Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,321
    edited March 2022
    Options
    We’ll all get the well-deserved, extended break before too long, so I try to appreciate what I have. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hey @Ozzie_Isaac, just saw this ad and figured maybe you could save a few piles of green. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,140
    Options
    Hey @Ozzie_Isaac, just saw this ad and figured maybe you could save a few piles of green. 

That is awesome!  Thanks for sharing.  Could definitely use something like that.  Want to clear some land for an arena.

In a former life I operated a D6 on the regular and even D8s, 9s and an 11.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,674
    Options
    @nolaegghead we haven't heard from @ColbyLang since wheat hit $11
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Reviewing a bracket

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,987
    Options
    Acn said:

Reviewing a bracket
    seems like hush puppies and corn bread should be on opposite sides of the bracket.  I feel like the anti-breadites have rigged this.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,087
    Options

Are these conditions good or bad for you?  Around here folks are having troubles finding buyers at current prices.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options

That is awesome!  Thanks for sharing.  Could definitely use something like that.  Want to clear some land for an arena.

In a former life I operated a D6 on the regular and even D8s, 9s and an 11.
    Did you by chance spend some time at proving grounds?  Very jealous of getting to run the 9+ category, those machines are amazing.  
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - one of my YouTube subscriptions you might enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/letsdig18
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Don't ask me how or why as I don't have an answer but I ran across this YouTube channel maybe 6 months back. These guys pan for gold with small remote control construction trucks/tractors. These little RC construction vehicles can run 10K plus. It's crazy but everyone has to have a hobby. 

https://youtu.be/rl3ndbTpztM
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    Still here. Lent is the beginning of our “busy” season. To call it hectic is an understatement. 14-15 hour days here lately
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    Just saw a video of a tornado going through NOLA. Wishing you guys down there the best. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just dodged it.  Couple people texted me it went right by my shop and house.  I’m at the shop and SWMBO is at home.  Looks like we are fine.
    Options
    Some people here aren’t as lucky.
    Options
    @alaskanassasin here is an Amazon driver I pulled out this evening.  First Amazon driver too.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 327
    Options
    Trying to decide if I make it the whole day at work. Headed to Savannah, GA  tomorrow for a long weekend. I am notorious for getting antsy the day before any trip and starting vacation a little early. 

Chris
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    dbCooper said:

Are these conditions good or bad for you?  Around here folks are having troubles finding buyers at current prices.
      I have already contracted about 25% of my wheat.  I read somewhere that some elevators are struggling and taking out bank loans to cover buys.  I don't think that will be the case here because we grow very little wheat in Ohio but, if they can't actually buy it at harvest I will have to stick it in a bin till they can.

Personally, I don't have very much wheat, I have been custom harvesting for a neighbor for years so the last two years I planted a field of my own. But yes these conditions are favorable, makes me wish I had planted more.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
     For me wheat is a pita.  First you have to plant it in the middle of fall harvest, while we were dealing with army worms, hope it makes it through winter. Good drainage in the spring, once you have a stand going you have to split fertilizer applications, fly on fungicide, scout for bugs. If all that works out and you miss mid summer T storms that can lay it flat, you get to harvest. The optimal harvest window is about 2 days or the test weight starts dropping, Then you deal with straw, whether you chop it, bale it store it, or someone else bales it takes it, that needs to happen very expeditiously in order to get your double crop beans planted. Hope you catch some late summer rains to fill those out and you might have something.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
     For me wheat is a pita.  First you have to plant it in the middle of fall harvest, while we were dealing with army worms, hope it makes it through winter. Good drainage in the spring, once you have a stand going you have to split fertilizer applications, fly on fungicide, scout for bugs. If all that works out and you miss mid summer T storms that can lay it flat, you get to harvest. The optimal harvest window is about 2 days or the test weight starts dropping, Then you deal with straw, whether you chop it, bale it store it, or someone else bales it takes it, that needs to happen very expeditiously in order to get your double crop beans planted. Hope you catch some late summer rains to fill those out and you might have something.
    Sounds just like a sour dough starter!
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    The flip side to record crop prices is that everything goes up, rent, inputs, equipment, land prices, fuel, seed, everything.  At some point historically the crop prices will go back down and suck again, and some guys may have over reached, and well to quote Warren Buffet, "only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options

All im saying is, with goats, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, swmbo, I don't need the neighbors dropping off more things for me to feed. I will take care of bubbles, and if its too much Ill bring them back.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    The flip side to record crop prices is that everything goes up, rent, inputs, equipment, land prices, fuel, seed, everything.  At some point historically the crop prices will go back down and suck again, and some guys may have over reached, and well to quote Warren Buffet, "only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."
    no,no,no, its simple.......You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, you add water, up comes wheat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

All im saying is, with goats, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, swmbo, I don't need the neighbors dropping off more things for me to feed. I will take care of bubbles, and if its too much Ill bring them back.
    I am just giving you the business, my friend ;)
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

Yeah yeah, send me your address, Ill mail it to you with a duck.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

As my youngest daughter once told me, if the F-word started with a D it would be a DUCK!
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

As my youngest daughter once told me, if the F-word started with a D it would be a DUCK!

If you have ever raised ducks you might know why.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.