Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited June 2019
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Trying to keep it together. My son walked the stage today as one of our country's newest law enforcement officers. Top of the academy.
    Well done to you both. There's no such thing as luck, hard work has clearly paid off.

I have just passed my 25th anniversary and have only a year left to do.  Usually 30 years service in the UK, but I imported some pension so will move on next June.    
    Can be the best and worst job in the world, often simultaneously.  Would not have swapped any of it though.  
    No idea what its like in the US but we are trying really hard over here to get back to putting people first - not just meeting targets and slavishly following arbitrary policies.   We are also just out the back of severe austerity which saw budget cuts of 30%, but its stabilised now. 

Congratulations and thank you sir. Ironically my sons new boss, the Chief was the keynote speaker.He spoke directly to your point and gave examples of it being ok to shoot hoops with the kids in the park and getting to know the folks in your patrol areas. He made  very moving points to the cadets in two areas. He emphasized talking to your fellow officers and esp your partner about the things they see while on the job. The importance of not holding feelings in. He relayed his own battles with the mental side of the job. He also made a joke of doing the job for the money and encouraged them to begin 401k savings right away right down to laying out percentages and projected end yields based on starting pay for his recruits. The guy will be a great mentor for my son. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Went and checked the cows today.  They look content and happy. (Full disclosure, the three on the left and one on the right are ours, the two red angus are in with them while their field is being mowed for hay.) 

Piggies are also doing well, but did not get any pictures. 
    Moo!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,879
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Trying to keep it together. My son walked the stage today as one of our country's newest law enforcement officers. Top of the academy.
    Well done to you both. There's no such thing as luck, hard work has clearly paid off.

I have just passed my 25th anniversary and have only a year left to do.  Usually 30 years service in the UK, but I imported some pension so will move on next June.    
    Can be the best and worst job in the world, often simultaneously.  Would not have swapped any of it though.  
    No idea what its like in the US but we are trying really hard over here to get back to putting people first - not just meeting targets and slavishly following arbitrary policies.   We are also just out the back of severe austerity which saw budget cuts of 30%, but its stabilised now. 

Congratulations and thank you sir. Ironically my sons new boss, the Chief was the keynote speaker.He spoke directly to your point and gave examples of it being ok to shoot hoops with the kids in the park and getting to know the folks in your patrol areas. He made  very moving points to the cadets in two areas. He emphasized talking to your fellow officers and esp your partner about the things they see while on the job. The importance of not holding feelings in. He relayed his own battles with the mental side of the job. He also made a joke of doing the job for the money and encouraged them to begin 401k savings right away right down to laying out percentages and projected end yields based on starting pay for his recruits. The guy will be a great mentor for my son. 
    That's great to hear.  Sounds like he stole my notes when I was welcoming new recruits, too ;)  
    The emotional and mental health aspects were an open secret for years, we used to just expect colleagues to drop by the wayside every few years - then suffer awful, often brief, retirements.  I helped kit start a process for emotional processing after critical incidents to stave off PTSD a number of years ago, since replaced by TRiM (borrowed with pride from the Navy).
    Integrity, respect and empathy are his allies.  Naturally there are some bad people out there, but his judgement about spotting them early and how to deal with them will soon evolve.  

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,711
    Options
    @frazzdaddy you live in a beautiful area that is growing insanely fast, many things, actually almost everything has changed around there in the last 20 years.   I know you are very proud to be able to contribute to the success of your community.
     Godspeed to you and your family.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    @frazzdaddy you live in a beautiful area that is growing insanely fast, many things, actually almost everything has changed around there in the last 20 years.   I know you are very proud to be able to contribute to the success of your community.
     Godspeed to you and your family.

Thanks man. Come on back, I'm saving a place for you.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Lit said:
    My house flooded, broken fitting on the iron filter

There's a few grand in new floor I didnt need to buy
    That sucks. I’ve been hunting a leak as well. 
    @lit Nice lookin' hole. 

That got me thinking that I don't remember @sgh ever breaking down his hole digging technique to us for the master he unveiled a year or so ago?  Anyone?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Reading about how the F35 apparently cant even reach supersonic speeds without melting its tail and basically cant get into a dogfight without spinning outta control and crashing all at a cost of $400Billion or so. Any truth to that @Botch?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Got 900 sq ft of new floor installed in 5 hours. I was installing and marking cuts, wife was laying out and running cuts to my FIL who was manning the saws. Still have 225 sq ft to do tomorrow, my back and knees can't take anymore today, even with knee pads on the whole time. 

On the couch now with a cold one in hand. 

Man must pause and admire his work as he goes along. Nice job team.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited June 2019
    Options
    It's probably going to be a year or more until I put the trim and baseboards back up 

My couch is also not normally in the kitchen, but it is today 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,548
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Reading about how the F35 apparently cant even reach supersonic speeds without melting its tail and basically cant get into a dogfight without spinning outta control and crashing all at a cost of $400Billion or so. Any truth to that @Botch?
    First I've ever heard of the first two, could you show me your source?  I'm also not sure there's been a true dogfight since the Vietnam war, as the missiles are so good (without a fragile hooman aboard, they can turn, while not on a dime, at many more G's than a pilot could withstand).  The $400B figure is old, it's around $600B and there's rumor that it could go quite a bit higher.  
    Probably should continue this discussion via PM or a separate thread; I'd hate to sink this one if/when it gets political.   ;)

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• Botch
    edited June 2019
    Options
    It's probably going to be a year or more until I put the trim and baseboards back up.
    No it won't; you're married, right?   =)

Sounded like you had a good "assembly line" process going, but if you were on your knees the whole time, yeeowch no wonder you're hurting now!  (I finally had to buy a rolling low stool just to wash the car, knees can't do cement anymore)  

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Botch said:
    First I've heard of the first two, could you show me your source?  I'm also not sure there's been a true dogfight since the Vietnam war, as the missiles are so good (without a fragile hooman aboard, they can turn, while not on a dime, at many more G's than a pilot could withstand).  The $400B figure is old, it's around $600B and there's rumor that it could go quite a bit higher.  
    Probably should continue this discussion via PM or a separate thread; I'd hate to sink this one if/when it gets political.   ;)

Don’t want it to be political. Just thought that dollar figure was crazy. No need to carry it forward.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Botch said:
    It's probably going to be a year or more until I put the trim and baseboards back up.
    No it won't; you're married, right?   =)

Yes married. My wife and I didnt put the trim up when we built the house, we lived in it for 9 months first sans trim 

We still haven't painted that gray door in that picture, and the bathroom door is also not painted yet. Someday maybe 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Botch
    Options
    TEXASBGE2018 said:
    Don’t want it to be political. Just thought that dollar figure was crazy. No need to carry it forward.
    The dollar figure IS crazy, but as I mentioned its from "the good ol days"!  To be fair this includes the development costs, airframe costs, and the infrastructure, for not just the US but all our Allies (there's over a dozen).  

Still would like to see the source for the tail burning, or the spinning out of control.  

• Botch
    Options
    milesvdustin said:
    My wife and I didnt put the trim up when we built the house, we lived in it for 9 months first sans trim 

We still haven't painted that gray door in that picture, and the bathroom door is also not painted yet. Someday maybe 
    Sounds like a Keeper!!!   =)

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Botch said:
    TEXASBGE2018 said:
    The dollar figure IS crazy, but as I mentioned its from "the good ol days"!  To be fair this includes the development costs, airframe costs, and the infrastructure, for not just the US but all our Allies (there's over a dozen).  

Still would like to see the source for the tail burning, or the spinning out of control.  
    Can’t speak to its legitimacy.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/america-is-stuck-with-a-dollar400-billion-stealth-fighter-that-cant-fight

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Botch said:
    TEXASBGE2018 said:

Can’t speak to its legitimacy.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/america-is-stuck-with-a-dollar400-billion-stealth-fighter-that-cant-fight
    There may or may not be some engine design and other engine tweaks coming down the pipeline...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Botch
    Options
    Local weatherman has been predicting a good thunderboomer all afternoon.  It finally hit, strong winds and lotsa rain, yay!  Temp dropped 20 degrees, yay!  Thunder!  I turned off the sprinkler system for tomorrow morning.  
    I love storms, as long as they're not tornadoes.  

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Been working on this bird
    Got one more and I'll have 8 ready for paint (early teal season)

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    happy the blues won - now need raptors to finish em off.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,361
    Options
    Food Truck Friday again.

BBQ this time.... Meh
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,800
    Options
    A drone shot from above of the Gasoducto Sur de Texas-Tuxpan subsea mainline hanging off the side of the Iroquois just hours before it was lowered to the seabed for the final time. If you look close, you can see me standing on the forward starboard side of the platform just above the waterline. I’m the real good looking fellow in the red coveralls =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Options
    ^^^ Once again, thank you to the Buffalo for fixing the photo loading issue, all of Scottie's pics popped right up!  

What did I just do?  Thanks to a recent video, I propped up the new bag of Rockwood.  
    I turned the single, clean line of stitching away from me.
    I started at the left end.  
    I picked.
    I fiddled.
    I plucked.
    I tugged.
    I said a bad word.
    I got the scissors....   :bawling:

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    @SGH found a new good dream job for you.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95