Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Oh no.
    Heard a bunch of police/fire sirens, kept getting closer, and they all converged on my next door neighbor Glen, who is 92 or 93.  Two years ago he was still climbing the ladder and getting up on his roof; I've known him for 27 years.  
    Four cops, and two fire engines, had shown up; the second firetruck turned around before even parking, and the first one left after ten minutes or so.  The cops stayed for quite awhile, but I didn't see any ambulance, so I took that as a good sign.   
    However, Glen's whole family showed up, and they're all still there (six cars) so I still don't know.  Its not my place to go knocking on their door right now, just in case they are grieving.  I have some yard work to do tomorrow, maybe someone will come out and talk to me.  Dammit.  
    I would guess he most likely passed from the protocol described. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Will your eggs not boil water?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    Options
    Will your eggs not boil water?
    They will not.  I have tried and tried but it just evaporates.  Pretty sure it is against the rules of nature.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 382
    Options
    Boycotting the HOA meeting on principle.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,693
    Options
    @fishlessman special rules apply to marine or you are paddling. I remember laying on my stomach in what I consider rough seas trying to manually prime a two diesel motors that had filters full of algae.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    Options
    Botch said:
    Four cops, and two fire engines, had shown up; the second firetruck turned around before even parking, and the first one left after ten minutes or so.  The cops stayed for quite awhile, but I didn't see any ambulance, so I took that as a good sign.   
    However, Glen's whole family showed up, and they're all still there (six cars) so I still don't know.  Its not my place to go knocking on their door right now, just in case they are grieving.  I have some yard work to do tomorrow, maybe someone will come out and talk to me.  Dammit.  
    Spot on.  Around 6 I stepped into my backyard to watch the monsoon coming in, and the German Shepards to the south ran up to the fence, so I walked out to have a discussion.  They both started looking past me and barking, and two of Glen's daughters were in their back yard, and the one who lives with him waved.  
    She confirmed Glen passed this morning.  The other daughter stopped in to see him around lunchtime, and found him in his basement workshop.  He had walked down the stairs (against Dr's orders), walked into his shop, and it was his time.  
    I hope I can end my days that way, keep on Living your life, until its your time.  

@Battleborn:  when the police find a deceased body, how are they normally taken away?  I assumed an ambulance, but I didn't see one.    

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Spot on.  Around 6 I stepped into my backyard to watch the monsoon coming in, and the German Shepards to the south ran up to the fence, so I walked out to have a discussion.  They both started looking past me and barking, and two of Glen's daughters were in their back yard, and the one who lives with him waved.  
    She confirmed Glen passed this morning.  The other daughter stopped in to see him around lunchtime, and found him in his basement workshop.  He had walked down the stairs (against Dr's orders), walked into his shop, and it was his time.  
    I hope I can end my days that way, keep on Living your life, until its your time.  

@Battleborn:  when the police find a deceased body, how are they normally taken away?  I assumed an ambulance, but I didn't see one.    
    @Botch sorry for losing your neighbor.  He sounded like a good guy.  90+ living at home and doing what he loved.  We should all be so lucky.

As far as the body, if nothing hinky went on, the funeral home will pick up the body and transport it.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 948
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @Botch

Sorry to hear that. Honestly, we should all hope to go down like that, as hard as it is on those around us, even our neighbors. To not suffer at the end is a huge boon, and that mercy shouldn't be taken lightly.. Hope you can find some solace in that.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

Here, at least, any death that is not an “expected” death (hospital, hospice), police come out and make sure nothing is suspicious for further investigation. Medical personnel confirm death and the coroner is called. Corner brings a contracted mortuary company to bring the body to their office until it is released
    Las Vegas, NV

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    @Botch Sorry for your loss.  My neighbor went the same way.  She was incredibly nosey but really nice.  Was like having my own security system.  The block hasn't been the same.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    @fishlessman special rules apply to marine or you are paddling. I remember laying on my stomach in what I consider rough seas trying to manually prime a two diesel motors that had filters full of algae.

things usually go amuck in the worst situations. i run a main motor, a small kicker motor, two tanks with primers and an extra fresh tank stored in the hole and ive still had to use the paddle. worse scenario so far was tying myself  and the dog to the boat when things kicked up riding it out. should have known when i watched bushs secret service head in, i guess they didnt want to get their black suits wet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options

things usually go amuck in the worst situations. i run a main motor, a small kicker motor, two tanks with primers and an extra fresh tank stored in the hole and ive still had to use the paddle. worse scenario so far was tying myself  and the dog to the boat when things kicked up riding it out. should have known when i watched bushs secret service head in, i guess they didnt want to get their black suits wet

I don't understand why they're still called the secret service. Everybody knows they're there, and we all know what they're doing. It just shows that even in the highest ranks of our government, secrets eventually leak out. Also, making them all dress the exact same way seems like the last thing you'd do if they were supposed to be a secret. They should blend in more with the non secret people I think. It's the only way to make it work. Even I know you don't put panties on a single grape, put it back in the bunch, and keep that a secret somehow. You'd have to put panties on all of the other grapes too. It's plain old common sense really. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:

I don't understand why they're still called the secret service. Everybody knows they're there, and we all know what they're doing. It just shows that even in the highest ranks of our government, secrets eventually leak out. Also, making them all dress the exact same way seems like the last thing you'd do if they were supposed to be a secret. They should blend in more with the non secret people I think. It's the only way to make it work. Even I know you don't put panties on a single grape, put it back in the bunch, and keep that a secret somehow. You'd have to put panties on all of the other grapes too. It's plain old common sense really. 

they even named their boat....us secret service.   when bush was on the walkers point property the boat would have a huge gun mounted up front. this ones just a toy boat, the one off walkers was alot bigger and faster

08 15_5567  United States Secret Service Kennebunkport Ma  Flickr

fukahwee maine

• EzraBrooks
    Options
    Boycotting the HOA meeting on principle.
    Vote them out, and become the new member.  A bunch of my friends had these old crotchety tyrants running their neighborhood.  All the younger families got sick of it, during the next election they put up a real campaign and got elected to all but 1 seat and the won the presidency.  They had enough members that every bonfire we had counted as a meeting.  They would read all the insane angry letters outloud, vote to ignore, then toss them in the fire.  Guess what?  The neighborhood looked exactly the same, 99% of the people were much happier.  One or two people were fuming mad and never did give up with the angry letters.  It was HOA utopia.
    Unfortunately I'm in the opposite position, 80% of the neighbors are happy with the current regime, led by a douche bag who hires every last bit of house maintenance out, then clutches pearls when the few DIYers aren't quite up to the same standard. He also lets his under 5 year old children play in the street unsupervised (and sometimes into neighboring property yards) yet gets offended when you ask the kids to get out of your driveway so you can park your car. Unfortunately they and the majority have adopted the "if you don't like it, leave" mentality that too many in this country share. The only way this could be worse is if they come after my eggs which so far they have not. This dude is so nuts that he hired a lawyer and sued the builder and filed a complaint with the state AG when he thought the builder did not transition the HOA to the residents fast enough. Must not have a lot going on in his life if this is that important to him.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’m sure HOAs can do some good. I’ve never experienced one. But I can’t imagine owning a property where I had to abide by the rules of an association. No one can tell me where to park my bass boat!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    Clearly any talk about $$$ is off-limits.  Got the royal nuke treatment.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I’m sure HOAs can do some good. I’ve never experienced one. But I can’t imagine owning a property where I had to abide by the rules of an association. No one can tell me where to park my bass boat!
    I just searched "HOA" on YouTube, and wow.  I did not see a single one praising an HOA.  Mostly videos about HOAs over stepping their bounds.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Yard work sucks when it’s this hot and humid.

Beautiful stripes!  Well done.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    one of my docks got mangled last year when the ice went out.  instead of giving me a call, the lake association called the city building inspector and the state conservation officer. its still there.........get this, the president of the lake association doesnt even live in the neighborhood or on a lake
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,361
    Options
    I just searched "HOA" on YouTube, and wow.  I did not see a single one praising an HOA.  Mostly videos about HOAs over stepping their bounds.

Isn't the norm that those that have negative experiences with HOA's, or cars, appliances, etc. are the most likely to whine about it and post uncharitable views?
    If HOA's were, in fact, wildly unpopular they wouldn't exist. Lot's of folks ove them - it helps keep bass boats out of neighborhood driveways.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Isn't the norm that those that have negative experiences with HOA's, or cars, appliances, etc. are the most likely to whine about it and post uncharitable views?
    If HOA's were, in fact, wildly unpopular they wouldn't exist. Lot's of folks ove them - it helps keep bass boats out of neighborhood driveways.

they get creepy though when they do things like 5 mph speed limits enforced by radar and fines.......
    fukahwee maine

• Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Heading to Portland Maine. John Hyatt is playing tonight at The State Theatre and we're seated pretty close for this one. Seeing Lake Street Dive there in August too. Great place to see a show.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thanks @Ozzie_Isaac
    Snellville, GA

• EzraBrooks
    Options
    HeavyG said:

they get creepy though when they do things like 5 mph speed limits enforced by radar and fines.......
    Yep, and as bad as this one is, back when I lived in Texas the HOA hired a contractor to drive around the neighborhood and look for violations WEEKLY. I got a notice that I only had 1 tree in my front yard where the requirement was two trees. I bought the house with one tree in the front yard and the HOA signed off on the purchase of the house in that condition. However I kept getting threats so I planted the tiniest tree I could find just to be done with it.

Looking forward to when my kid graduates so I don't have to worry about living in the right school district and move out to the country.