Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Fire for @sciaggie

For the purposes of administrative clarity, the 'like' I willingly supplied was mostly for the Santa Maria grill.  
    I do like a flamed veg kebab stick, don't get me wrong - but one day I will heave a huge slice of Galician cow on to one of those beauties, doused in coarse salt and live like a Basque. 
    Couple of links here to ink in some of the details as to why... https://steaksociety.com/basque-beef/
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options

Morning Coffee on the porch watching my butt....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Turning to you for practical advice.  
    I have ‘inherited’ this at my new place.  It heats the water and underfloor heating.  
    I am led to believe the builder unwittingly picked one of the more expensive ways to do so & am in for tall electric bills. 
    What do you reckon lads?

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Air source heat pump. The builder will have picked it because it's a cheap solution relative to ground source. The problem is, it's extracting heat from the air and when you most need your heating, the outside air is cold.

In the UK, electricity is up to 4 x more expensive per kWh than gas. The energy multiplication factor of the heat pump is lost in the relatively high extra cost of electricity. When it's really cold, it will cost more to run than gas.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Last night's salmon (from the egg) and vegetable fried rice (off the Blackstone) 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Air source heat pump. The builder will have picked it because it's a cheap solution relative to ground source. The problem is, it's extracting heat from the air and when you most need your heating, the outside air is cold.

In the UK, electricity is up to 4 x more expensive per kWh than gas. The energy multiplication factor of the heat pump is lost in the relatively high extra cost of electricity. When it's really cold, it will cost more to run than gas.
    Ok,  so as opposed to a a relatively linear fuel to heat conversion there's the X factor of low air temperature as well?     The paradox being that heating my house on a hot day, by 5 degrees, would be cheaper than the same hike on a cold day? 
    Can you still put magnets of meters to make them go backwards?? =)

• Eoin
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Eoin said:

Ok,  so as opposed to a a relatively linear fuel to heat conversion there's the X factor of low air temperature as well?     The paradox being that heating my house on a hot day, by 5 degrees, would be cheaper than the same hike on a cold day? 
    Can you still put magnets of meters to make them go backwards?? =)

You can get your underfloor heating nice and toasty today at minimal cost. Use the savings to stock up on thermals for the winter when you can't afford to run it.

Does anyone still have a mechanical meter?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    edited May 2020
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    I have ‘inherited’ this at my new place.  It heats the water and underfloor heating.  
    I am led to believe the builder unwittingly picked one of the more expensive ways to do so & am in for tall electric bills. 
    What do you reckon lads?

Water Source Heat Pump with inverter driven compressor , once the floor is heated the run times will be very low....very low wattage motor , even where I am and pay a premium per KWH, I would not worry about the consumption ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    edited May 2020
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    What do you reckon lads?

@NPHuskerFL might have some information, this is in his bailiwick.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    What do you reckon lads?

Water Source Heat Pump with inverter driven compressor , once the floor is heated the run times will be very low....very low wattage motor , even where I am and pay a premium per KWH, I would not worry about the consumption ...
    Cheers.  The previous occupants didn’t stay long and moaned about the costs.  We suspect they worked office hours and treated it like conventional radiator heating and not the thermal mass approach familiar to us Eggers. 
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    What do you reckon lads?

@NPHuskerFL might have some information, this is in his bailiwick.
    Thanks. I’ll stand by.  
    What is is to have real adults that I can delegate all my problems and questions to 😁
  • Eoin
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    What do you reckon lads?

Isn't it the other way round? Air source with hot water output for underfloor heating? We don't have blown air heating here in the UK.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Acn said:

Opened a new casserole pan Amazon dropped off, and got a bunch of chicken thighs on a gochujang marinade for dinner.
    I have a Denby one that size, same colour too, gets a lot of use. 
  • lkapigian
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Eoin said:
    lkapigian said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    What do you reckon lads?

Isn't it the other way round? Air source with hot water output for underfloor heating? We don't have blown air heating here in the UK.

Eoin said:
    lkapigian said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    What do you reckon lads?

I....ive alwa6s referred to them as water source anytime water is part if the exchange but either way so long as not air/air...

I guess in this application air to water may be more descriptive .

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    A friend gave some pepper sauce , so another Salami Weekend 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Eoin said:

The question is the cheapest way to fix the situation. He could add solar panels to produce more of his own electricity. There might be government subsidies in order to do so. But there may not be a convenient sunny roof. Or he could contract a heating contractor about converting to gas heating of the water. The thing is natural gas prices got as cheap as they are because of fracking in the US. Currently all fracking companies in the US are out of business and over a quarter of them have been bankrupted by OPECs current actions combined by Covid consumption drops. Long and short today’s gas prices may be cheap compared to tomorrow’s.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:

The question is the cheapest way to fix the situation. He could add solar panels to produce more of his own electricity. There might be government subsidies in order to do so. But there may not be a convenient sunny roof. Or he could contract a heating contractor about converting to gas heating of the water. The thing is natural gas prices got as cheap as they are because of fracking in the US. Currently all fracking companies in the US are out of business and over a quarter of them have been bankrupted by OPECs current actions combined by Covid consumption drops. Long and short today’s gas prices may be cheap compared to tomorrow’s.
    Natural gas is a fraction of the cost of electricity here, which messes with the economics of heat pumps.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Didn’t get around to doing ribs last night so had them for lunch today. Still one of my favorite cooks on the egg. My youngest will be enjoying ribs for dinner, her second favorite behind tri-tip. 

Wow... Meaty ribs, look great!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Eoin said:

Spot on @Gulfcoastguy I was thinking of solar as there is a good sun arc across one roof.   I'll need to look in to the economics of it.    My rationale being that cheaper fuel meaning lower bills.

However, my neighbour's view is slightly different based on the underfloor heating also not being of impeccable quality, plus set under very well insulated flooring.  

He reckons on breaking open the floor to reveal the water pipe,  junction that  to a decent size wall-mounted water fed radiator or two - to accelerate the warming effect.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @ColtsFan - Livin' large with those two cooks.  Gotta get me some more of that Walkerswood.  Great eats await.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Eoin said:

Spot on @Gulfcoastguy I was thinking of solar as there is a good sun arc across one roof.   I'll need to look in to the economics of it.    My rationale being that cheaper fuel meaning lower bills.

However, my neighbour's view is slightly different based on the underfloor heating also not being of impeccable quality, plus set under very well insulated flooring.  

He reckons on breaking open the floor to reveal the water pipe,  junction that  to a decent size wall-mounted water fed radiator or two - to accelerate the warming effect.
    I went for three years using radiant space heaters until I could replace my antique electric central HVAC unit with a 17 SEER air sourced heat pump( forced air) . Of course there are several differences in our circumstances. First we have very different climates. Second the ductwork was already installed. Third natural gas pipelines don’t run by my house. Fourth electricity is only 12 cents a kWh locally. 
    Maybe cutting an inspection hole in the floor someplace not easily visible will answer your questions? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - that's gotta be one he!! of a snack  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac - that's gotta be one he!! of a snack  B)
    I learned from @SGH just wish I had shrimp and oysters too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

I went for three years using radiant space heaters until I could replace my antique electric central HVAC unit with a 17 SEER air sourced heat pump( forced air) . Of course there are several differences in our circumstances. First we have very different climates. Second the ductwork was already installed. Third natural gas pipelines don’t run by my house. Fourth electricity is only 12 cents a kWh locally. 
    Maybe cutting an inspection hole in the floor someplace not easily visible will answer your questions? 
    No gas either & electricity (give or take exchange rate) 40 cent per day,  plus 25 cents / kWh.   Thick socks this Winter,  although (hear the sound of straws being clutched)  it has been very warm here and the temperature in the house has not changed much,  so hoping its well insulated and at least I am not warming the garden!