Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,726
    First time dumping ash with the new KAB dog bowl. It’s a winner. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,548
    @lkapigian Creative genius right there.  Orders of magnitude better than that thing McD occasionally cranks out I'm quite sure. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    lkapigian said:
    Baby Back sliders
    When I first read that I thought it said “Back Bay”. The old eyes ain’t what they use to be. Thought you might be in Biloxi for a moment. At any rate, looks great my friend 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch said:
    I guess, I'm making biscuits now.  
    I heard a dull "thud" from inside the kitchen, wasn't sure what it was.  When I opened the frig to refill my iced tea, a roll of biscuits fell off the shelf, it had popped on its own.  
    The last time I made biscuits from a tube, they didn't rise and weren't very good; I checked the expiration date and it was from 3 years ago or so.  I checked the expiration on this tube, and its today, 8 Dec 2019!!  Those guys at Pillsbury have this down.   :o
    I'm surprised that they didn't hop in the oven on their own. Have you ever tried splitting them in half to line muffing tins and stuffing them with: cheddar cheese, cream cheese, chopped cooked bacon, and chopped jalapeños? I never have any leftovers after parties.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,058
    edited December 2019
    lousubcap said:
    @lkapigian Creative genius right there.  Orders of magnitude better than that thing McD occasionally cranks out I'm quite sure. 
    Thank you @SGH @lousubcap ...carmalized onions ,jalapeno jelly sauce and deboned ribs
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,027
    Botch said:
    I guess, I'm making biscuits now.  
    I heard a dull "thud" from inside the kitchen, wasn't sure what it was.  When I opened the frig to refill my iced tea, a roll of biscuits fell off the shelf, it had popped on its own.  
    The last time I made biscuits from a tube, they didn't rise and weren't very good; I checked the expiration date and it was from 3 years ago or so.  I checked the expiration on this tube, and its today, 8 Dec 2019!!  Those guys at Pillsbury have this down.   :o
    I'm surprised that they didn't hop in the oven on their own. Have you ever tried splitting them in half to line muffing tins and stuffing them with: cheddar cheese, cream cheese, chopped cooked bacon, and chopped jalapeños? I never have any leftovers after parties.
    They (today's batch) were a failure too.  Before I try stuffing them as you describe (which sounds great) I need to have a successful batch on their own, and the last two have been Failures.  
    I may have to relinquish my "enthusiast home cook" card....  :s

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• SGH
    SciAggie said:
    It was good enough to do it again.
    I concur my friend 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Watching a couple of sea tractors. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,027
    SGH said:

That's a cool picture, Scottie!  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• If a guy wanted a good tortilla press, what ones would he look at? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @milesvdustin The one I have was a gift from a friend. It's an inexpensive aluminum press. @SGH Highly recommends his heavy cast iron press (not trying to speak for you Scottie - I just figure you may be busy on that rig).
    I cannot recommend a specific one - sorry. 
    I guess one way to look at it is that you could get an inexpensive one and see if you like making tortillas by hand. At the same time you'll see if the press works OK. Then you can decide if you want to upgrade. I dunno...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    edited December 2019
    SciAggie said:
    @milesvdustin The one I have was a gift from a friend. It's an inexpensive aluminum press. @SGH Highly recommends his heavy cast iron press (not trying to speak for you Scottie - I just figure you may be busy on that rig).
    I cannot recommend a specific one - sorry. 
    I guess one way to look at it is that you could get an inexpensive one and see if you like making tortillas by hand. At the same time you'll see if the press works OK. Then you can decide if you want to upgrade. I dunno...
    Brother Aggie summed it up very well above. For just a few bucks you can get one of the aluminum presses to see if you enjoy making them. The aluminum presses work fine for general home use and small scale tortilla making. One of the positives of them is they are very light and easy to handle. This is actually a bigger plus than you might initially think. One of the negatives of them is because they are so light you usually have to press, rotate and press again to get your desired shape and thickness. For occasional home use and small scale production this in a not a big deal. 
    If you really want to step it up a notch to the cast iron, I have a StarBlue that I am very pleased with. It is a 13 pound monster and will press 10” diameter tortillas in a single press. The extra weight is spectacular for pressing. However be warned, the extra weight makes it a real chore to move, clean and store. It is a real handful. If you will be moving your press a lot, go smaller. Victoria makes a very heavy duty 8” press that is a little easier to handle and move around. The 10” is actually a little overkill unless you need 10” tortillas for some reason.  
    On a side note, I also have a Tortillada 10” cast iron press that I picked up used. Like the StarBlue it is a 13 pound monster. I have not used it yet so I cannot speak from experience but just looking at it it is every bit the equal of the StarBlue. Both the Tortillada and StarBlue are 10” 13 pound iron monsters. 
    With everything above said and aside, I would recommend to most people the Victoria 8” cast iron press. It is much easier to clean, handle and store. It, like to other 2 that I mentioned is built like a tank. It is just a little smaller which actually makes it much more practical for general home use. However if you want or need 10” tortillas or going to be turning out large volumes, then I highly recommend the Tortillada and StarBlue presses. You really have to see them in person to truly appreciate them. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Botch said:
    SGH said:

That's a cool picture, Scottie!  
    Thank you brother. That is one of the small satellite units they had online last night in the Mars A field. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited December 2019
    SciAggie said:
    What type/brand pan is that small one on top?

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited December 2019
    @SGH That's an oval platter made by La Chamba 
    https://www.chambawholesale.com/shop
    Here's an additional source:
    https://www.mytoque.com/pages/chamba-cookware

I have several pieces of this pottery and really like the way they cook. Each piece is made by hand in Columbia. Since each piece is hand made lids do not always fit really well and they are not interchangeable between pieces. They handle heat well. 
    I have the 6 qt soup pot and I really like using it for beans. It's quite a bit more durable than a standard clay olla.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Just finished up a big batch of stock from a ham I smoked.  I'm set for a while. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Making chicken bombs 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,811

Birthday steaks

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    thetrim said:

I've been wearing my Blackstone out since I got it last April. That looks awesome! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TigerTony said:

That's the same look I get on my face when my wife tells me we're going to a couples shower.
    So glad you’re back.  
  • Done! 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    @theyolksonyou
    Thanks! I'm glad to be back. I'm fully recovered from open-heart surgery. I had my aortic valve replaced and a serious aneurysm repaired. I'm half way through cardiac rehab and trying to get my life back to normal. According to my cardiologist the valve should be good for another 10-17 years. What? I'm only 64! Then what?  
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    TigerTony said:
    @theyolksonyou
    Thanks! I'm glad to be back. I'm fully recovered from open-heart surgery. I had my aortic valve replaced and a serious aneurysm repaired. I'm half way through cardiac rehab and trying to get my life back to normal. According to my cardiologist the valve should be good for another 10-17 years. What? I'm only 64! Then what?  
    We'll be able to download our consciousness into robot bodies by then so you won't need it. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA