Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,978
    Infusing chili oil.

Haha @GrateEggspectations this ^^^ started it and couple of friends went ya right  ;)
    canuckland
  • Photos not loading on mobile. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    edited June 2022
  • theyolksonyou
    Just finished the last of Obi-Wan with the oldest. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,167
    Just finished the last of Obi-Wan with the oldest. 
    What did you think? I haven’t started that yet.

I’m working through The Walking Dead with my oldest.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    @JohnInCarolina it’s a good enough story, but you kinda know what’s coming if you’ve seen the original movie.  Who survives etc…. Also, some things that the characters do that make no sense.  

Overall, enjoyed it.  Could’ve been my viewing partner. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cleaned out carb on the old pressure washer.  Draining tank.
    Just watched Maverick.  Awesome. All the nostalgia.  They did it up right. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    All those beautiful benches and sinks you've been installing, and you're doing small-engine mx on your tailgate??  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    All those beautiful benches and sinks you've been installing, and you're doing small-engine mx on your tailgate??  
    Yeah, well, good thing I did, I spilled gas all over the place and I had a hose out there.  Plus I was trying to use it (big pressure washer is stuck behind some stuff) and it was already by the truck.

Oh no.
    Heard a bunch of police/fire sirens, kept getting closer, and they all converged on my next door neighbor Glen, who is 92 or 93.  Two years ago he was still climbing the ladder and getting up on his roof; I've known him for 27 years.  

• nolaegghead
    Small engines have kicked my ass long enough.  I just ordered every cleaning wire and brush I could find plus several different fuel line sizes, filters, etc
    Botch said:
    Oh no.
    Heard a bunch of police/fire sirens, kept getting closer, and they all converged on my next door neighbor Glen, who is 92 or 93.  Two years ago he was still climbing the ladder and getting up on his roof; I've known him for 27 years.  
    That does not sound good, Botch.  I hope he's OK.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    Small engines have kicked my ass long enough.  I just ordered every cleaning wire and brush I could find plus several different fuel line sizes, filters, etc

the newer ethanol light grey gas lines de-laminate internally choking off the gas like a check valve was installed backwards.  waiting til the fall to change the one under the boat floor, to nervous to try changing it now.my gas drill needs the carb rebuilt yearly, its one of those milled out ones that comes apart like a deck of cards. the build up is horrible and im using the leaded premixed 10 dollar a quart gas now. two rebuild kits in my locker at the ready but i use an electric for ice fishing now

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • @Botch

My “like” was a show of support and not an endorsement of Glen’s incident. 

That hits close to home, as we live in a neighbourhood with a lot of older residents and are close (both geographically and socially) to quite a few in the 70-80 age range. 

Wishing Glen all the best.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,634
    @nolaegghead

Yes small engines have been a pain.  I now only put 90 octane ethanol free rec gas in them.   As I start troubleshooting,  I usually end up with a new carb. 

All had been going fine until my 13 YO filled a gas can from our off road diesel tank.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,837
    edited June 2022
    All you small engine experts - I have a pretty powerful gas snowblower that was purchased new and used now two seasons. Should I similarly be cleaning the carburetor? I’m not sure what frequency it requires. I’ve never done it before, but have experience doing quite a bit of basic maintenance on my cars (i.e., oil changes, tire swaps, spark plugs, door lock actuators, brakes, etc.) so am confident I am up to the task.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    I see you forgot the intake gasket @nolaegghead
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    I see you forgot the intake gasket @nolaegghead
    Yeah, I realized it after I started to put back together and put it on
    @GrateEggspectations shut the gas off and run it until it dies. Or buy fuel stabilizer for when it sits, but I prefer the former.  Also don’t fix it if it ain’t broke goes for a carb. The reason you clean one is because your engine is running poorly or not at all.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Btw Carey I figured you for a ultrasonic carb tank and spark plug sandblaster 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @alaskanassasin

Thank you for the info. Very straightforward explanation. 

Re: your comment about shutting the gas off - at what frequency should this be performed. 
  • Botch
    edited June 2022
    All you small engine experts - I have a pretty powerful gas snowblower that was purchased new and used now two seasons. Should I similarly be cleaning the carburetor? I’m not sure what frequency it requires. I’ve never done it before, but have experience doing quite a bit of basic maintenance on my cars (i.e., oil changes, tire swaps, spark plugs, door lock actuators, brakes, etc.) so am confident I am up to the task.
    I bought my two-stage in 1992, new.  I've replaced the skid plates twice, gas treatment every year, oil changes every two years, and even had to change the tires last year; but I have never touched the carb.  

• alaskanassasin
    @alaskanassasin

Thank you for the info. Very straightforward explanation. 

Re: your comment about shutting the gas off - at what frequency should this be performed. 

Anytime its going to sit for a long period. In my experience the fuel will evaporate out of the carb leaving all the crap (additives) they put in it behind which plugs all the small ports and holes.    Snow blowers, Generators, storing the mower for winter, anything like that, two stroke just dump the gas and run it till it dies.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    @GrateEggspectations shut the gas off and run it until it dies. Or buy fuel stabilizer for when it sits, but I prefer the former.  Also don’t fix it if it ain’t broke goes for a carb. The reason you clean one is because your engine is running poorly or not at all.

If one is not running pure gas (ethanol free) I would add that if the motor is a Honda that you also (1) drain the fuel line to the carb and (2) drain the carb fuel bowl. The engine will stop running while there is still some gas in that bowl. The only way to ensure that there is no fuel anywhere is to manually drain the bowl. At least that is the recommended procedure for my Honda mower. I'm guessing other motors are probably similar.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• @HeavyG

Briggs and Stratton over here. 
  • Botch
    Botch said:
    Oh no.
    Four cops, and two fire engines, had shown up; the second firetruck turned around before even parking, and the first one left after ten minutes or so.  The cops stayed for quite awhile, but I didn't see any ambulance, so I took that as a good sign.   
    However, Glen's whole family showed up, and they're all still there (six cars) so I still don't know.  Its not my place to go knocking on their door right now, just in case they are grieving.  I have some yard work to do tomorrow, maybe someone will come out and talk to me.  Dammit.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    edited June 2022
    @Botch hopefully everyone is ok.  Police, fire, and family rushing over doesn't sound good.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    With the boat I run it out a few times a year and run the tanks dry before taking it out.  Marinas say it will dry out gaskets but I've been doing that for almost 30 years without a glitch on those carbs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it