Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cardamom Fennel Scallops

Last night my wife and I decided to cook up some scallops and crab cakes.  We love to sear scallops and have used many different recipes but the Cardamom Fennel Scallops recipe from http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Fennel-Scallops.pdf was by far the most flavorful exciting scallop dish we have made.

Ingrediants:
  • 1 tsp (2 g) fennel seeds
  • ½ tsp (1 g) black or yellow mustard seeds
  • ¼ tsp (.5 g) cardamom seeds (substituted ground cardamom for seeds)
  • 1 lb. (455 g) large sea scallops (12 to 15)
  • 4 medium-sized cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 dried red cayenne chilies (like chile de arbol), stems discarded, coarsely chopped (do not remove the seeds) (substituted chili flakes instead of the cayenne peppers)
  • 1 tsp (6 g) coarse kosher or sea salt
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil (Substituted Coconut Oil instead of Canola oil)
  • ½ cup (125 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp (2 g) finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
Instructions:

Place the fennel, mustard and cardamom seeds in a spice grinder (or a coffee grinder) and grind them to the consistency of finely ground black pepper.  (and be sure to take a good sniff as you open the lid…just be prepared for a burst of flavor!) Transfer the spice blend to a medium-size bowl. Add the scallops, garlic, chilies and salt to the bowl with the spice blend and stir to mix, making sure you coat the scallops well. 

Set the EGG for direct cooking at 400°F/204°C. When you are ready to cook the scallops, heat the oil in pan until the oil appears to shimmer. Add the scallops, rub and all, to the skillet, arranging them in a single layer. Sear the scallops until they are light reddish brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Pour the coconut milk into the pan; the coconut milk will immediately start to bubble in the hot pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan to release al the browned bits, effectively deglazing the pan to create a depth of the scallops simmer, without stirring, until they are firm to the touch, about 2 minutes. Transfer the scallops to a serving platter. Let the sauce continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour the pan sauce over the scallops. Serve the scallops warm, sprinkled with the cilantro.

The scallops turned out fantastic and the sauce was phenomenal!  We used the sauce to drizzle over the asparagus and also the crab cakes.  This recipe will be used again and shared!  Thank you BGE recipes http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Fennel-Scallops.pdf   

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700

Darned nice work!

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    @WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE - you have been a cooking machine this week. That sounds like a very tasty dish. Great job! Thanks for posting this.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • ???? could shrimp be substituted for scallops????
  • bi11fish said:
    ???? could shrimp be substituted for scallops????
    Sure thing!  I do not see why not. I bet that would be great, even combining the two.  Next cook I will definitely try the shrimp or some sort of combination. Great idea! 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,973
    Yowzer that looks fantastic!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Excellent cook and looks delicious! 
    Living the good life smoking and joking
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Both are some of my favorite from the Salty Sea. I stick with my recipe on the Blue Lump Crab Cakes. I like them both and the scallops look killer too (appear to be Sea Scallops vs Bay)....my preference has been Sea. :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Both are some of my favorite from the Salty Sea. I stick with my recipe on the Blue Lump Crab Cakes. I like them both and the scallops look killer too (appear to be Sea Scallops vs Bay)....my preference has been Sea. :plus_one: 
    Please do share your recipe on the Blue Lump Crab Cakes.  I am a native of Maryland, and am always looking for a recipe that rivals my mother's! I also prefer the Sea Scallops to the Bay Scallops.  If you wouldn't mind sharing your Blue Lump Crab Cake recipe I would greatly appreciate it!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,815
    This should say it all:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darned nice work!

@Sardonicus thank you very much! It was quite tasty!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Its a great recipe from the bge mag.  Posted less well than you brother! I tried this months ago.  Yours looks awesome.  Great job!  This was mine

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182161/cardamom-fennel-scallops-from-bge-lifestyle#latest

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,075
    I love scallops. I will be trying this very soon. Awesome presentation!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon said:
    I love scallops. I will be trying this very soon. Awesome presentation!
    @YukonRon If you love scallops, this is a winner!  The spices and sauce were fantastic.  @bi11fish suggested using shrimp as well.  I have not tried that yet, but that was a fantastic suggestion and will definitely give that a go very soon.  
  • Doing this with shrimp Sunday night as an app to go with plank salmon as a main.
  • @grillwell Please let me know how this turns out.  I have not done this with shrimp, and want to give it a shot! Happy Holidays Brother!
  • Here it is with shrimp.  They turned out great as a picky plate with a crusty loaf for dipping into the sauce.  A big hip with all.

• grillwell said:
    Here it is with shrimp.  They turned out great as a picky plate with a crusty loaf for dipping into the sauce.  A big hip with all.

Damn!!!!!!! That could and should be served in a restaurant!!  How much shrimp did you use for the cook and did you peel the shrimp completely?  This looks legit!!!  I am going to definitely give this a go, maybe over New Years. Way to go!
  • It was 1.5 lb and I did peel and devein.  Lots of happy family for this one.  Have a great Christmas and New Years. Cheers!
  • scottn83
    scottn83 Posts: 117
    Last night my wife and I decided to cook up some scallops and crab cakes.  We love to sear scallops and have used many different recipes but the Cardamom Fennel Scallops recipe from http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Fennel-Scallops.pdf was by far the most flavorful exciting scallop dish we have made.

Ingrediants:
    • 2 dried red cayenne chilies (like chile de arbol), stems discarded, coarsely chopped (do not remove the seeds) (substituted chili flakes instead of the cayenne peppers)
    Instructions:

Place the fennel, mustard and cardamom seeds in a spice grinder (or a coffee grinder) and grind them to the consistency of finely ground black pepper.  (and be sure to take a good sniff as you open the lid…just be prepared for a burst of flavor!) Transfer the spice blend to a medium-size bowl. Add the scallops, garlic, chilies and salt to the bowl with the spice blend and stir to mix, making sure you coat the scallops well. 

Set the EGG for direct cooking at 400°F/204°C. When you are ready to cook the scallops, heat the oil in pan until the oil appears to shimmer. Add the scallops, rub and all, to the skillet, arranging them in a single layer. Sear the scallops until they are light reddish brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Pour the coconut milk into the pan; the coconut milk will immediately start to bubble in the hot pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan to release al the browned bits, effectively deglazing the pan to create a depth of the scallops simmer, without stirring, until they are firm to the touch, about 2 minutes. Transfer the scallops to a serving platter. Let the sauce continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour the pan sauce over the scallops. Serve the scallops warm, sprinkled with the cilantro.

The scallops turned out fantastic and the sauce was phenomenal!  We used the sauce to drizzle over the asparagus and also the crab cakes.  This recipe will be used again and shared!  Thank you BGE recipes http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Fennel-Scallops.p

When cooking the scallops are you closing the lid or just cooking with the lid open.
    hello all I live in KY Bourbon country so I love my makers, love my egg but still love my wife the most
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,075
    scottn83 said:

Ingrediants:
    Instructions:

The scallops turned out fantastic and the sauce was phenomenal!  We used the sauce to drizzle over the asparagus and also the crab cakes.  This recipe will be used again and shared!  Thank you BGE recipes http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Fennel-Scallops.p

When cooking the scallops are you closing the lid or just cooking with the lid open.
    Did these. Best I have had anywhere on this planet. Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • scottn83 said:
    @scottn83 I cooked the scallops with the lid down.  I could probably have cooked the scallops with the lid open but  I was also baking the crab cakes.  If you give this recipe a shot let me know how it turns out and if you have any  tips for a future cook.  Hope you have a great weekend.

• YukonRon said:
    Did these. Best I have had anywhere on this planet. Thank you for posting.
    @YukonRon...How amazing were the scallops and the sauce.  The spice combination is lights out.  I also want to try this with shrimp.  Glad you enjoyed the cook.  I need to cook this again....soon!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Both are some of my favorite from the Salty Sea. I stick with my recipe on the Blue Lump Crab Cakes. I like them both and the scallops look killer too (appear to be Sea Scallops vs Bay)....my preference has been Sea. :plus_one: 
    Please do share your recipe on the Blue Lump Crab Cakes.  I am a native of Maryland, and am always looking for a recipe that rivals my mother's! I also prefer the Sea Scallops to the Bay Scallops.  If you wouldn't mind sharing your Blue Lump Crab Cake recipe I would greatly appreciate it!

Heh. As another Marylander, I can tell you that there is no recipe that will come close to rivaling a traditional Maryland crab cake.

There must be some reason most restaurants across the country call them "Maryland-style".  ;)
  • JDoubleH
    JDoubleH Posts: 112
    Scallops look phenomenal. We will be thing this recipe.