Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I have witnessed something similar in a yarn warehouse.  Dominos of the worst kind.  Luckily, no one was hurt.  Just a big mess.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,019
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I have witnessed something similar in a yarn warehouse.  Dominos of the worst kind.  Luckily, no one was hurt.  Just a big mess.  
    I feel fortunate to work in academia, where the only things that ever really get bruised are people's egos.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Having seen the factories in China, this could be a contemporary video.  The factories outside of the US definitely show how different cultures value life and limb.  I remember seeing a guy running a lathe with no safety glasses, shoes, or pants on.  Hot coiled chips (razor sharp) all over the ground he is standing on.  Not a guard or safety device in sight.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Just read an article stating that through a "quirk" in tax law Elon Musk may have saved between $400M and $700M in taxes.  The CNN article is very misleading.

They state he exercised options when tesla was worth $1,000 a share.  He then sold them when Tesla was worth $883 a share.  They then go on to say how he avoid all the tax liability.

Here is the aggravating part: He lost $1.7B in value between those two numbers.  So to "save" $700M in taxes he lost $1.7B in stock value.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp, he would have been better off if the stock value hadn't of dropped between exercising options and selling them?  

The reporter pretends like he avoided the taxes due to a loophole.  He didn't.  He never got that money.  It was paper money.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,359
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Having seen the factories in China, this could be a contemporary video.  The factories outside of the US definitely show how different cultures value life and limb.  I remember seeing a guy running a lathe with no safety glasses, shoes, or pants on.  Hot coiled chips (razor sharp) all over the ground he is standing on.  Not a guard or safety device in sight.

Let's not forget that in the US it took decades of developing government regulations to place importance/protections on employee health and safety.
    The Chinese will eventually arrive where we are when it comes to employee safety. As their middle class continues to grow they'll demand it just like western workers have.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    kl8ton said:

Let's not forget that in the US it took decades of developing government regulations to place importance/protections on employee health and safety.
    The Chinese will eventually arrive where we are when it comes to employee safety. As their middle class continues to grow they'll demand it just like western workers have.

This is an excellent point.  Everyone starts somewhere.  That will be the time we decide to move manufacturing to the next low cost country.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Just read an article stating that through a "quirk" in tax law Elon Musk may have saved between $400M and $700M in taxes.  The CNN article is very misleading.

They state he exercised options when tesla was worth $1,000 a share.  He then sold them when Tesla was worth $883 a share.  They then go on to say how he avoid all the tax liability.

Here is the aggravating part: He lost $1.7B in value between those two numbers.  So to "save" $700M in taxes he lost $1.7B in stock value.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp, he would have been better off if the stock value hadn't of dropped between exercising options and selling them?  

The reporter pretends like he avoided the taxes due to a loophole.  He didn't.  He never got that money.  It was paper money.
    Because my facts are stronger and more important than your facts...

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks guys. We usually get one per spring so that should have been it. Next up should be 4” of rain in a hour. 
    Just catching up with this thread. Glad to hear that y'all did ok.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,019
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    kl8ton said:

I think you are missing a fundamental difference between the US and China that is relevant to opportunities for workers rights.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,359
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    kl8ton said:

I think you are missing a fundamental difference between the US and China that is relevant to opportunities for workers rights.

Oh, probably.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,685
    Options
    To @HeavyG point “I think you are missing a fundamental difference between the US and China that is recent relevant to opportunities for workers rights.”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,685
    Options
    Very cool @Ozzie_Isaac
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,806
    Options
    kl8ton said:

surprised theres wood on the floors
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,806
    Options
    yesterday was black cloud day. paypal purchases of bitcoin.....yeah right. hacked bank accounts.....money from three accounts moved magically into one account at lunch, now locked.   then two work phones cant dial out...mobile network not available. today at the bank, three new accounts,  allow them to make 6 open payments from the original account for open payments.  new checks, move money around to the proper accounts etc.    chase down why the mobile network is not available.....great way to end the week
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,868
    Options

I’d love to say the excitement is white hot but let’s settle on tepid.  Give or take Everton, all the PL teams are more or less where they should be on the basis of squad depth and wage bill.   One of the promoted teams, Brentford, look safe while the other two head straight back down leaving a battle for that final relegation spot that could go to the wire.  

Saturday

Brentford v Southampton, both on 40 points and virtually impossible for either to go down.  Let’s do Greta Thunberg a favour and save some fossil fuel by playing this one out via a coin toss on Zoom.  1-1 at best.

Burnley v Villa, mathematically the visitors could go down but most definitely the hosts need a win to stay up. And the Clarets have found good form, leaving their traditional swim to safety even later than usual.  2-0.

Chelsea v Wolves, a home win will all but assure CL football for The Blues so an ideal opportunity to welcome Wolves who have quite frankly given up after 4 defeats from the last 5. A flaccid culmination to an anonymous campaign that could have been so much better. 3-0

Palace v Watford, marvellous - we can relegate the rotten Hornets, a team with just 4 points from the last ten games!  We don’t like them, they don’t like us - I just hope we don’t get all emotional and forget to play them off the park.  75-0 

Brighton v Man Utd - all results possible from this one because the filthy Seagulls have found form & frankly it’s anyones guess with Utd. The visitors need a win to stay in the mix for Europe next season, maybe they’ll do it but 2-2 seems about right.

Liverpool v Spurs - unbelievably the quadruple dream stays alive for the Reds and they are in imperious form. Should be a good match as the visitors have decided to put a shift in again during recent matches. Could be a title decider if it’s an away win, but mood and form counts for a lot at this stage. 2-1

Sunday

Arsenal v Leeds, the hosts are zeroing in on a top 4 finish for the first time in like forever while Leeds really, really need something to keep out of the relegation dog-fight.  Expect Leeds to roll out their own brand of brutal anti-football and it’ll be interesting to see if the Gunners have the cajones. 1-0 

Leicester v Everton, the Foxes have absolutely nothing to play for and the Toffees are desperate for anything to pull out of themselves out of the mire.  Reluctantly this leads me to conclude an away win is most likely. 0-2

Norwich v West Ham, collision of the despondents.  The hosts are officially sunk and the visitors fell in Europe mid-week.  A football fiesta this won’t be. 0-0  Or a a 5% chance of a massive larruping by the Hammers.

Man City v Newcastle, it’s the ‘sportswash’ derby as two colossally wealthy , state funded, clubs collide.  Obviously a home win but next year this could be the title play-off.  2-0

There you go - my mind is now on the the two huge beef ribs I’ve just procured and yet more damn mowing.  Tally ho!

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 327
    Options
    Here was a fun shot of my daughter competing in a reining show, this is one her sliding stops ...

Reining and cutting horses are my favorite to watch. Those slides are just awesome. Hats off to your daughter. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,539
    Options
    Here was a fun shot of my daughter competing in a reining show, this is one her sliding stops ...

very cool... B)
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    yesterday was black cloud day. paypal purchases of bitcoin.....yeah right. hacked bank accounts.....money from three accounts moved magically into one account at lunch, now locked.   then two work phones cant dial out...mobile network not available. today at the bank, three new accounts,  allow them to make 6 open payments from the original account for open payments.  new checks, move money around to the proper accounts etc.    chase down why the mobile network is not available.....great way to end the week
    Oh man!  Thay sounds like a major headache coupled with tons of stress and anxiety.  Hopefully you can get it all straightened out.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Making a batch of baked beans in the garage. Rainy day here. Conecuh sausage to start

I see those cookers all the time in the carnecerias.  What is it designed for?
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 327
    Options
    CP92 said:
    Thank you, I am very proud of her.  She took this horse, which was super skitish and nervous around anyone and has been learning how to train.  Her mentor has been teaching her to train the horse.  This one picture represents untold hours and hours in the saddle.
    The bond between her and that horse will never be replaced. I started riding at 3.5 and horses are by far the most unique animal I've ever had the pleasure of being around. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    To unstick calipers you just loosen that little screw on top…. :D  
    Options
    Whatcha measuring @nolaegghead

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nothing at the moment but I have 4 or 5 of those and I use them all the time