Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite lump for the price?

ok.. I'm sure this has been talked about and I did a bit of research already on the forum.. But would like some more concise feedback. I have been using the BGE lump ONLY.. Haven't even tried another brand.. And I realize I am wasting a pile of money doing so lol.. 

So... What brand should I try and switch to.. To save a little money on lump but still get the same quality?

thanks!
Large BGE
36" BlackStone
Backwoods G2 Party
Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
Professional Drinker & Home Cook

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,689
    You won't get a concise answer here. You'll have to try out some different brands and decide for yourself. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    This is like asking some frat guys who the best looking woman in Hollywood is today. You will get ten different women. I would just suggest that you focus less on the cost and try different brands and go with the one you like best. BGE, RO, WGWW, RW, Fogo, and others are all different. The density and species of wood are big factors IMO. Some people like smoker lump, others like the cleaner burning stuff. Also the type of cooks you normally engage in can be a factor. Don't compromise your end product based upon a few bucks. That doesn't mean you will necessarily like the one I like or the highest priced one. Good luck. 
  • Thanks @pgprescott I haven't had any issues with the BGE brand.. I like it just fine.. Just have read a lot about other brands being just as good for much cheaper.. Figured I could maybe save on lump and spend more on meat lol
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Thanks @pgprescott I haven't had any issues with the BGE brand.. I like it just fine.. Just have read a lot about other brands being just as good for much cheaper.. Figured I could maybe save on lump and spend more on meat lol
    This may be true for you, but I would just not compromise based on price alone. If you try all the others and find one you like better go with that one for sure. Happy egging!
  • For a just a few dollars more than bge lump rockwood is the way to go to me. Burns even and clean,  big chunks not pieces like bge. Havnt looked back since I switched. 
  • Thanks I will give it a try @newegger169
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you like the BGE lump it's made by royal oak which you can get at Home Depot for like $12 for 18lbs. You save money and get the same stuff you were paying more for. 
  • Living the good life smoking and joking
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Wicked Good is my favorite. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    My favorite lump is fresh blue crab right out of the Chesapeake.  If I have to go canned, the Phillips Seafood jumbo lump is my go to. 
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Rockwood, I order 5 at a time from Firecraft to get them at $21 a bag and free shipping. When I first bought my egg, I used the BGE brand for a while... I used Rockwell once from a local dealer at $28 a bag and was hooked. With the exception of the price. 

You will hear about backlogs with Firecraft... and to that I say plan ahead and order before you are out.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited November 2015
    I don't know where you are from but Grove Charcoal ..at $12.89 a 20lb bag is fantastic. Good size ...minimal dust fines...good clean burning. Our Piggly Wiggly carries it.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have tried Rockwood and it is very good. 
    That said, when HD is selling RO at  $12 for a 17 lb bag that is my go-to.  
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I grabbed a bag of rock wood and kamado joe a couple weeks back after only using BGE for first few months of egg ownership. I love Rockwood!!! Large lump that burns hot and clean. Very neutral smoke. It will be my new go to. 
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • I just started getting Carbon Del Sur from restaurant depot. Decent size pieces and 8.99 per 18.8 pound bag. It's not as dense as Rockwood, Wicked Good, or Kamado Joe Brand so I primarily use it for hot fast cooks and use Rockwood for L&S. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I am one of those guys who is totally satisfied with Royal Oak (which is the same as BGE).  Home Depot always has it at a fair price, and the bags are never beat as I have experienced with other brands.  I am a member at Restaurant Depot, and here they only carry Royal Oak, and at the same price as HD.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    @EggSmokeVa simple answer here - try royal oak - 13 dollars a bag at Home Depot or lowes
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492

Fogo- If you have the means, I highly suggest picking some up. It is so choice! Also the whole bag is full of pieces like this, not just a few chunks with a bunch of shards.
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    If there is a Wegman's supermarket in your part of Virginia, their store brand is 6.99 for a 10lb bag, and it is made by Royal Oak.
  • Just ordered some Fogo actually after research.. Found a decent deal on Amazon @allsid
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • After this Fogo trial.. I will, however, give royal oak a try simply because of the price.. (And all of your recommendations of course lol)

thanks everyone!
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • I am the one lucky guy in the country who seems to get decent charcoal no matter what brand i buy. Sometimes a bag of small stuff sneaks by me, but it all burns

ford versus chevy, in my (unimportant) opinion
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    One point of clarification:  BGE, Nature Glo, and Royal Oak are all made by the same company.  That doesn't mean they are made in the same plant, by the same pit master, in the same kiln, with wood from the same forest, and under similar conditions.  Royal Oak Enterprises has quite a number of facilities scatter around the states turning out product.  The Royal Oak Enterprise product that you buy in Virginia may be different than the product that folks buy in Oregon.  You'll find folks here who swear by it and folks who swear at it ... both groups might be basing their opinions on completely different products.

Also, lump is a little like BBQ sauce ... what you favor is heavily influenced by your personal tastes.  Some of the lumps are smoke neutral.  Others yield a definite smoke flavor.  My wife doesn't like a heavy smoke flavor, so I only use a neutral lump.

Several folks above suggested that you try the different products available in your area to form your own opinion ... they weren't being obnoxious, they were giving good advice.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    and keep in mind it is a natural product. 

Finding a rock in the bag once in a while, or some uncarbonized wood, or one bag of smalls vs a bag of jumbo chunks, isn't evidence that you got screwed.

It's the reason you aren't paying fifty dollars a bag
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Thanks @Jeepster47 well said
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 897
    Buying one bag of lump is not a true indication of the lump. That's one of biggest downfalls of the NakedWiz website. I've gotten bags of RO with less than a 1/2 cup of fine pieces and dust. The bag I opened up last month was terrible. The current bag is again mostly medium pieces. I'll buy Cowboy lump when I have a coupon for the local hardware store and get it for under $10. I tried one bag of Rockwood and it was as good as Royal Oak; just twice the price. I purchased a bag of Laredo at the Restaurant Supply store and it had quite of bit of large pieces like Fogo. Even though Laredo is under $10 a bag; those large pieces do not work well in my small Egg.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    @allsid   I am not sure how you get a good stable fire going with such large chunks.  I would think you need a bunch of small stuff just to get it going.  I have wanted to try Fogo for some time, but never find the good price on Amazon.  It seems to vary quite a bit.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,689
    Thanks @Jeepster47 well said
    Ditto. It's kinda like saying that a Spark and a Z06 Vette are the same because they are both made by Chevy. 
  • I just got a 35 pound bag of Fogo for $50... @Cookinbob
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va