Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,701
    Options
    @WeberWho I hope so too, who would have thought. Our expericence with Honda and Toyota have been impeccable, may be they don't make them like they used to.

These Toyota models are so scarce and in demand around here that most dealers have minimum six months wait list. I heard one actually quoted five years riduculously to deter sales. Apparently there's this thing... instead of selling at MSRP permitted, some unscrupulous dealers put super low mileage on new cars and sell them as 'used'. Manufacturer won't let them charge higher than MSRP for new vehicles, but they can get away with selling used over MSRP. Our son found this dealer way north of the city and had to wait only two months.
    canuckland
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    I hated a lot about the new Honda I bought in 2021.  The safety features are good for the general public but annoying.  The recalls for the stereo were just opportunities for the dealer to lie in new ways. What you guys are often describing about cars and the industry (including regulation induced innovation without sufficient time to test and produce a stable product) is what’s driving up demand and price of used cars. I hated late 80s and 90s Fords with >100k miles from experience but try to buy one today for anything less than 3x what it is was worth in 2005. Weird. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,824
    Options
    Why is buying a car worse than any dentist visit I ever had?  BTW- I have had no issues with either Honda or Toyota cars.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    edited April 13
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Drove our son almost two hours north of the city to pick up their new kids mobile, even though there are many Toyota dealers close to home (long story)

I know someone who drives an older model of that. I used to call it the sandcrawler and would ask how his Jawas were doing ( Star Wars circa 1977).

My sister-in-law bought a used one within the last year and they have over 15K+ in warranty work so far. The transmission went last month and they had sunroof drain tubes not drain properly when they first bought it. (The dealer had the van for weeks for that.) The warranty has been great but don't believe anyone who says Toyota's never break down. I'm hoping your son doesn't see any of those issues my sister-in-law has encountered so far. 
    That's no bueno! Any former insider insight @Mickey ?
    My wife drove them for the past 25 years before i retired in 2014 and never a problem but they never had over 6000 miles. I retired and she wanted that for her driver so we bought her a new one and in three years it had 78,000 miles (we traveled heavy at retirement mostly in that van). Never a problem. Bought a new 2017 and put 45,000 and traded it for a 4Runner that she/we drive now. 
    No they don’t have much problems from my days in the dealership and owning them. Personally i am not a fan because of the look (think 4Runners 100% better looking).

Not knowing the amount of miles your sister-in-laws had or if it had been in an accident or the miles rolled back not any way to comment. Just my years with Toyota they gave very few problems. They are extremely great road cars (that unfortunately are a van and look like a van). 

Also the “ Manufacturer won't let them charge higher than MSRP for new vehicles”  is not true. The manufacturer cannot do that. Dealers all over the USA sell hard to get units for thousands over MSRP everyday. 
    I never did at my store and always suggested you walk away from that.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks for your input and reassurance @Mickey.
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,108
    Options
    @WeberWho I hope so too, who would have thought. Our expericence with Honda and Toyota have been impeccable, may be they don't make them like they used to.

These Toyota models are so scarce and in demand around here that most dealers have minimum six months wait list. I heard one actually quoted five years riduculously to deter sales. Apparently there's this thing... instead of selling at MSRP permitted, some unscrupulous dealers put super low mileage on new cars and sell them as 'used'. Manufacturer won't let them charge higher than MSRP for new vehicles, but they can get away with selling used over MSRP. Our son found this dealer way north of the city and had to wait only two months.

Their warranty has been great so it's just more of a headache at this point with the repairs. Their main reason for the purchase was because of the Toyota name. It appears that others are also having transmission issues with newer Siennas. (Within the last 4-5 years.) I want to say my sister-in-laws went out around 75K miles. I've seen a few other Sienna posts of people saying their transmission went out at 60K miles. I've also seen older model Sienna posts that mention that they have gone 3-400K on their original transmission and it's still going strong. So I'm hoping Toyota figured something out with your son's newer model and is 100% trouble free for him and his family. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @WeberWho
    I'm going to read more into that and let our son know.
    Speaking of transmission...early 2000's Odyssey had a known transmission issue, so much so that Honda voluntarily extended its warranty to seven years.  I was hoping for it to fail before the seven-year warranty expired but no such luck. 24 years later it's still going.
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,108
    Options
    I just did a little research and their was a class action lawsuit over Toyota's UA80 transmission that went into 1 million Toyota vehicles in 2018, 2019, and 2020. It looks like Toyota changed out transmissions in 2021. So I'm thinking your son should be in good shape. 

My sister-in-law would have been billed over $11K for a transmission replacement at the dealer if the warranty wouldn't have covered it. So I'm happy it crapped out as early as it did and I'm hoping for the best from here on out with their vehicle. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,642
    Options
    ...Apparently there's this thing... instead of selling at MSRP permitted, some unscrupulous dealers put super low mileage on new cars and sell them as 'used'. Manufacturer won't let them charge higher than MSRP for new vehicles, but they can get away with selling used over MSRP. 
    This makes my blood boil.  

Prince William:  Proof that White Men can't Dance

• Canugghead
    Options
    @WeberWho Thanks for the additional info. Your SIL was lucky, like Mickey said you don't know the history, perhaps excessive towing or neglect.  One thing I learned from the salesman today, it's a sealed transmission system with no dipstick, not sure how long it has been like that.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @botch indeed, no kidding eh!
    canuckland
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,736
    Options
    ^^^Awesome^^^

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,421
    Options

Jealous. Never been to those hallowed grounds. Looks like a beautiful park
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    Options
    Ballpark hallowed grounds need to get some history.  But it looks like a nice stadium.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Next time, sit here 
                                  |
                                  |
                                \|/
                                  | 

canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Watching Red Dawn. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    Real ballparks don't have roofs.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Battleborn
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    They do when the average summer temperature is the sun. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,375
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    They do when the average summer temperature is the sun. 
    Right! When the pavement is melting outside, it’s nice to catch a game in air conditioned comfort:)

@Canugghead that did not go unnoticed and I plan to look into it.  The regular food is absolutely atrocious at Chase field, easily the worst food at any ballpark. We tried a few different places this time, all terrible.  We will stick with the pretzels, sodas, and freezes.

@Battleborn and @lousubcap Chase field is a great place to catch a game, easy to park, easy navigate.  Very well layed out.  Tons of unique areas too.  Any time I get to catch a live game I feel blessed.  This one was extra special because both my kids came with me.  I told them I was going and they both asked to go!

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,736
    Options
    ^^^Whoa!!^^^

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,548
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Rib cookoff cancelled because of rain, so we posted up at a local bar instead 

Doesn’t seem to be raining lol
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,928
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    lkapigian said:
    Rib cookoff cancelled because of rain, so we posted up at a local bar instead 

Doesn’t seem to be raining lol
    Exactly!! They canceled it a couple days early, that being said, not long after this it was a deluge ( for California that is) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The bar folks were eating extremely well.  Better to be lucky than good.  
    @lkapigian - care to share the info on those bacon wrapped jalapenos?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Seems that bars and firehouses are some of the best places for barbecue. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,375
    Options
    Holy smokes!  Michelin Star bar food!!
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,928
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Texas twinkies , ground up brisket trimmings  ( cooked )and 
    Oxacca Cheese…large jalapeno, cook the jalapeno whole to soften , then slit and clean , stuff with the ground brisket mixture , wrap in bacon and a little Sweet Baby Rays at the end 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian