Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Music are you listining to right now

Options

Comments

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Really, I thought it was quite good.  I know there's multi-tracks, over dubbing and all that, but still it was difficult to believe all from one person.  Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt you, but you must be good on a lot of instruments. If I'm not too nosy, is that all actual instrumentation or is some electronically generated?  However you do it, I think it's much better than a lot of the stuff I hear being touted these days.   

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I tried to get into this, but I just don't feel it. She doesn't move me like Marsha Ball or Lou Ann Barton and Angela Strehli.

Maybe if I give it more time it will grow on me.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Guess I'll show my ignorance GregW, I'm not familiar with any of those singers you listed.  However, I will be checking into them.  But I thought the combination of Trucks guitar skills, that great backing band, and Tedeschi's vocals made for a great performance.  Great thing about music, there's no right or wrong, it's all in what you like.  Different strokes. 

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Paul Rogers and Joe Bonamassa.
    Love me some Bo Jonamassa!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Yeah buddy.  Did you see that acoustic concert he did in Vienna?  That was outstanding.

Tommy 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2016
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    msloan said:
    hey guys, I would love your opinions on some original music I have worked on.....I'm a regular stiff working and paying a mortgage, but I love music and I love trying to make music.  If any of you have the time I would appreciate you checking out some of my tunes on my sound cloud page....i've got nothing for sale, not trying to make any money....I just know many of you love music and I'm looking for some honest opinions on some of my stuff!  most of music is straightforward guitar oriented rock music with alot of influences from the 70's, 80's and 90's.  I appreciate it!  hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/masque13
    What's the deal here msloan?  Do you have a band?  Or have you written and performed all this by yourself?  I know little of how music is produced and recorded these days, seems the digital age has changed that considerably.  I've listened to several of your tunes and am impressed.  Really like "My Sweet Marie."  But I'm a little uncertain, seems awfully slick to be some stiff jamming in his garage.   
    Very interesting. I don't have a Soundcloud account yet. I'm going to signup and see If I can listen to your music on my Sono's system.

I really like your music, sounds good even on my computer speakers.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Doobie Brothers.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Drip drip drip of the coffee maker.  Best music in the morning.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    This came on the Lithium XM Channel this morning.  I was driving in downtown Cinci on my way to the office LIKE A BOSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf5uJYGoiU
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Really, I thought it was quite good.  I know there's multi-tracks, over dubbing and all that, but still it was difficult to believe all from one person.  Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt you, but you must be good on a lot of instruments. If I'm not too nosy, is that all actual instrumentation or is some electronically generated?  However you do it, I think it's much better than a lot of the stuff I hear being touted these days.   
     hey thanks again for the kind words!  you're not being too nosey at all asking about it how I do it....I love that somebody actually has an interest in how I did it.  In my studio, I use Pro Tools recording software to allow me to do the multi-tracking.

I play everything you hear on my own, building the track as it goes, other than the drums.  I use a software program that generates drum loops and I have to go through those drum loops and find the beats and rhythms I am searching for to fit my songs and then piece them together, cut and paste, yank and switch until I get a finished drum track.  Once the drum track is where I want it to be I physically play my rhythm guitar parts and then I play the bass, then keyboards if the song calls for it and then I sing it.  at that point, I listen to it alot and decide If I need to add any additional backing tracks or change anything and once I declare the song done, I mix it and master to the final version you hear posted on the soundcloud page.  the only exception to what I am saying above is that on a few songs I let two of my best friends record a few parts on a song here and there.....they occasionally do things for me, because I like to involve them when I can.

of the songs on the soundcloud page, nearly all of them were 100% written by me.....there are a few of them that were co-written with me by the friends that occasionally record with me.

as for what I play, I can play drums, but not really well enough for me to be satisfied with recording what I do.....my space is limited in my studio and not great for recording live drums so that issue coupled with my limited ability on drums makes using the drum software an essential part of my process.

i comfortably play the guitar and bass.  I am a decent keyboard player, but far from being an elton john or billy joel kind of guy. but i play the keys well enough to most times be able to get my parts the way I want them on my song.

I am self taught and I self taught myself on these instruments because it's typically terrible trying to keep a band together and find time to have people record parts of work on your songs, even in the modern age of them being able to do their work in their own home studios and upload their parts to me via the internet.  it has always just made it tons easier to do it all on my own.....that way, if the song has a really cool bass part then the guitar player can't get pissed because he's not highlighted enough in the song.....or if the singer thinks the guitar player is over playing their part I can take care of it without issue because all of it is me......lol....so the only battle I face is dealing with how I want the finished song to sound.

i have spent considerable time over the years trying to learn the trade and art of making professional sounding recordings and it is important to me that my stuff sound good.....and it certainly makes me happy that you noticed that aspect of it.

lastly, the #1 thing you said that makes me the happiest is that you feel what you heard on my page is better than alot of what is touted today.....what a huge compliment and you have no idea how much I appreciate it!  I also thank you for taking the time to listen and comment on this stuff.  it's scary putting it out there.....I am OK with folks not liking it, and I want honest feedback, but regardless of what anyone says, nobody wants to hear that their music sucks or they can't play or sing....so to put it out there and read the things you have said have really made my day!  thanks again!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    GregW said:
    FarmerTom said:
    msloan said:
    hey guys, I would love your opinions on some original music I have worked on.....I'm a regular stiff working and paying a mortgage, but I love music and I love trying to make music.  If any of you have the time I would appreciate you checking out some of my tunes on my sound cloud page....i've got nothing for sale, not trying to make any money....I just know many of you love music and I'm looking for some honest opinions on some of my stuff!  most of music is straightforward guitar oriented rock music with alot of influences from the 70's, 80's and 90's.  I appreciate it!  hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/masque13
    What's the deal here msloan?  Do you have a band?  Or have you written and performed all this by yourself?  I know little of how music is produced and recorded these days, seems the digital age has changed that considerably.  I've listened to several of your tunes and am impressed.  Really like "My Sweet Marie."  But I'm a little uncertain, seems awfully slick to be some stiff jamming in his garage.   
    Very interesting. I don't have a Soundcloud account yet. I'm going to signup and see If I can listen to your music on my Sono's system.

I really like your music, sounds good even on my computer speakers.

hey thanks a bunch!  I appreciate the kind words!  thanks for listening!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Jason Isbell - "Live from Alabama" and "Something More Than Free" OUSTANDING!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• northGAcock
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    YukonRon said:
    Yeah buddy.  Did you see that acoustic concert he did in Vienna?  That was outstanding.
    No but did catch him locally a while back. I agree, his acoustic set is off the charts.

• YEMTrey
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    YukonRon said:
    No but did catch him locally a while back. I agree, his acoustic set is off the charts.
    I've tried, and just can't get into his stuff.  Maybe the acoustic stuff is different.  I'll give it a listen.
    Steve 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Honkytonkitis
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Honkytonkitis
    Lulz.
    Steve 

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I'm currently listening to a song about the North Texas Southern Oklahoma Crystal-Methamphetamine Industry.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @YEMTrey, I'm not a huge BB fan but that was a fun video that I hadn't seen before.

The Man in the Brown Shorts™ just dropped off Kaki King's Glow, she has a unique sound and a stunning visual sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziPD16xCBBg

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'm currently listening to a song about the North Texas Southern Oklahoma Crystal-Methamphetamine Industry.
    James McMurtry?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Acn said:
    James McMurtry?
    Yep. He's great. I try to catch him when he's in NC. Amazing songwriter.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• GATraveller
    Options

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hendrix, doing Dylan.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Johnny Cash. The man
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Hendrix, doing Dylan.
    That's much better than Dylan doing Dylan.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Hendrix, doing Dylan.
    That's much better than Dylan doing Dylan.
    Wait wait wait.............that really hurts. 

• GATraveller
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just another reason why these guys are great!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rW1wuNyDKg

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    the Cult just released its latest album.  Heathens is a pretty awesome track