Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,178
    Legume said:
    Two cities in the greater Denver area have now passed laws that all new home building must have xeriscaped front yards and backyards cannot have more than 500 sqft of irrigated lawn.  This is soo overdue, the front range has real water problems and the building isn't going to stop.  Nice to see municipalities step in with solutions since the water headaches fall in their lap.  I have no doubt this will spread to more cities in the area.
    Ruining 'Merica one municipality at a time!  I want my water!  Get me ma wata!

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Legume said:
    Two cities in the greater Denver area have now passed laws that all new home building must have xeriscaped front yards and backyards cannot have more than 500 sqft of irrigated lawn.  This is soo overdue, the front range has real water problems and the building isn't going to stop.  Nice to see municipalities step in with solutions since the water headaches fall in their lap.  I have no doubt this will spread to more cities in the area.
    If it were up to me there wouldnt be a single blade of grass on my property but SWMBO likes it so I pay to have it (I may be dumb but I'm not stupid). 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    Legume said:
    If it were up to me there wouldnt be a single blade of grass on my property but SWMBO likes it so I pay to have it (I may be dumb but I'm not stupid). 

I hear you.  We’ll be replacing all of our grass over the next year or two.  Some will be replaced with turf, some will be landscaped to incorporate planting beds where I can mix in vegetables and I’ll replace a few trees (getting tree removal bids this week).  Our current veg containers just don’t get enough sun.  Everything but the lawn is already on drip. I’d like to have no grass, convert those circuits to drip and sell the mower.
    Not a felon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    If the drought out West doesn't break in the next year or three lawn grass is going to be the least of yall's problems.
    Here on the East coast we're down a few inches of rain for the year but I don't mind as my lush green grass doesn't need to be mowed as often.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,178
    An average size pool (15x30) losses about 500 gallons per week of water or 26,000 gallons per year.

That is roughly the same amount of water it takes to water a 300sq.ft (10x30) lawn for a year.  Assuming you water once a week all year.

Pools are not something we should overlook.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    An average size pool (15x30) losses about 500 gallons per week of water or 26,000 gallons per year.

That is roughly the same amount of water it takes to water a 300sq.ft (10x30) lawn for a year.  Assuming you water once a week all year.

Pools are not something we should overlook.

Agree.  For years I paid high monthly water costs to keep the pool topped and the massive lawn just kind of green-ish in the central Texas summer.  I’ve lived in inland San Diego as well and it’s amazing the things we do and the money we spend to bend arid areas to our will.
    Not a felon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    Stopped watering the small lawns for decades, mow no more than five times a year, collect rain water with four barrels for gardens, run multiple compost bins.
    canuckland
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I hear you people, but your words I cannot comprehend. No grass!?!?! Well maybe I guess if you live in a desert environment.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited October 2022
    I hear you people, but your words I cannot comprehend. No grass!?!?! Well maybe I guess if you live in a desert environment.
    Some peoples’ limits on what they will spend their money on differ.  Some people will spend lots of money on their family/pets, you on your lawn that says look at me…
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,212
    I love a green lawn like anyone else but not for hundreds of dollars a month. The last couple years have been brutal with the lack of rain and the smaller trees in the yard. I don't mind yardwork just not at that cost. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    i prefer orange pine needles covering the yard over a lawn.  dont like the smell of cut grass, dont like the sound of weedwackers, blowers, mowers etc on a sunday afternoon.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,611
    I had idly toyed with where I would relocate if I won the lottery, getting a little tired of humidity and hurricanes. I wanted to relocate out west to the foothills of the Rockies but the constant droughts and wildfires have changed my mind. Now considering the Appalachians . Of course we all know just how likely that is.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,056
    kl8ton said:
    Wow. Y'all been busy.

Couple comments. We have food trucks in our campground every weekend in the summer. Nobody has gotten sick that I know of. They are all inspected by our city. I know if they want to serve downtown during an event-their permit for that event will cost $2k.  I don't charge anything for them to come in. I'm thrilled to have an actuvity I don't have to work for.  I'm sure food trucks are a fairly unregulated sector. Some will get certified in an easier to pass health department district.... Those aren't allowed here. 

Food allergies... Like fish....

I have developed a weird allergy. I can't eat raw apples, peaches, almonds, cherries or nectarines as of 10 years ago. My throat closes in and my lips swell up.  Apple pie... No problem... 
    Community Events ( where I am) allow you to get a temporary food permit, the event has to be 4 hours or less in duration and it saves you from having to have a commissary kitchen, permits are usually under $100.00 for single event ..Community events would be considered cookoffs , street fairs etc 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I hear you people, but your words I cannot comprehend. No grass!?!?! Well maybe I guess if you live in a desert environment.
    Some peoples’ limits on what they will spend their money on differ.  Some people will spend lots of money on their family/pets, you on your lawn that says look at me…
    Not sure I agree that in this day and age, a green lawn says “look at me.” Plenty of fodder on the exotics thread, though. 🙂

Though at their core, you are correct that lawns and gardens were originally just a display of wealth (both in terms of the area they take up and in terms of the labour required to maintain them). 
  • I hear you people, but your words I cannot comprehend. No grass!?!?! Well maybe I guess if you live in a desert environment.
    Not sure I agree that in this day and age, a green lawn says “look at me.” 
    Don’t you, uhm, maintain a fairly green lawn there yourself?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    A great lawn is a display of happiness outside the house. Inside the house is world war three =)
    fukahwee maine

Not sure I agree that in this day and age, a green lawn says “look at me.” 
    Don’t you, uhm, maintain a fairly green lawn there yourself?  ;)
    I do. Or rather, I aspire to. But the above comment went to motive. Maintaining your property does not inherently mean you are looking for attention. The individual I know who keeps their car in the best shape is the owner of a Ford Focus. They definitely aren’t looking to get noticed; they just have a very healthy respect for their material possessions and have pride in ownership. In contrast, I know folks with high end vehicles who do nothing to maintain them. 

If anything, it’s the dead, brown lawn that will truly get you noticed, context-dependent. 😎
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited October 2022
    Not sure I agree that in this day and age, a green lawn says “look at me.” Plenty of fodder on the exotics thread, though. 🙂

Though at their core, you are correct that lawns and gardens were originally just a display of wealth (both in terms of the area they take up and in terms of the labour required to maintain them). 
    I agree that a green lawn says look at me.  It's when you start buying the "special" mowers and the "stripper thingy mubober".  That's more than just trying to have a healthy lawn.  It's saying I care more about buying expensive lawn mowers, grass seeds, fertilizers, and don't care how much the water bill is...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    As a kid we played punch buggy and world war three.  World war three pissed my mom off which was just as good as punch buggy. I would feel sorry if you are too young for punch buggy on road trips....
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    WeberWho said:
    It's not going to happen this evening but my wife picked this up for me. 

I believe it's 2 million scoville. I'm looking/not looking forward to it. 
    We will need video😁😁
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,825
    edited October 2022
    WeberWho said:

Were I within proximity and welcomed, I would gladly join you. 

Though with a name like @paqman, I think there are others more meritorious. 

Let us know how it goes. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    WeberWho said:

Please set up a video when you do.  Please.
    A former Marine in my office (and I know "former Marine" is a misnomer, but I don't remember the proper phrase) did this during my last office Xmas party.  Sam TCG and sons did a 3-way challenge too, on EweTube.  Both religious experiences (and that was for ME!)

So, please set up a video.  I'll send cash if you need it.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,056
    edited October 2022
    WeberWho said:

You’ll do fine, I’ve done Death Nut 1 and 2, 1 was all hype, 2 was tough but doable …good luck !!

v2 was 13 million Scoville
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    Hahaha. No video here. I'll have to do my best to describe how it goes. I'm sure it will be awful. When I was in my late teens/early 20's my buddy dared me to eat a spoonful of Da Bomb hot sauce. Literally to the point where it was sliding off the sides of the spoon. That was very much a religious experience. I remember sitting on the floor of our living room and remember feeling like my body was levitating off the ground while sitting there. I'm going to guess this might not be much different. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    Hahaha. No video here. I'll have to do my best to describe how it goes. I'm sure it will be awful. When I was in my late teens/early 20's my buddy dared me to eat a spoonful of Da Bomb hot sauce. Literally to the point where it was sliding off the sides of the spoon. That was very much a religious experience. I remember sitting on the floor of our living room and remember feeling like my body was levitating off the ground while sitting there. I'm going to guess this might not be much different. 
    Given your experience, I have nothing to offer, but like most things, desensitization comes with repetition. So make that spoonful of Da Bomb your routine until the big day. 😂
  • WeberWho said:

What could possibly go wrong?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    WeberWho said:
    Hahaha. No video here. I'll have to do my best to describe how it goes. 
    Nope.
    Sorry.
    You can't be our friend anymore.
    You can't post here anymore if you don't post video.
    Our Glorious Benefactor said so.

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho said:
    Given your experience, I have nothing to offer, but like most things, desensitization comes with repetition. So make that spoonful of Da Bomb your routine until the big day. 😂
    That was just bragging rights at the time. Who needs shrooms when you can just eat $20 worth of Da Bomb and go flying.  =)

Minnesota