Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SGH - so that looks like a 40 qt, right?  How much.  I need one about that size for small boils, like shrimp and crab, where I don't want to dump $$ on spice in the 180 qt monster.

Options
    Wtf are using to boil 180qts of water?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @SGH - so that looks like a 40 qt, right?  How much.  I need one about that size for small boils, like shrimp and crab, where I don't want to dump $$ on spice in the 180 qt monster.

Thats the very reason I bought this one, smaller boils. I will have to look at my credit card but I want to say that the pot was 40 something bucks. Let me look and I will tell you exactly how much. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I can answer that. 

• nolaegghead
    Options

Options

The pot is very heavy duty. If you don’t need the extra thickness, they have a standard thickness that is even cheaper. Still a great pot, just not as heavy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,667
    Options
    Wowza! If I ever upgrade my 80qt brewing operation then I will have to consider a crawfish setup!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Wowza! If I ever upgrade my 80qt brewing operation then I will have to consider a crawfish setup!
    Whatever you do, don't use your beer stuff with crawfish unless you don't mind your beer tasting like crawfish boil.   This has come up in my beer club.
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I channeled my inner @Photo Egg and found a deal on Craigslist. I found this Professional Kitchenaid mixer on Craigslist for $25. The gentleman listed it for parts. I text the seller and asked why it was being sold for parts? He responded by saying, "It needs parts in the right angle drive". Not really sure what that meant. Right angle drive?

Too be honest I went about my day and forgot that I even text him ealier this morning. That was until I got a text from the seller this afternoon asking if I was still interested in it. I decided to pass on it. Moreless not knowing what was wrong with it and the owner not knowing either. I would jump on it for $25 for the bowl and accessories but I have spare set already. So I text him back and thanked him for his time and politely declined purchasing it. 

After half hour or so I get a text back from the seller asking me if I wanted the mixer for free for parts. Huh? Really? Wow. Thank you!

So I went and picked it up this evening. I couldn't just go and pick it up for nothing. I bought him giftcard good for a couple cups of coffee. I figured that was the least I could do.

I plugged it in this evening. The motor runs good and goes into all the gears without any issues. I can hear a light tick going on in the planatary. I won't be able to tell until I take it apart. I'm hoping it just needs some grease or maybe a worn gear. We will see. Hopefully something simple. Fingers crossed...

Sweet...looks in perfect shape.
    Awesome score!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Great score @WeberWho.  Classy move to bring him something.

Are you still rebuilding these stand mixers, or was that a passing thing?

Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    blasting said:

Great score @WeberWho.  Classy move to bring him something.

Are you still rebuilding these stand mixers, or was that a passing thing?

I regreased one a few months ago for an egger friend. Probably the first one I cracked open in close to a year. I've flipped a couple in the past. I'm way too anal when cleaning/regreasing them to be very profitable. Hence the reason why I've had one sitting in my garage the last year waiting to be regreased and sold. 

This one should be a learning experience. The internals of this particular mixer model a little different than what I'm used to work on. Which is okay as it will change things up a bit. 

Definitely more enjoyable when doing it for friends. Kind of like grilling I guess.  =)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    @WeberWho- perhaps the "right angle drive" he was talking about is the "power takeoff" in the front where you can attach those optional accessories like a meat grinder, etc.??
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    @WeberWho- perhaps the "right angle drive" he was talking about is the "power takeoff" in the front where you can attach those optional accessories like a meat grinder, etc.??
    When I picked it up this evening the owner pointed out where he heard some noise. He pointed up towards the front of the mixer. I plugged it in when I got home to listen for play. I didn't want to power it up for long if it was something serious. So for the few seconds it was on it sounded like a tooth of a gear was getting skipped over. My guess is that one of the drive gears is worn. That's just a quick guess without opening it up. I'm hoping for something simple like that. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Straight chillin today. 3rd bourbon and ginger almost nap time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    About to chow down on a liver pate and onion on rye sammich for lunch.
    edited July 2018
    Options

Not a bad deal...
    No, it’s not mine. No, I don’t need it. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Lit said:
    Another benefit to the Yeti 50 being taller is it keeps them in check longer. 
    That picture makes me queezy
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    Another benefit to the Yeti 50 being taller is it keeps them in check longer. 
    That picture makes me queezy
    Why?
  • thetrim
    Options
    @lit, I just picture that sweet kid getting stuck in the cooler.  I am sure you are right there the whole time, but you hear crazy stories like that.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @lit, I just picture that sweet kid getting stuck in the cooler.  I am sure you are right there the whole time, but you hear crazy stories like that.

I wonder how many kids got locked in coolers before Yeti started sending these stickers with each purchase?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Wow you right about that.. Hadn't looked at it that way..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    thetrim said:

I wonder how many kids got locked in coolers before Yeti started sending these stickers with each purchase?
    Probably close to zero.

I don't know about coolers but a few babies die each year from falling into 5 gallon buckets and drowning (which is one of those statistics that make you go "really?").

I'm guessing the same sort of scenario could happen with some coolers.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    That's probably part of the backstory to how Houdini got started.  Fell into a Yeti cooler and figured out how to push the top open and climb out.
    Options
    Plowing my way through the "What are you drinking thread" ...959 to go..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • thetrim
    Options
    And I've seen recent videos of toddlers getting crushed by falling furniture when trying to climb on it.  Sure, they are freak accidents, but if that happens to a kid you know, or eve worse to one of your own, life ends as you know it.

I once left my kids unattended for 30 seconds top in the bath tub one day.  They were probably 4 and 3 at the time.  I came back in to no kids in the tub.  They jumped out of the tub, got into our garage, drove their battery operated Jeep to the playground 10 houses down, and we're playing on the playground butt ass nekkid.  As my wife and I were running around looking for them, a neighbor asked, "Did you have a couple escapees?" and pointed us in the right direction.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    30 seconds?!  Man, those kids can MOVE!