 slices of the jalapenos and more ginger than usual because I love ginger.

Rub the wings with a neutral rub I use Cluck & Squeal rub and then 400 raised grid till done to your liking, KayNOcook likes a lot of char! Toss the wings in a bowl and coat with the sauce and enjoy. 

I will add my name to the long list of folks who thought these were amazing!  I've been wanting to try this recipe forever.  Thanks for bringing it Jim!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

I will add my name to the long list of folks who thought these were amazing!  I've been wanting to try this recipe forever.  Thanks for bringing it Jim!

When my son a former chef tasted the sauce for the first time his words were, that $&it would be great on anything!!!!!!

On another thought Dan Nicholas park has an Executive Pavilion! We asked in the campground office if we could some how at least get a long garden hose from some where for washing dishes and they were sure at #2 no way but then they told us about the Exec. P and it might have water. It cost more $$$$ so for next year we might want to look at that one. There was also some very positive talk in the campground office about how great all of the food was. :) Carol was very disappointed that we did not leave her some in the office fridge for her to sample on Sunday, I'm thinking next year she will be working in the office Saturday or at least stop by on her day off.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tarheelmatt
    Options

When my son a former chef tasted the sauce for the first time his words were, that $&it would be great on anything!!!!!!

On another thought Dan Nicholas park has an Executive Pavilion! We asked in the campground office if we could some how at least get a long garden hose from some where for washing dishes and they were sure at #2 no way but then they told us about the Exec. P and it might have water. It cost more $$$$ so for next year we might want to look at that one. There was also some very positive talk in the campground office about how great all of the food was. :) Carol was very disappointed that we did not leave her some in the office fridge for her to sample on Sunday, I'm thinking next year she will be working in the office Saturday or at least stop by on her day off.

Yeah, I priced that place and found it was pretty pricey!  Could be something to shoot for if we do this next year.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

Yeah, I priced that place and found it was pretty pricey!  Could be something to shoot for if we do this next year.  
    Wait just a minute here! you have to resort to swearing and use the IF word???? How much we could all passably chip in and make it happen if it's a better location. 

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tarheelmatt
    Options

Wait just a minute here! you have to resort to swearing and use the IF word???? How much we could all passably chip in and make it happen if it's a better location. 
    Hahahahah....  I had to throw "if" in there just in case!  

I'm sure we could make it happen with the bunch that came and helped.  Plenty of great folks begging to help.  At the time, we just didn't know how far the event would take off.  Now, I'd say it took off well!  

Seems I recall it being roughly $500 (I think).  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options

There's a lot to discuss.  We might move it to a different location within NC.  The park was perfect, and there's a lot to be said for re-using something that works.  But there were also a lot of folks who wanted this event to be in Asheville.  

Like I wrote some time ago, I think Matt, Gary and I all need at least a week to recover before we start planning the next one!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

There's a lot to discuss.  We might move it to a different location within NC.  The park was perfect, and there's a lot to be said for re-using something that works.  But there were also a lot of folks who wanted this event to be in Asheville.  

Like I wrote some time ago, I think Matt, Gary and I all need at least a week to recover before we start planning the next one!
    KayNOcook's first words were Woussie's !!!!!!!!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    +2 for the Asheville area next year. We're 45 minutes down the road and have extra bedrooms and sleeper sofas galore. Plus it's beautiful. Just sayin. But the location the Butt Blast was held in was very nice too. Just wish we could have been there. Family first. If it wasn't for family health issues we would have been there with bells on, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Best as I could recipe for Char Siu Pork Belly Tacos from Butt Blast: 

Pork Belly

1 whole pork belly (cut into strips). Costco also sells belly in strips, but is more expensive.

Marinade

½ cup Soy Sauce

1-2 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce

1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce

3-4 cloves Fresh Garlic

Half a thumb Fresh Ginger

Lime juice

Lime zest

¼ cup Honey

10-20 turns Cracked Black Pepper

10 drops Red food coloring (I didn’t use enough)

½ cup Brown sugar

¼ cup Rice wine vinegar

2-3 teaspoons seasame oil

3-4 tablespoons Sherry

All quantities are approximate.

Instructions:

Just bring to a small boil to get incorporated well and release of the garlic and ginger.  Let cool then pour over belly.  Let sit for 1-5 days.  Longer the better.  

Finish sauce

Same a marinade, except I reduced it more.  

Asian Slaw

1 head White cabbage

½ head Red Cabbage

1-2 Carrots

½ cupMayo

¼ cup Sugar

Couple drops seasame oil

Half thumb grated ginger

¼ cup Rice wine vinegar

1 Lime zest

1 Lime juice

¼ cup Cilantro

Mix together and chill.  Make a day ahead for better flavor profile.  

Pickled Red Onions

1-3 Red onions

2-3 cupsApple cider vinegar

1-2 cupsWater

Salt to taste

White sugar to taste

Instructions:

Blanch onions in boiling water for 1 min.  Pour in colenger and cool with water and ice.  

Place onions back into the pot.  Place apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and water in pot unitl onions are covered.  

Bring to a boil for one min.  Set off the heat and place in container of choice and chill.  

Cook Belly:

Cook pork belly at roughly 350° until done and tender.  I pulled around 150-155° and let rest for a while.  If you want to crisp the fat some put under the broiler or torch it.  

Cut into small pieces for the taco.  

Building the taco:

Place your shell of choice

Place 2-3 piceces of belly

Sauce

Slaw

Seasame seeds (I forgot to apply these)

Green onions

Cilantro leaf
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I guess I will have to go to the next NCBB to taste that.  The recipe is too long for me to make myself.

I try to limit myself to recipes like:

Get grill to _____ temp.

Put meat on grill.

Drink ____ Beers

Flip meat.

Start checking meat temp after _____ beers.

Meat is done when it reaches _____ temp.

Seriously, those tacos sound awesome.
    This was my second taco. I'm still working on the shrimp taco recipe.  I also didn't include the homemade shells that went with each either.  I think people like those more than the meat and other stuff.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    This was my second taco. I'm still working on the shrimp taco recipe.  I also didn't include the homemade shells that went with each either.  I think people like those more than the meat and other stuff.  
    You did a great job balancing sweet/tangy/spicy/citrus. The balance of flavors is what made them so special for me.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I guess I will have to go to the next NCBB to taste that.  The recipe is too long for me to make myself.

I try to limit myself to recipes like:

Get grill to _____ temp.

Put meat on grill.

Drink ____ Beers

Flip meat.

Start checking meat temp after _____ beers.

Meat is done when it reaches _____ temp.

Seriously, those tacos sound awesome.

The tacos sound incredible and from reading on here they clearly were.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,187
    Options
    FWIW, here's the gyro recipe that I used this weekend. I cut the garlic in half for the sauce and added feta, onion, and tomato to the final product. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gyro-meat-with-tzatziki-sauce-recipe.html
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    You did a great job balancing sweet/tangy/spicy/citrus. The balance of flavors is what made them so special for me.
    Thanks Scott!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Shrimp Tacos w/mango, chipotle sauce, pickled red onion, and citrus slaw: 

Marinade

Ingredients:

2-3 Green onions

1-2 Jalepeno

2-4 teaspoons Anchio Chile powder

1 Lime zest

1 Lime juice

¼ cup Cilantro

4-5 clovesGarlic

¼- ½ cup Canola oil

2-3 teaspoons Salt - To taste

10-20 grinds of Pepper - To taste

Mixed in a Nutribullet.  Taste for seasoning.  Apply 30 min before cooking.  Brush with unused excess for layering of flavors.  

Mix with shrimp of choice.  I used 28-35 (or something like that) Eastern NC shrimp.  

Sauce:

1 part Ketchup

1 part Apple cider vinegar

½ part Water

½ cup - ¾ cup Brown Sugar

2-3 tablespoons Molassas

Pinch of Salt

15 grinds of Pepper

3-4 tablespoons Butter

1 Chipoltles with 2-3 teaspoons adobo sauce

Red pepper flake to taste

½ - ¾ cup fresh mango

Mix together and let simmer.  Pulse with blender (I used a Nutribullet) to mix mango in.  

Slaw:

½ head White cabbage

¼ headRed cabbage

1-2 Green oninos

½ cup Mayo

1 Lime

1 Lime zest

2-3 teaspoons Salt

5-10 grinds Pepper

2-4 tablespoons Sugar

1-2 tablespoons White vinegar

Mix together.  I made the dressing in the nutribullet which helps incorporate.  Fridgerate overnight for maximum flavor.

Pickled Red Onions

1-3 Red onions

2-3 cupsApple cider vinegar

1-2 cupsWater

Salt to taste

White sugar to taste

Instructions:

Blanch onions in boiling water for 1 min.  Pour in colenger and cool with water and ice.  

Place onions back into the pot.  Place apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and water in pot unitl onions are covered.  

Bring to a boil for one min.  Set off the heat and place in container of choice and chill.  

Building the taco:

Shell of choice

2-3 shrimp

Sauce

Pickled onion

Slaw

Cotija cheese

Cilantro leaf

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram