Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bar Towel Tenderloin

Rascal8
Rascal8 Posts: 8
What fun!  Rub and tie two pork tenderloins together.  Wet cotton bar towel and dump three pounds of kosher salt on top. Roll pork in towel and tie.  Drop on roaring hot fire for 15 minutes, turn and cook another 15 minutes.  With extreme caution remove from fire and cut rock hard shell and remove tenderloin.  DO NOT LEAVE IN SHELL TO REST.   Enjoy the pictures......
Large BGE
Sarasota, FL

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Well I learn something new every day.. I wonder who was the first to say "Lets cook something in a bar towel".. Interesting thats for sure.. Pork looks great..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    That's a first!!!  Very different.  I bet it was fun to do. Did none of the smell of burning dish rag come into the meat?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Well I be damned! That's an interesting way to cook something.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • What the?  This is freakin cool, how did it taste?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That's a first!!!  Very different.  I bet it was fun to do. Did none of the smell of burning dish rag come into the meat?
    I bet it would if you used a poly/nylon cotton blend...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That's cool - I've seen that online - maybe Raichlen, but I've never seen a real example.  Very cool.  How was it?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Legume said:
    That's cool - I've seen that online - maybe Raichlen, but I've never seen a real example.  Very cool.  How was it?

Raichlen prob stole the pic from Naked Whiz...
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    wow, never seen that before

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    I can't wrap my mind around the burning towel smell, unless its a specific type of towel you use
    Austin, Tx
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I have seen pieces of meat cooked in that much salt, but not wrapped.  Never tasted it either. 
    Bar towels are usually a terry type of material and messy when cut. I would think pieces of the towel are all over the salt when cut, then as you get your meat out (ha ha ha....) of the salt, the towel bits would get all over it. 
    And supposedly the salt is not overpowering. I do not understand how it isn't.

To each his own, but I think I will pass on trying this one.  A+ for uniqueness. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've never done the towel thing but I have made a hard shell of kosher salt mixed with a couple egg whites. This is applied completely around a chunk of prime rib. The shell dries and gets rock hard and seals in the juices of the meat. Once cooked take a hammer to the shell. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Bar towels I have been around would not be allowed around food.
    interesting manner of cooking, that is for sure.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I had to googles, Raichlen did it with a beef tenderloin, or at least the recipe and pics he lifted used a beef tenderloin.  It's from Columbia apparently.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Very cool. I've read articles about that method but had an epic fail trying it with chicken. Nicely done. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Rascal8

The towel was 100% cotton.  Actually the smell was awful for about the first 10 minutes but after that there was no smell.  The taste was great.  There was very little towel left at the end of the cook and there was no way it got through all that salt.  Believe me that salt was rock hard.  It was like a cast on your arm to cut through.  Next time trying a beef tenderloin. 

Large BGE
    Sarasota, FL
  • Rascal8
    By the way, the towel was brand new!
    Large BGE
    Sarasota, FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have seen that a few times with beef tenderloin. Couldn't bring myself to wrap a $100 piece of meat in a bar towel. Not sure why I didn't think to do pork tendy. Nice work 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very cool. I've read about that method and seen it on other sites, but if I remember correctly, you are only the second person I've seen do it here on this forum. So do you get any smoke/grill flavor on the tendy? I can't imagine you do, but what do I know? Thanks for sharing your cook.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Can you also us a dirty t-shirt or worn under garments to impart different aromas/flavors? =)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    I've done the Raichlen recipe with beef a number of times.  I've never posted it hear because I never took pics and I usually do it on my fire pit.

It's called "Lomo al trapo" (beef in a rag?).  It's excellent.  I usually do it with a rectangular portion of a clean but old t-shirt that I need to throw out.  If you do this, don't forget to wet the cloth.  Dry cloth will just catch on fire quickly and the thing can fall apart before the salt gets hard (I can tell you that so far it has only fallen apart 50% of the time I use dry cloth...).  Also, be aware that it will continue to cook a fair amount after you take it off the fire because the salt has become very hot and provides good insulation.  Take it off at least 10 degrees shy of your target.  A thermopen will penetrate the burned/seared cloth.  And much like a hot platesetter, you need to know where you are going to set this when you pull it off. My portable plastic prep table has a hole in it because I didn't figure that one out. 

So, it's a great cook.  Those of you who haven't tried it yet, please learn from my mistakes and don't burn your cloth or table or meat. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Well I learn something new every day.. I wonder who was the first to say "Lets cook something in a bar towel".. Interesting thats for sure.. Pork looks great..
    Legume said:
    I had to googles, Raichlen did it with a beef tenderloin, or at least the recipe and pics he lifted used a beef tenderloin.  It's from Columbia apparently.
    I feel like there's a reasonable guess here as to how this recipe came about.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Pretty neat!

And thank you for using a new towel instead of one of @Foghorn 's smelly t-shirts. You don't know where that dude's been.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    This idea is starting to grow on me more and more. Will have to try it with guests over 1 day to see their reaction!
    Austin, Tx
  • Foghorn
    bgeaddikt said:
    This idea is starting to grow on me more and more. Will have to try it with guests over 1 day to see their reaction!
    Exactly!  It's a great conversation lubricator. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Definitely a ballsy cook!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Foghorn
    caliking said:
    Pretty neat!

And thank you for using a new towel instead of one of @Foghorn 's smelly t-shirts. You don't know where that dude's been.

@caliking, if I cooked you a tenderloin wrapped in my underwear you know you'd eat it.

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Pretty neat!

@caliking, if I cooked you a tenderloin wrapped in my underwear you know you'd eat it.
    Only if it's 100% cotton and you triple the salt. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.