Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite lump for the price?

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Um, guess I need to quit using my charred pine bark and dryer lint soaked in vegetable oil?
    Not if you're satisfied with the results.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    IVE PRETTY MUCH BOUGHT A BAG OF COWBOY EVERY WEEK FOR THE LAST 5 OR SO YEARS, must be cowboy =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Here is a pic of some RW in my XL.  I had to break the pieces to fit in my medium.

Look at all that small crap underneath a couple larger  uncarbonized pieces. If you want large carbonized lump FOGO wins hands down. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isacc ... go into teaching?  Really can't see you taking a vow of poverty. 

Now back to lump ... can't get rid of either of my large eggs.  Got more invested in Tom's stainless than the original cost of the eggs.  If I bought a mini-max, do you think I could recover my investment before I kick the bucket?

If I switch to all oak, then I can get some off my neighbor's tree ... slowly and at night so he won't notice that his tree is offering less shade.  That would add some cost savings to the mix.  Can you run those numbers through the company's Cray and see what the results are?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lit said:
    Here is a pic of some RW in my XL.  I had to break the pieces to fit in my medium.

Look at all that small crap underneath a couple larger  uncarbonized pieces. If you want large carbonized lump FOGO wins hands down. 
    The small pieces underneath are from previous cooks.  I rarely remove.  I stir and put new lump in.  I also empty my bags, dust and all into my XL.  My medium I am more cautious with.

I have never used FOGO so I cannot comment, but the large piece on the left from the RW didn't look brown in person and was burning clean by the time my egg was to temp.

All the pieces had the classic "tin" sound when you tapped them of carbon.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Jeepster47

The mini-max actually makes lump.  I've heard it only makes RO though.  So you will have to keep removing the RO to add your RW.

I think that is to much hassle.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    edited November 2015
    Options

The mini-max actually makes lump.  I've heard it only makes RO though.  So you will have to keep removing the RO to add your RW.

I think that is to much hassle.
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... are you sure.  I could see RO being produced by a Kamado Joe Jr, but with a BGE I would expect RW ... oh, wait a minute ... let me think ... yep, you're probably correct.  BGE and Royal Oak Enterprise have a relationship with the BGE lump, so yep, it probably produces RO.  Bummer.

You'd think the mini-max would rise to the occasion and produce Nature Glo ... at least in this area Nature Glo wasn't too bad of a lump ... certainly better than Wally World's RO.

Oh well, with all of the burning leaves around here right now, producing more RO certainly wouldn't be appreciated.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Thanksgiving with @Jeepster47 and @Ozzie_Isaac
  • Padre_Jorge
    Options
    I use Frontier, it burns hot if you need high heat, and it will burn for a long time low and slow.  I did a 20 hr cook with consistent temp control at 250-275. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Thanksgiving with @Jeepster47 and @Ozzie_Isaac
    Usually ends in a drunken brawl.  Lots of yelling, name calling, fist-a-cuffs.  

Then my dad and I need to step in a break the women up.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sundown said:
    I've been using Wicked Good since the very early days and, while it may cost a bit more, I can count on it without any hesitation. I'm used to the way it lights, I'm used to the way it burns and I'm happy with the "taste".

You people have spent a small bundle on an Egg and then search for and squabble about "the cheapest best charcoal" are amusing.
    Excellent! Key words: "USED TO". That is the most important thing. The BGE, the charcoal, all your accessories, they are tools. Find a tool that you like and get used to the way it works. If it is cheap and easily available, that's great. It doesn't help if you use different "better" charcoal that doesn't perform the way you expect it to. Which of course means that if you use Rockwood and like Rockwood, you should ignore everyone who says "Oh, RO is so much cheaper!" So what. You're used to the way Rockwood performs, you should keep using it!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Would love to do a side-by-side at an eggfest gathering using RO, RW, and wood on two eggs.  Half the damn time, you're lucky to get your chunks to even light with such a small fire to control.

Truly an honor, to be surrounded by such refined charcoal and wood palettes. lmao
    You guys crack me the f up, often. love this place.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Focker said:
    Would love to do a side-by-side at an eggfest gathering using RO, RW, and wood on two eggs.  Half the damn time, you're lucky to get your chunks to even light with such a small fire to control.

Truly an honor, to be surrounded by such refined charcoal and wood palettes. lmao
    You guys crack me the f up, often. love this place.  

My palate is not that refined. I have a hard time distinguishing between different citrus woods and different fruit woods. I also struggle to tell oaks apart. I knew and old codger who could tell the difference between farm-raised cherry and wild cherry. No joke.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Sometimes these favored lump threads are amusing. 

This one passed the test............ ;)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Lump conversation.... Deja vu
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Sorry guys lol.. Didn't know it would become such a hot topic 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Sorry guys lol.. Didn't know it would become such a hot topic 
    No apologize necessary.  Next time just wait for Friday.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Has anyone suggested Rockwood?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Has anyone suggested Rockwood?
    Shhh ... you'll wake up the Royal Oak Slinger.

• Biggreengreg
    Options
    Royal Oak is great for the price and can be found all around Northern CA. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Rockwood all day long!
    If that's not available WGWW or WGJB. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I guess we're CLOSE to Friday..............
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @lit that small "crap" burns fine. Ahh lump wars. Heck I reuse lump from the LG to the MM all the time. What is it that you dislike about RW?  Attention: this is NOT a pissing match. I can't comment on FOGO. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Good Lord Brother Husker! Asking Lit what he doesn't like about about Rockwood? I need to go mix up a cocktail for this...
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    These threads are just as entertaining as Syrian refugees
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DoubleEgger Should I have not asked?  :fearful: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    My Fogo will be here in time for my weekend cooks... I'll be sure to update with my "expert" opinion lol
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @DoubleEgger Should I have not asked?  :fearful: 
    You don't remember that one bad shipment he got from firecraft?  Stuff of legend!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @theyolksonyou Must have missed that. I don't recall seeing it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Lit and Rockwood go waaaay back