Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Options

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options

Picked these up today. Store pick Old Elk Rye coming in at 121 and a Lagavulin that I’ve never seen before. Plan to sample the Scotch in a bit.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Picked these up today. Store pick Old Elk Rye coming in at 121 and a Lagavulin that I’ve never seen before. Plan to sample the Scotch in a bit.
    Killer. I picked up a wheater store pick old elk I thought was pretty good. Can’t remember the proof but it was a heater like that one. I’m especially interested in the Lagavulin. That’s right up my alley. Please revisit with some feedback on both. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

I'm a big fan of the Sour Mash Old Elk.  Enjoy.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• shtgunal3
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Killer. I picked up a wheater store pick old elk I thought was pretty good. Can’t remember the proof but it was a heater like that one. I’m especially interested in the Lagavulin. That’s right up my alley. Please revisit with some feedback on both. 
    Pete, this Lagavulin is very similar to their 8 & 16 year old scotches. To my un refined palate this one is a little more peaty/harsh. Not Laphroig harsh but a touch more so than it’s 16 year old sibling.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• pgprescott
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    shtgunal3 said:

Pete, this Lagavulin is very similar to their 8 & 16 year old scotches. To my un refined palate this one is a little more peaty/harsh. Not Laphroig harsh but a touch more so than its 16 year old sibling.
    That stands to reason. The 8 is definitely more harsh than the 16. Time in the barrel softens and rounds out the rough edges. The 8 is so much cheaper I keep a bottle around, but I much prefer the 16. What are they getting for the 11? 

If you enjoy the peaty stuff I’d recommend the Ardbeg lineup or Bowmore. Thanks for the info. 
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    I’ve had both thanks. The 11 was $80

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Bottle kill here.   Kinda thinking good riddance, pretty darn hot for my likings.  

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @TechsasJim I agree. I’ve only had one bottle of that. It’s gone and not one that I plan to replace.

• FrostyEgg
    Options
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Happy National Margarita Day!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    Oh man, that looks solid! Margs are a warm weather thing for me and it's far from warm here currently. I should get supplies though!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Recipe, the day must be thru the weekend..  ..
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TheFishWhisperer
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Saturdays are my day for boozin.
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    What is your marg recipe with cointreau?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    What is your marg recipe with cointreau?
    Was just looking for his ratios, don't normally make these. I know resteraunts can go from hohum to great.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My Kentucky purchases. 

I was in Paducah for work this morning. Went to several stores looking for goodies. Not one single store had Buffalo Trace. Was very surprised by this. Only one store had BTAC and Winkle offerings. They were asking $300 for Lot B and $2,000 for ER17. Hard passes. Was surprised at most of them had Larceny BP and 1792 FP at good prices (good on both so passed). So several other goodies I’ve never tried but didn’t want to spend the mark ups they were asking. Most had some version of 4 Gate but were asking over $200. That’s one I’ve never tried but would like too just too rich for my blood. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    coffee

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Concur. I think Oz is gonna need some too. 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    @saluki2007, secondary on that ER17 is around $1000. The lot B ain’t bad considering. Taters will pay that lol
  • pgprescott
    Options
    My Kentucky purchases. 

I was in Paducah for work this morning. Went to several stores looking for goodies. Not one single store had Buffalo Trace. Was very surprised by this. Only one store had BTAC and Winkle offerings. They were asking $300 for Lot B and $2,000 for ER17. Hard passes. Was surprised at most of them had Larceny BP and 1792 FP at good prices (good on both so passed). So several other goodies I’ve never tried but didn’t want to spend the mark ups they were asking. Most had some version of 4 Gate but were asking over $200. That’s one I’ve never tried but would like to just too rich for my blood. 
    If you decide you don’t care for the Russell’s bottle let me know. I can trade you something for it. 😁 Nice line up!🥃
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    My Kentucky purchases. 

I was in Paducah for work this morning. Went to several stores looking for goodies. Not one single store had Buffalo Trace. Was very surprised by this. Only one store had BTAC and Winkle offerings. They were asking $300 for Lot B and $2,000 for ER17. Hard passes. Was surprised at most of them had Larceny BP and 1792 FP at good prices (good on both so passed). So several other goodies I’ve never tried but didn’t want to spend the mark ups they were asking. Most had some version of 4 Gate but were asking over $200. That’s one I’ve never tried but would like to just too rich for my blood. 
    You got some good bottles. I’ve wanted to get a 4 Gate but I get a sick feeling when I buy a bottle over $90 so spending $200 might put me into cardiac arrest.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    My Kentucky purchases. 

You got some good bottles. I’ve wanted to get a 4 Gate but I get a sick feeling when I buy a bottle over $90 so spending $200 might put me into cardiac arrest.
    Just spent $200 on the latest Old Carter offering. Batch 14. It’ll be in hand Monday and half gone by Monday night. Bourbon group get together for one of our members birthday. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @ColbyLang - Yes, I have spent that kind of $$ on a rare occasion (Japanese only Blanton's that a friend in country bought and discretely shipped to me) but I am beyond that now.  If I had @RRP 's or @SGH's money I would revisit.

BTW-while here, how successful was your auction?  Only a general assessment ,no  $$ desired. 
    Happy Friday-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited February 2023
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ColbyLang - Yes, I have spent that kind of $$ on a rare occasion (Japanese only Blanton's that a friend in country bought and discretely shipped to me) but I am beyond that now.  If I had @RRP 's or @SGH's money I would revisit.

LOL - If I am so rich then why is my choice of bourbon Ten High which many here would call rot gut whiskey? But I do use - not drink - Jack Daniels to cook with and make sauces! (hehehe BIG spender I am!)

Most money I believe I ever spend on booze is Remy Martin cognac which I do only use for cooking.

Otherwise I have a practically full fifth of 10 year old Glenmorangie Single Highland Malt Scotch Whiskey that I bought for a friend from Texas who only drank 2 fingers of it on the rocks one time. That was 16 years ago this month and then rascal died before ever coming back. I know booze doesn't age any more once bottled, but still it is at least 26 years old now!  Oh well - just something else that my executor will have to deal with when I croak from drinking rot gut Ten High=)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @RRP - as always, straight shooter.  Bourbon is such a personal palate.  Now, about Cognac only for cooking...  Allow me to introduce you to a champagne cocktail recipe that includes cognac.  Trust me, a great light cocktail:
    "The Classic Champagne cocktail is one of the most famous drinks in the champagne cocktail family. It is regarded as one of the more elegant cocktails. The Classic Champagne cocktail recipe consists of cognac, champagne and one sugar cube soaked in Angostura. It is commonly served in a champagne flute. This classic drink is fast and easy to prepare and is perfect for a festive and elegant evening."
    Details- linked here:
    And all in good fun, as you well know!
    Edit to clean up spacing-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    My Kentucky purchases. 

I was in Paducah for work this morning. Went to several stores looking for goodies. Not one single store had Buffalo Trace. Was very surprised by this. Only one store had BTAC and Winkle offerings. They were asking $300 for Lot B and $2,000 for ER17. Hard passes. Was surprised at most of them had Larceny BP and 1792 FP at good prices (good on both so passed). So several other goodies I’ve never tried but didn’t want to spend the mark ups they were asking. Most had some version of 4 Gate but were asking over $200. That’s one I’ve never tried but would like too just too rich for my blood. 
    That doesn't surprise me. It's just getting too hard to find any allocated bourbon at a reasonable price anymore.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Glad to find some of these bottles earlier this month in a nearby Costco.  It’s very good tonight and makes me think I shouldn’t be sharing this website.  

https://costcowineblog.com/2010-hidalgo-tradicion-h-gran-reserva-rioja/

Just in case there is sediment due to age, using the nuance wine finer in bottle aerator with filter/screen in it.