Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite lump for the price?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,689
    @Lit  cocktail is ready 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Is it too late to retract my question?  Not trying to start a BS lump war here. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Besides even a complete utter moron knows lump wars can't be won. Rockwood beats them bitches down. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Weak!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945

you missed one  =)

canuckland
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 897
    Mikee said:
    Buying one bag of lump is not a true indication of the lump. That's one of biggest downfalls of the NakedWiz website. ... I tried one bag of Rockwood and it was as good as Royal Oak; just twice the price. ...
    Hmmmm ... did I miss something here?  NakedWiz data is suspect 'cuz they only tested one bag, but you uncovered the problems with RW by purchasing only one bag.

You missed nothing. I tried a bag of Rockwood and it was consistent to what others said. Good lump! The NakedWiz ratings is not something I would bet my life on.

Any other thing I can help you with?

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    Mikee said:

Any other thing I can help you with?

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but with that said, I would love to hear your thoughts on rotomolded coolers my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Bought around 20 bags of Rockwood Lump this year, 6 Big Green Egg, 12 bags of Carbon Del Sol. Found only 1 rock in all the bags thus far. RW is the best of the 3, and the source of the rock.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    YukonRon said:
    Bought around 20 bags of Rockwood Lump this year, 6 Big Green Egg, 12 bags of Carbon Del Sol. Found only 1 rock in all the bags thus far. RW is the best of the 3, and the source of the rock.
    Just like CrackerJacks ... one looks for and savors the prize in the box.  How do you think Rockwood got the "rock" part of it's name?  Although I think Jonathan's quality has gone down a little ... didn't find a single rock in the last 10 bags.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    YukonRon said:
    Just like CrackerJacks ... one looks for and savors the prize in the box.  How do you think Rockwood got the "rock" part of it's name?  Although I think Jonathan's quality has gone down a little ... didn't find a single rock in the last 10 bags.
    I agree about quality control.  I weighed my last 20 bags of RW.

They are labeled as 20# bags, but everyone weighed 21#'s.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @DoubleEgger Should I have not asked?  :fearful: 
    You don't remember that one bad shipment he got from firecraft?  Stuff of legend!
    Yes but it's pretty obvious there was an issue since firecraft changed their shipping after they contacted customers And realized what was happening. Next time your rockwood shows up packaged better you can thank me.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Lit said:
    You don't remember that one bad shipment he got from firecraft?  Stuff of legend!
    Yes but it's pretty obvious there was an issue since firecraft changed their shipping after they contacted customers And realized what was happening. Next time your rockwood shows up packaged better you can thank me.
    After seeing your package, I pictured you looking like a Chimney sweep after you opened it.

• Lit
    @Lit  cocktail is ready 

Sorry I quit drinking during the week but Friday night is approaching fast.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    I agree about quality control.  I weighed my last 20 bags of RW.

Imagine my disappointment! LOL!! My last bag, did not see it until after the cook. I am keeping it, going to start a collection, and I am sure the next twenty or so bags I get, it will still be the only Rockwood rock in my collection. I pick up more rocks and gravel in the tread of my tires driving miles and miles out side of Louisville, the 28th largest city in the USA (or something like that) to purchase it, ( just kidding @stlouischarcoal) than I have ever found inside it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    Lit said:

Yeah where else are you going to find two companies that search the internet to find customers are anonymously complaining, then try to make contact with those customers and more to try to figure out what is going on.  Would have been a lot easier and quicker if folks just called or emailed directly when they had a problem.  Customer service only works when the customer wants further service.....if they would rather hold a grudge then there's nothing we can do even though we were ready, willing, and able to assist.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    I have this same problem. My driver license says I'm 235 but these darn scales says 252 :o I feel that I'm getting a raw deal here ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    SGH said:
    ... these darn scales says 252 ...
    That seals the deal ... now I know you're a great BBQ cook.  What have you been doing?  Photoshopping those pictures of you with the hippie?  Couldn't understand how a skinny guy could be a good cook.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lit
    Lit said:

Yeah where else are you going to find two companies that search the internet to find customers are anonymously complaining, then try to make contact with those customers and more to try to figure out what is going on.  Would have been a lot easier and quicker if folks just called or emailed directly when they had a problem.  Customer service only works when the customer wants further service.....if they would rather hold a grudge then there's nothing we can do even though we were ready, willing, and able to assist.
    Hey I didn't say anything negative and haven't for awhile. It's good steps were taken and the issue addressed.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Hey I didn't say anything negative and haven't for awhile. It's good steps were taken and the issue addressed.

So do you finally want the replacement bag(s) I offered you? 
  • YukonRon
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

I'll take them, I ain't proud

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Thanks for the offer I appreciate it but that's not what my post was ever about. I'm sure I'll pick up a bag locally at some point to try.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    40 lb bag of el diablo mesquite at 16th st and washington in phoenix for $7.99 a bag.   Mesquite is best for high temp searing and high temp pizza making on BGE in my experience.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Looks like my Fogo order delayed.. Won't get it until Monday... Soooo.. I'll be giving Royal Oak a try this weekend!! Lol perfect time to test them out
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2015
    Looks like my Fogo order delayed.. Won't get it until Monday... Soooo.. I'll be giving Royal Oak a try this weekend!! Lol perfect time to test them out
    RO, Nooooooo.  It will completely ruin your egg.  Might as well just burn tires and trash!!!

:bawling: :anguished::bawling: :anguished: :bawling: :anguished: 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks like my Fogo order delayed.. Won't get it until Monday... Soooo.. I'll be giving Royal Oak a try this weekend!! Lol perfect time to test them out
    RO, Nooooooo.  It will completely ruin your egg.  Might as well just burn tires and trash!!!

:(( :bawling: :anguished: 
    ...not to mention the rip it will create in the space-time continuum, creating alternate dimensions (based on quantum physics) with less-than-optimal end results.  And even possible for time to reverse direction where we are completely annihilated.

:(( :bawling: :anguished: 
    ...not to mention the rip it will create in the space-time continuum, creating alternate dimensions (based on quantum physics) with less-than-optimal end results.  And even possible for time to reverse direction where we are completely annihilated.
    No joke.  Ever hear of Tunguska Event?  That was RO with lighter fluid that caused that.