Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Comments

• I slept in a gas fireplace the night after prom. Eat it, suckers.
    was it on?

Luckily, no. No penises drawn on my face either.

A few pics from years ago in my barracks room. The guy with the cigs on his face is my brother (we were in the same unit.) imageimage
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ...and those are military spec Sharpies.....

Luckily, no. No penises drawn on my face either.

A few pics from years ago in my barracks room. The guy with the cigs on his face is my brother (we were in the same unit.) imageimage

of course you did. Hilarious.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Ink lasts four years.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited September 2014
    Looking good. Done at 200 in right at 7 hrs 15 min. I hr per lb at roughly 300. I'm ready to roll for NOLA! Here it is when it went it at 11 am image Here it is 5 hrs in: image And here it is at 7 hrs 15 min when done: image
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks great cen!  Nice bark!!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    Looks excellent brother Tex. A tough act to follow for sure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy said:
    Looks great cen!  Nice bark!!!!

thanks. Just salt and pepper so I'm happy with it. Can't wait to try it.It's all jiggly and I can smell the smoke.High hopes for this one.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Hey! I can get mine to look like that on the outside. It's the inside that gives me trouble. ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• TigerTony said:
    Hey! I can get mine to look like that on the outside. It's the inside that gives me trouble. ;)

we will find out in a few minutes but it looks ok so far. hopefully you'll be able to pull a few tips from brisket camp. i'm going to try to get mine on by 10 am which means i'll light the egg by 9 and prep the brisket while the egg is heating up. Not sure about sgh and i'm not sure who else is cooking.
  • SGH
    Brother Tex I will start bringing the vertical up around 8:00am. It's a lot of steel to bring up to temp and lock in. Going to shoot for loading the meat about the same time. I want it to be locked in good. Got some shrimp stuffed poultry and some stuffed pork shoulders im throwing in with the brisket. The stuffed poultry won't fair well to temp drops so I'm going to bring it online early and get it dialed in. I hope :D

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,558
    @nolaegghead-when the after hang-over clears, please share any new pearls of brisket cooking with the masses.  With the aforementioned entertainment on tap I'm sure there will be a few bits of enlightenment somewhere. Although I really don't eggspect much from such a party.  Congrats on pulling this together-( I know it takes a whole lot more effort than is presented here). I am envious! And I will now go submerged and undetected on this thread for  awhile! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • It was really good. I prefer a good rub over salt and pepper on all Briskets not SRF but it was oaky, smoky, and juicy as all get out. Best one in a while. Didn't get many pics cuz we
    Were grubbing down but here are a few. See ya'll in NOLA!

imageimage
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Those are some lucky damn firemen!!  Great job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:
    Those are some lucky damn firemen!!  Great job!

they already had plans so we ate it ourselves :) They do get some good grub from time to time though.
  • SGH
    Looks like a winner to me brother Tex.

Status- Standing by.

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Oh Boy! Can't wait to see you live and in action.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I'm the one with my shirt off. That is probably 2am in Alaska(yes the sun is still shining) That was about 10 years ago. image

Only 2 shockers and 1 40oz? I am disappoint.

The Interpunk shirt makes it a winner, though.
  • SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    Brother picked up all the meat. Besides the brisket I'm bringing a couple of chickens I'm going to debone and stuff with gulf shrimp. A couple of pork shoulders that I'm going to stuff and some seafood balls. That should be enough to pacify my appetite. What are y'all going to eat? ;)

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    @SGH - I'm cooking brisket - throwing one on the night before so we have some for lunch.  Another will be sous vide and it just needs a few hours on the smoker, putting that on in the morning. 

We have friends making sides.  I will try to get oysters.  We'll have a keg, cases of booze, wine, music and a band from 6PM to 10.  I will have a sound system for when the band isn't playing.

I'm just cooking choice - left side, brisket.  I'll probably bring a few tri-tips to throw on with board sauce.  I'll pick up all the Styrofoam, plastic and paper products.  
    @nolaegghead‌
    Sounds like a feast in the making!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    My wife is going to grind and pre roll
    Some seafood balls. They cook fast and are awesome to snack on. I'm bringing a few of them for folks to try.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    @SGH - sounds delicious!  I think we'll have plenty of food.  I hope some people show up to help us eat it, but if not, we'll have some massive doggie bags to take home!
    @nolaegghead‌
    I would rather have a little to much than to come up short. Folks might get hostile if there isn't enough food!!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    @SGH - yeah you right.

I plan on spending some bread on bread.  Since this is New Orleans, it will primarily be french bread, but that might fend off a riot if we aren't getting the proteins out fast enough.  Maybe a pot of gravy would make that even better.
    In other news, Henapple is staying at my crib.  He's bringing 30 bags of OO.  Travis got beat up by his wife and can't make it.  2 black eyes?  Seriously brother?  Well, maybe next time.
    I was kidding about the beating.  Travis was not beat up as far as I know but still can not make it.  He is saddened that he will miss what would have been the best time of his life.  He'll fill that void by making up stories in his old age.  His grandchildren will think he's a riot.
    I wish brother Strick could make it. He seems like a very fine person. Have been wanting to meet him for some time.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    He is.  If I needed someone to watch my back, he'd be at the top of the list.  And ladies and gentlemen, he's a damn good cook.