Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    SGH said:
    If I can ever afford a 9620 I’m getting it with a hot tub 🤣
    Make sure you get auto steer if you go that route 
    My brother I assure you that I will never have one short of hitting the lottery or Ron loaning me the money. But it doesn’t hurt to dream 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,493
    HeavyG said:
    Just learning that Blackstone has come out with a new pizza oven as an add-on to their 22" griddle:
    Don't see it on their website but it appears Walmart already has them  - https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/340662790?fbclid=IwAR34ASxAj0dsylh04olspdyOEPV1oOHR-ZhsDo_oZYUoPcvOIUFMO_S6lnQ

Also just hearing about this new thermometer:

Added my name to their list for the next batch of thermometers.

Thought it was a copy of the Meater and a gimkick.  Read the literature, pretty cool idea. Disregarding the predictive aspect, the stand alone display and the multiple temp sensors along the shaft is a great improvement.  Looking forward to seeing some reviews from the wild.
    I'd be fairly skeptical of the actual predictive accuracy here.  Meater's prediction capabilities are pretty terrible, especially on long cooks.  The reason is simple: it has no means of knowing the total mass of the protein.  Having many more temperature sensors doesn't really change that too much.  

As far as I can tell, this one doesn't have the ability for the user to specify the mass either.  It says it's trying to infer it based on a ML algorithm and the multiple sensors, but I suspect that's BS.  In principle this kind of thing could work well, but it would need quite a bit more interaction with users to really start to become accurate.  

The mass shouldn't matter too much if this prob is inserted into the middle of it.  Sure, proper placement is key.  Fat/meat density is a variable if not homogeneous.  Once you get the outside temp and thermal conductivity, what difference does the mass make?  Obviously the theory assumes you have either a round or cylindrical shaped chunk in there.

Thermal conductivity can be defined as the rate at which heat is transferred by conduction through a unit cross-section area of a material, when a temperature gradient exits perpendicular to the area.

I think I understand thermal conductivity, probably better than most, but thank you for the definition.

Exactly how long a mass takes to reach a certain temperature depends on a variety of properties.  These include, for example, the ambient temperature, the thermal conductivity, the heat capacity, and the amount of evaporative cooling.  Mass relates to surface area which is important here.  
    John, does your employer know that you are giving away graduate level knowledge on a free BBQ forum?
    Las Vegas, NV

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 846
    SGH said:
    We have an Rx version at the research farm.  Takes a lot of rubber and ballast to put that power to the ground 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    SGH said:
    Not regretting installing a air ride seat 
    I have air ride seats on every John Deere product I own with one exception. My 1979 John Deere 850 does not. 
    One of the first tractors I ever operated was a late 30s Model A.  That cantelivered seat worked pretty well.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,987
    HeavyG said:
    Just learning that Blackstone has come out with a new pizza oven as an add-on to their 22" griddle:
    Don't see it on their website but it appears Walmart already has them  - https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/340662790?fbclid=IwAR34ASxAj0dsylh04olspdyOEPV1oOHR-ZhsDo_oZYUoPcvOIUFMO_S6lnQ

Thought it was a copy of the Meater and a gimkick.  Read the literature, pretty cool idea. Disregarding the predictive aspect, the stand alone display and the multiple temp sensors along the shaft is a great improvement.  Looking forward to seeing some reviews from the wild.
    I'd be fairly skeptical of the actual predictive accuracy here.  Meater's prediction capabilities are pretty terrible, especially on long cooks.  The reason is simple: it has no means of knowing the total mass of the protein.  Having many more temperature sensors doesn't really change that too much.  

As far as I can tell, this one doesn't have the ability for the user to specify the mass either.  It says it's trying to infer it based on a ML algorithm and the multiple sensors, but I suspect that's BS.  In principle this kind of thing could work well, but it would need quite a bit more interaction with users to really start to become accurate.  

The mass shouldn't matter too much if this prob is inserted into the middle of it.  Sure, proper placement is key.  Fat/meat density is a variable if not homogeneous.  Once you get the outside temp and thermal conductivity, what difference does the mass make?  Obviously the theory assumes you have either a round or cylindrical shaped chunk in there.

Thermal conductivity can be defined as the rate at which heat is transferred by conduction through a unit cross-section area of a material, when a temperature gradient exits perpendicular to the area.

I think I understand thermal conductivity, probably better than most, but thank you for the definition.

Exactly how long a mass takes to reach a certain temperature depends on a variety of properties.  These include, for example, the ambient temperature, the thermal conductivity, the heat capacity, and the amount of evaporative cooling.  Mass relates to surface area which is important here.  
    John, does your employer know that you are giving away graduate level knowledge on a free BBQ forum?
    That is actually undergraduate heat transfer.  And it’s already freely available on the intertubes.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Not regretting installing a air ride seat 
    Wait until your balls drop, then you’ll really appreciate those.  Just ask @Mickey
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    HeavyG said:

For starters, I’m f*cking with you.  Second, temp and doneness are completely dependent on the meat.
    HeavyG said:

For starters, I’m f*cking with you.  
    Inconceivable.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,067
    SGH said:
    We have an Rx version at the research farm.  Takes a lot of rubber and ballast to put that power to the ground 
    My neighbors is the tracked version. Everything he pulls with it disintegrates, he’s either yammering on the phone or working at night probably running 8mph cultivator shanks peeling off, rims exploding, dragging fence row. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    HeavyG said:

Then there's the stall.....

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    HeavyG said:

evaporative cooling is the stall
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    HeavyG said:

Does the probe add hours during the stall.  I kinda don't think so
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Package lost for 7 days.  Shipping company keeps updating delivery date every morning to "end of day", been doing this since 4/22.  The seller will not send replacements because they say "look, they updated delivery, you will get it today".  Been in this Sisyphean loop for a week.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,489
    Package lost for 7 days.  Shipping company keeps updating delivery date every morning to "end of day", been doing this since 4/22.  The seller will not send replacements because they say "look, they updated delivery, you will get it today".  Been in this Sisyphean loop for a week.
    I am so saddened to learn of this.  I assure you my least favourite shipping company will make it right...
    And since you reside in Arizona, I also have a bridge to sell you.
    Yes, that whole ordeal sucks.  
    Take no prisoners when the bull$hit settles.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,021
    HeavyG said:

Does the probe add hours during the stall.  I kinda don't think so
    You forgot to say shaft.
    Not a felon
  • Battleborn
    I feel your pain. You do live in the shipping purgatory though. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2022
    I feel your pain. You do live in the shipping purgatory though. 
    IHere is the automated email response.  No matter the email I send, this is what I get back.

Hello,

Thank you for your email. Currently, the referenced package has no movement in our network and is being researched by our facilities and drivers for an updated status. Please be assured, we are making every effort possible to locate the package. At this time, you may want to contact your Vendor for any additional resolutions they may offer. If located, we will continue with delivery of the package.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please reply to this email.

OnTrac | Web Customer Service

They then change the date, and the vendor sends this automated message:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. I apologize for any inconvenience this has given you. Ontrac shows this is still en route and has a scheduled delivery for today 04/29. Here's a link to the tracking page for you as well:

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions. Have a great rest of your day! 

Thank you,

Rinse and repeat everyday.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Trying a pork shoulder in a pan.  Never done it this way.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

I like to wrap in a pan and collect all the renderings. Put them through a fat separator and reincorporate in the final product. Lots of added flavor. Lots of
    folks cook them all day in the pan. It’ll be great. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac

I like to wrap in a pan and collect all the renderings. Put them through a fat separator and reincorporate in the final product. Lots of added flavor. Lots of
    folks cook them all day in the pan. It’ll be great. 
    That is a great idea!  It didn't cross my mind to use a fat separator and reincorporate.  I usually use coke or chicken stock.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,489
    @JohnInCarolina - In addition to the binge watching, I figured you for a real high end cook that only you would get to enjoy.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    @nolaegghead all I know is my plasma cutter is more like a pressure washer. And in the winter my air tools plug with ice.
    Those twin tower deaiccant dryers get the dew point down to -40C (spookily, also -40F).
  • JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - In addition to the binge watching, I figured you for a real high end cook that only you would get to enjoy.  
    That would normally be my approach but it’s been a long week and I’m kind of spent.  I’ll probably do some sort of pizza tomorrow night, but nothing too fancy.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    edited April 2022
    Painting textured walls in two of three rooms.The biggest wall is done. Need to do lots of work in the closet. Took down some lower shelving that wasn't needed. Huge holes for the support Mollys behind the drywall. Smaller holes where the ClosetMaid drywall back clips were installed. Think I am going to fill the holes with the same kind of paper I hung on the ceiling to protect it from paint. Fill with mud and then add Orange Peel texture before painting. Closing in on the finish line with this project.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    SamIAm2 said:
    Painting textured walls in two of three rooms.The biggest wall is done. Need to do lots of work in the closet. Took down some lower shelving that wasn't needed. Huge holes for the support Mollys behind the drywall. Smaller holes where the ClosetMaid drywall back clips were installed. Think I am going to fill the holes with the same kind of paper I hung on the ceiling to protect it from paint. Fill with mud and then add Orange Peel texture before painting. Closing in on the finish line with this project.
    Depending on hole size, I usually fill with spackle for smaller holes, but larger holes (think door knob size) I fill with expandable foam, then trim it below the surface and then mud right over it.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    This. A bit more work left for tomorrow but nearly there.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    edited May 2022
    Bought this light for my home Cast Iron Pipe upgrade project yesterday. 

Had to repaint a few spots that I scraped trying to do the installation. Has four small Phillips head screws to attach the light to the frame, two at the top and two at the bottom. Real close to the wall so putting the light on the mounting bracket was a real challenge.

I need to switch out a Decora rocker switch for a Decora Rocker Slide Universal Dimmer. Doesn't come in the color currently in the switch.

Edit- I went to Leviton's site and they do sell the correct cover change kit. They include three in the package but not mine. Will need to order. 

All that brightness showed me where I needed to touch up the paint on the textured wall.  
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Battleborn
    Watching Hook with the kids and getting the birthday weekend drinks on. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    Just doused some chicken leg quarters with Japanese barbecue sauce and put in the fridge to marinate over night. Watch me be out of lump tomorrow.