Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket..... How I do it.

Comments

• Ive done this a few times with great success. One question.....did you have an air gap between the plate setter and the foil pan? or was the foil pan placed directly on the plate setter? I think you would like the results if you found a way to raise the pan off the plate setter(I use the green egg feet) but there are many ways you can do it.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Ive done this a few times with great success. One question.....did you have an air gap between the plate setter and the foil pan? or was the foil pan placed directly on the plate setter? I think you would like the results if you found a way to raise the pan off the plate setter(I use the green egg feet) but there are many ways you can do it.

I usually use some crushed cans or balls of tin foil to create a gap. I dont remember what I did for this one. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Hey Travis! Love all your comments and postings. Thanks for all you do for the community here. Doing your brisket this weekend. Do you not apply the rub on the bottom of the brisket? Due to it sitting in the liquid?
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • travisstrick
    Sometimes. The allegro provides plenty of flavor. I can't really tell a difference.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Putting one on soon...tried your recipe last time. Turned out good. I'm going 300 till tender.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Bookmarked, thanks Travis. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I tried this recently as well, my first brisket attempt, and I did not "nail" it without the help of the oven.  I got a small 2.5lb brisket from trader joes, did the prep exactly like yours, but thought I could eat it in 3 hours and I HAD TO EAT in 3 hrs.  My thought was that at 300F at 1hr to 1.5hr per lb, I could be eating . . . but I ran out of time.  I had to pull it after 3.5 hrs when the thin side was just above 200 but thick side was lower . . it was toughhhh and spicy! We ate the thin side and i finshed the thick side in the oven until 205.  We ate the thick side the next night and much better but I got lots to learn with brisket.  Here are my before & after pics and hope I do better next time . . .  image
    imageimage
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Smoking brisket, butts and ribs should never be "time dependent" because they all have a life of their own.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Glad this was brought back up. I have it book marked and may try my next pork butt like this. Surmised this thread has 322K + views. Crazy
    Boom
  • travisstrick
    @NDG My guess is you had too small of a brisket. A full packer brisket (10-13lbs is what I like) usually turns out better than the small flats. 
  • NDG
    yes i think so, i didnt really give it a fair chance but flavors very good, ill try again
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • FanOfFanboys
    So I just put on a 5.7# butt using this method. I used regular allegro and bud light bc that's what I had at house. So see how turns out.
    Boom
  • travisstrick
    So I just put on a 5.7# butt using this method. I used regular allegro and bud light bc that's what I had at house. So see how turns out.
    My dad was asking about doing a butt this way (he uses an electric smoker).

I cant wait to hear your results. 
  • NDG
    This is my attempt plated after oven cheat finish, sitting on smashed cauliflower image
    Columbus, OH

• FanOfFanboys
    @Travisstrick Mine should be done within a hour or less. Sitting about 185-190. Depending where I probe. Question: what, if anything, can be done with the juices? Seems like a waste to throw away.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    @ndg that looks damn good. I love smashed cauliflower.
    Boom
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Not trying to dig up an older thread but it's a good one for sure. I think I'm going to try this tomorrow but wanted to see if there have been any enhancements by anyone since. Travis is this still your approved method?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This morning Travis and several hundred of his friends are at his Uncles place in California laying around the pool. I am sure he will power his computer up this morning after his breakfast at the Ritz. I am trying to remember what VI and I liked about the kid anyway.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    I still do brisket like this. Lately, I haven't been dropping the meat into the liquid for cooking but I still use it as a finishing sauce.

Mickey, I just used a outhouse at 28 degrees outside. The ritz it ain't.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Hopefully it wasn't a metal seat.

The best part of waking up, is Folgers in yo-
    AIIEEEEEEEE!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    I have done several this way and they come out awesome !

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I actually found a bottle of allegro at my supermarket in Florida but it's just the original. Looks like it's just soy sauce, garlic, lime juice and oregano maybe? I may just mix in some cayenne powder for heat. Thanks for sharing this Travis.
    Dunedin, FL
  • henapple
    RAC said:

I have done several this way and they come out awesome !

Brisket I or the outhouse?

• RAC
    Brisket =))

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• I tried this yesterday with two 7 lb flats. It took about six hours to get 205 and tender, but both briskets were really dry. The pans also dried up during the cook. Dome temp never read over 300, mostly 250-280 the entire time. 

The meat had great flavor and was really tender but was super dry. I will try again with one larger brisket and see what happens. 
  • Did the Travis method on a 5.5 lb flat brisket at 300 on my BGE. Hit 200 in 4 hours and pulled. Very tender and juicy but the Allegro made it too spicy for my taste. I will change to a milder marinade next time but follow the recipe otherwise. Much thanks to Travis for his method.
  • RAC

Allegro has a non spicy also.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    I tried this method without the Allegro. Substituted a mixture of Dale's, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and beef broth. It was only my second brisket, but it was off the chain! Tender, good texture, excellent taste, and nice smoke ring on the top part. I did go with a different temp. Started at 190* for about 6 hours then slowly ranped up to 300*. I covered the pan when the brisket hit 155* internal. It took an additonal 4 hours to hit 205* intenal. This was on a 5 pound flat. I will definately do this again, and again! Thanks for the technique. Worked like a charm. I'll get pictures next time.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • henapple
    omg....Travis's head is swelling.