Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

<span style='font-weight:bold;color:#FF0000;'>Car Wash Mike's Baby Back Rib Class</span>

Comments

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Can you FTC these for an hour or so right before the 30 min finishing stage? Working with one egg and need to make the bacon donuts for an appetizer before the ribs are served so I figure I can finish the ribs while everyone is enjoying bacon donuts. I know.,,get a second egg. In due time. Still have the wife adjusting to the patio with one. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @HofstraJet   You crack me up my friend.  

You say all in good time, making it sound like a few months, then bang! - less than four hours later you've bit the bullet!
    Phoenix 
  • I am about to try this method for the holiday.  I bought loin back ribs.
    I have 2 questions.  Is loin back the same as baby back?  Also, I don,t have a v rack.  How should I place them on the egg? I'm cooking for a large group. Mope these come out ok!!!
  • I was looking for a good start on ribs.  I'm new to both the egg and ribs.  I am really impressed by this recipe.  If ever a miracle is needed to get Mike sainted, my ribs are it.  Wow.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    This is tried and true.  Great technique. Have fun.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • It's almost been a year since the last post here. Just wanna say thanks for this awesome recipe and method. I tried ribs like two years ago and messed them up so bad and decided to never try again. Decided to try this recipe because of all the admiration of it and I must say, WOW! I'll now continue to use this method and pass it on locally!
  • @ CSmith Well done!! looks amazing.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    I am about to try this method for the holiday.  I bought loin back ribs.
    I have 2 questions.  Is loin back the same as baby back?  Also, I don,t have a v rack.  How should I place them on the egg? I'm cooking for a large group. Mope these come out ok!!!
    Loin back is the same.

Your best bet is to run to lowes or Home Depot and pick up a rib rack, they can be had for $10 or so. Unless you own a XL you will have issues cooking more than 2-3 racks without a rib rack, maybe others can offer advice.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    This is the next way I do ribs. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    edited November 2016
    Is there a noticable difference between these and the 2-1-1 method?

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have tried them every way you can think. Just about every way I have tried them with the BGE has been awesome. If I had to select a preferred method, it would likely be MCW. The results are consistently great, and there are never any leftovers. Ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited January 2017
    Going to try this tomorrow if the weather permits so I thought I would bump this thread in honor of Mike.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Have a Sam's 3 pack going on this afternoon! Going to follow this method to the T, or as close as I can get to it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Just Bumping this to 2018. I wish I had met him in person to thank him. We thank him in our prayers before every Rib Dinner. God Bless you Mike.
  • We ended up with some amazing ribs on July 4th thanks to this thread. I made a video of the method for others to use. https://youtu.be/tbhBzko-kmo
  • God Bless Car Wash Mike! If only everyone had a living legacy like his! I starting using his recipe several years ago and now I just tell everyone to Google Car Wash Mike! 

To Mike’s family, I only wish I had been able to meet Mike. Everything I have read makes me think that he made the people around him better.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    God Bless Car Wash Mike! If only everyone had a living legacy like his! I starting using his recipe several years ago and now I just tell everyone to Google Car Wash Mike! 

To Mike’s family, I only wish I had been able to meet Mike. Everything I have read makes me think that he made the people around him better.
    Was lucky enough to meet Mike at several Eggfests. Great guy with a big heart. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Is it just me or is this is getting weird?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    This is how I make my ribs.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Is it just me or is this is getting weird?
    Why do you think this post is weird?  Did you know Mike? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    I didn’t but have heard nothing but good things. Did you know him?
  • RRP said:
    I think everyone here at least knows *about* Mike and his legendary ribs.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian said:
    I remember seeing that when he passed. He hadn’t been posting in a while but all the regulars back then were pretty upset about it. I don’t think he was on the corporate forum as much as they ported his stuff over from greeneggers.com (the OG forum before it went corporate). I think Ron and several others were pretty involved with the first forum but I came in right after that. I was on both for a while but it was too much for me to keep up with. I can only lie in one place at a time :) 
  • Just prepped my ribs for tomorrow then reread the instructions of no more than 2 hours in the fridge, anyone know the reasoning behind that statement? I guess I’ll see how the cook goes tomorrow. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    I can only lie in one place at a time :) 
    Practice makes perfect. Try harder my friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Just prepped my ribs for tomorrow then reread the instructions of no more than 2 hours in the fridge, anyone know the reasoning behind that statement? I guess I’ll see how the cook goes tomorrow. 
    If you leave salt on ribs for too long it can brine them all the way through. Gives them kind of a “hammy” flavor. Still good but not optimal for bbq. 

Youll be fine and these will still be delicious. I never let my ribs sit at all. They go in the smoker right after the rub. 
    If you leave salt on ribs for too long it can brine them all the way through. Gives them kind of a “hammy” flavor. Still good but not optimal for bbq. 

Youll be fine and these will still be delicious. I never let my ribs sit at all. They go in the smoker right after the rub. 
    Thank you for this. Great to know. I used Byron’s so I’ll see how it goes. 

Thank you for this. Great to know. I used Byron’s so I’ll see how it goes. 
    It will also firm the texture up quite a bit. Bad Byrons has a lot of salt so you may notice it on this one. Will still be good but you will get a more more traditional bbq  flavor and texture if you dont  let them sit in salt for too long.