Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

1407408409410411413»

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,214
    ColbyLang said:
    poster said:
    I want to try some of New Riff's rye which is unavailable to me here in Canada (it is in Canada, but not in my city). Canadian distributors want huge $ to ship. Being close to the US border I can have it shipped to the US side and take a short drive to pick it up. Can anyone recommend a good site in the US to buy from? Google shows tons, but not sure who is reputable and who is not
    Just the standard rye? I’d venture into the Balboa Rye or Malted if you can get either at the same time
    Thanks for the tip, I will see if I can find those. I was thinking just their standard stuff first as I have never tried any of them, but I may as well try a couple. Have heard good things about all their products. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,786
    poster said:
    ColbyLang said:
    poster said:
    I want to try some of New Riff's rye which is unavailable to me here in Canada (it is in Canada, but not in my city). Canadian distributors want huge $ to ship. Being close to the US border I can have it shipped to the US side and take a short drive to pick it up. Can anyone recommend a good site in the US to buy from? Google shows tons, but not sure who is reputable and who is not
    Just the standard rye? I’d venture into the Balboa Rye or Malted if you can get either at the same time
    Thanks for the tip, I will see if I can find those. I was thinking just their standard stuff first as I have never tried any of them, but I may as well try a couple. Have heard good things about all their products. 
    My bourbon group (7 of us) selected a barrel two years ago from the distillery. Probably the best single barrel New Riff I’ve ever tasted. We “donated” all 234 bottles. We also bootlegged it back from KY in the bed of a pickup truck lol as there was zero distribution into Louisiana. The malted rye tastes like a cross between powdered sugar and cotton candy. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,278
    ColbyLang said:
    poster said:
    ColbyLang said:
    poster said:
    My bourbon group (7 of us) selected a barrel two years ago from the distillery. Probably the best single barrel New Riff I’ve ever tasted. We “donated” all 234 bottles. We also bootlegged it back from KY in the bed of a pickup truck lol as there was zero distribution into Louisiana. The malted rye tastes like a cross between powdered sugar and cotton candy. 

I kind of feel like maybe there’s a lot more to this story, lol.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:
    poster said:
    ColbyLang said:
    poster said:

Nah, we fronted the cost of the barrel, bought in for true per bottle cost. A donation to “the human fund” (money for people) got you a bottle at a mere $8 over what we paid. Covered our travel to and from twice by truck. I still have 2 left. I bought 18. Some were gifted, the rest were consumed. My 2 are 2/7 left unopened out of my group of friends 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,706
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    poster said:
    ColbyLang said:
    poster said:

Nah, we fronted the cost of the barrel, bought in for true per bottle cost. A donation to “the human fund” (money for people) got you a bottle at a mere $8 over what we paid. Covered our travel to and from twice by truck. I still have 2 left. I bought 18. Some were gifted, the rest were consumed. My 2 are 2/7 left unopened out of my group of friends 
    That is a great way to fund rise outside the norm. Very forward thinking and supportive for those making it happen. 234 bottles means the angel's share was kind.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,308

"Bottled in Bond" refers to a designation for American spirits, primarily whiskey, that ensures a certain standard of quality and adherence to specific legal requirements. This classification comes from the Bottled in Bond Act of 1897, a law enacted to guarantee the authenticity and quality of spirits at a time when adulteration and mislabeling were common.

To be labeled as "Bottled in Bond," a spirit must meet the following criteria:

1. Distilled in one season: The spirit must be produced in a single distillation season (either January–June or July–December) by one distiller at one distillery.

2. Aged for at least four years: The spirit must be aged in a federally bonded warehouse for a minimum of four years.

3. Bottled at 100 proof (50% ABV): The spirit must be bottled at exactly 100 proof.

4. Produced under U.S. government supervision: The distillation and aging process must take place under the supervision of the U.S. government to ensure compliance with the law.

5. Labeling requirements: The label must state the name of the distillery where the spirit was produced and, if different, where it was bottled.

The "Bottled in Bond" label is seen as a mark of quality and transparency because of these strict requirements.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,597
    Went to Detroit, found Eagle Rare at $89 a bottle. Better than what I paid in Nashville. Lol. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,680

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,214
    Went to Detroit, found Eagle Rare at $89 a bottle. Better than what I paid in Nashville. Lol. 
    Your in Ontario right? LCBO had it this week here for $66CDN. I couldn't believe it, especially up here in the north. Plenty of Blantons and Weller's as well in the mid $70's. Maybe a truck rolled over close by, I don't know.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,784
    Old fashioned 

Interesting bottle, unexpected taste

paqman said:
    Old fashioned 

Interesting bottle, unexpected taste

Are you making your old fashioned with maple syrup instead of simple syrup?  That’s kind of interesting.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,784
    @JohnInCarolina Yes, maple syrup is my usual choice.  I also make them with sugar cubes.  I rarely use simple syrup.

paqman said:
    @JohnInCarolina Yes, maple syrup is my usual choice.  I also make them with sugar cubes.  I rarely use simple syrup.
    I’ll have to try it out.  I have some high quality maple syrup from NH.
  • ColbyLang
    paqman said:
    In all things requiring simple syrup, I use as little as possible. If actual simple syrup is the only option, I may not use any. Huge fan of Bittrrmilk or Sirop De Saizon instead of SS. But only a teaspoon of it per double old fashioned 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,357
    I’m a big fan of Woodford DO, and an even bigger fan of their Double DO - but it can only be bought at the distillery at a certain time of the year. 

Saw this on the shelf at the local and decided to give it a try - will definitely keep this in the rotation:

Please ignore the bare cabinet doors in the background - we are in the middle of a kitchen facelift, new appliances, etc. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • billt01

High Octane Monday…
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,597
    poster said:
    Your in Ontario right? LCBO had it this week here for $66CDN. I couldn't believe it, especially up here in the north. Plenty of Blantons and Weller's as well in the mid $70's. Maybe a truck rolled over close by, I don't know.
    Could you get your hands on it. I'm told when LCBO brings it in, it's gone in a few hours. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • billt01
    CTMike said:
    I’m a big fan of Woodford DO, and an even bigger fan of their Double DO - but it can only be bought at the distillery at a certain time of the year. 

Saw this on the shelf at the local and decided to give it a try - will definitely keep this in the rotation:

Please ignore the bare cabinet doors in the background - we are in the middle of a kitchen facelift, new appliances, etc. 
    your thoughts?
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• CTMike
    billt01 said:
    CTMike said:

your thoughts?
    I’m a fan - it is a lower proof so not a lot of heat - I would say overall it is a solid bourbon - I wouldn’t pay over MSRP.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • billt01

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina

• did somebody say maple syrup. not a bad brown ale from nashville. included the homemade wiggle rods in the pic due to the recent mentions in the @CP92 thread about losing temp
  • JohnInCarolina
    coffee

• ColbyLang

Wild Turkey 8 year, Jimmy Russel’s 70th anniversary bottle. Absolutely delicious 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    Less Sin Tax 
  • ColbyLang
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,706
    ColbyLang said:
    @lousubcap, I found you something to do instead of retirement……

https://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/rare-opportunity-successful-kentucky-distillery-and-social-club-hits-the-auction-block/

that’s Old Carter distillery up for sale 
    Thanks for the alert. Since I don't have @RRP or @SGH $$ I will defer.  However, given the continued industry growth (which I figured would have peaked several years ago) I don't have the skill set as well. 
    The ceased production run in 2023 will mean a gap in the output downstream.  What a time to wrestling with brown water.  
    At least I volunteer two days a week and have been since declaring victory a few years ago.  So there's that.   B)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.