Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Pork Chop I've ever had..........

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Seriously? You eat a plate like that for lunch?  Our holiday dinners don't look that fancy. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Seriously? You eat a plate like that for lunch?  Our holiday dinners don't look that fancy. 
    It was all leftovers. Took under 3 minutes to assemble and nuke. You get to eat better (and wear shorts and flip flops) when you work at home
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Looks better than 99% of my firstimers.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    And here I thought I was stylin' because I ate a sandwich with homemade bread and mayo.  You win. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:
    And here I thought I was stylin' because I ate a sandwich with homemade bread and mayo.  You win. 
    With a knife and fork on a table with a white tablecloth no doubt. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    Sadly,   no.  Ate it standing up,  over the counter,  without a plate.  Not even a paper towel since I was running late. 

I feel like drowning in a bottle of Kraft bbq sauce now. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Seriously, follow @The Cen-Tex Smoker recipe. If you haven't tried this yet, you will truly be amazed. I like to use Carolina Seasoning from The Holland Grill Co. We have used cherry, apple, hickory, and peach wood for smoke flavors - they are all amazing. The mustard and honey make it so easy and crazy good. I have done this with a whole Costco rack of pork many times and it will rival a perfect prime rib beef cook when you put it on the plate.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How did you make the tarragon mustard cream? After years of trying in vain, I finally have a healthy crop of tarragon growing! I'm ready to make that sauce.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    ... and that's the clincher for what we are doing on the egg this weekend.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How did you make the tarragon mustard cream? After years of trying in vain, I finally have a healthy crop of tarragon growing! I'm ready to make that sauce.
    • Mustard Tarragon Sauce
    • · 1 TBSP Butter
    • · 1 TBSP Coarse Grain Dijon Mustard
    • · ½ Cup White Wine
    • · 1 Cup Chicken Broth
    • · ¼ Cup Half and Half
    • · 1tsp fresh Tarragon
    • · Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Place butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
    2. When butter is foamy, add dijon mustard and wine. Reduce by half (approximately ¼ cup).
    3. Add chicken broth, lower heat to medium, and reduce to ½ cup.
    4. Add Half and Half. Reduce until thickened. Add tarragon, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sadly,   no.  Ate it standing up,  over the counter,  without a plate.  Not even a paper towel since I was running late. 

You're a heathen who just poses as a civilized gentleman.  Now I understand.  It's a "methinks thou dost protest too much" sort of thing. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

You're a heathen who just poses as a civilized gentleman.  Now I understand.  It's a "methinks thou dost protest too much" sort of thing. 
    I have standards... most of the time.

And your "methinks" is incorrectly positioned :smiley:

• Foghorn
    Options
    I have a feeling your standards will be put to a test soon.  But as long as Princess @20stone is around you may be able to hang on to some semblance of cultured civility.

San Antonio, TX

• Stormbringer
    Options
    How important is the Tsunami Spin to this? I can get it in the UK but not at a local store, have to order it, and was planning to make it tonight. Are there any common alternatives?

Also, did some reading about Dizzy Pig, they do seem to be very good. Recommendations for other spice mixes that they make? Are the BGE branded ones any good?
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Foghorn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Stormbringer,

Unless the donkey noises have awakened him, Centex is sleeping off a big night of pig butchering and sausage making in a trailer at a pig farm (I'm not making this up.  I was there for as long as my schedule would allow) so I'll take a stab at this.

1) You can't go wrong with any Dizzy Pig rub.

2) You can definitely make a great pork chop without Tsunami Spin, but I'm not sure what to tell you if you want to try to approximate it as a rub.  I suspect you could use whatever you have in your cabinet that you like and add some sesame seeds and end up with a great result.

Hopefully, some with more knowledge about Tusnami Spin will be along and maybe provide you some more specific guidance.

PS.  Sorry about Iceland.

San Antonio, TX

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Stormbringer,

Unless the donkey noises have awakened him, Centex is sleeping off a big night of pig butchering and sausage making in a trailer at a pig farm (I'm not making this up.  I was there for as long as my schedule would allow) so I'll take a stab at this.

1) You can't go wrong with any Dizzy Pig rub.

2) You can definitely make a great pork chop without Tsunami Spin, but I'm not sure what to tell you if you want to try to approximate it as a rub.  I suspect you could use whatever you have in your cabinet that you like and add some sesame seeds and end up with a great result.

Hopefully, some with more knowledge about Tusnami Spin will be along and maybe provide you some more specific guidance.

PS.  Sorry about Iceland.
    Thanks. I had a look at the ingredients for Tsunami Spin, we'll try to make a vague approximation with what we had, inc. the sesame seeds.

• Foghorn
    Options
    @Stormbringer, how did it turn out?

San Antonio, TX

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Stormbringer, how did it turn out?
    It got bumped to Wed night whilst I investigate getting the spice mix sorted. Made a pizza instead.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tsunami spin is great. I also use Oakridge game bird. One of these ripped off the other but they are both great. 

I think the key here is to get some sweetness and some light heat in the rub. Work with what you got. 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Cooked it. Eating it now. Yep ... about the best pork chop we have had.Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cooked it. Eating it now. Yep ... about the best pork chop we have had.Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Might want to share the rub you used so people without access to the ones I suggested can give it a shot.

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it. Might want to share the rub you used so people without access to the ones I suggested can give it a shot.

Will do later, with pics.

• kbr718
    kbr718 Posts: 74
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Made these last night and they were awesome! Thanks for the recipe!
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    That looks great. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If you haven't tried give it a go- I'm pretty critical of my cooks but this one is on the repeat list.  Only variation I made from @The Cen-Tex Smoker was because i forgot the tarragon at the store.  The shallot, mustard, cream sauce really put this one over the top-  go for a heavy char

mine ended up in the fridge drying for about 4 hrs and probably could have used a couple more.

So there is some time flexibility for cooks during the week. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks delicious thanks for sharing!!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    wow! those look incredible. Nice work. Glad you liked them. Shallot Mustard cream sauce sounds pretty damn good to me. I'm with you on the char- I like it a little heavy on these too.