Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    Weigh in after two days, uniform 14% approx weight loss across the board. 

What cut of meat did you use? Let me know how it tastes, but I'm concerned about all that fat. It's okay to have some fat ... but I've never use meat with that much ... I typically use an eye of round which has a half inch fat cap, but the rest of the meat is fairly lean of meat. I cut the steaks so the cap is on one edge. The cut piece is probably 3/4" thick x 3" to 4" wide x 9" to 11" long.  They are pretty square ... all edges are straight ... if you look at your cuts above, the left edges are very rough.  That doesn't mean they won't turn out okay, but that is what I've consistently done and seen (by many others).  I guess in other words ... if this doesn't work out, try again (you can reference my pictures on my biltong page for what my cuts look like pre-drying).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    Weigh in after two days, uniform 14% approx weight loss across the board. 

What cut of meat did you use? Let me know how it tastes, but I'm concerned about all that fat. It's okay to have some fat ... but I've never use meat with that much ... I typically use an eye of round which has a half inch fat cap, but the rest of the meat is fairly lean of meat. I cut the steaks so the cap is on one edge. The cut piece is probably 3/4" thick x 3" to 4" wide x 9" to 11" long.  They are pretty square ... all edges are straight ... if you look at your cuts above, the left edges are very rough.  That doesn't mean they won't turn out okay, but that is what I've consistently done and seen (by many others).  I guess in other words ... if this doesn't work out, try again (you can reference my pictures on my biltong page for what my cuts look like pre-drying).

i could be wrong but i think it was more a cured salt pork with various spice, used in a similar way for flavoring other dishes while cooking? the fat would render in the dish as it cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,036
    Options
    Trying to diagnose a plumbing issue. A few weeks back, my son (guiltily) reported having sent a hard plastic, reusable straw down our main level shower drain. I tried to retrieve it at the time, but saw no sign of it. Today, our basement bathroom sink is backing up with all wastewater coming from the bathroom above. Good times. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,323
    Options
    Trying to diagnose a plumbing issue. A few weeks back, my son (guiltily) reported having sent a hard plastic, reusable straw down our main level shower drain. I tried to retrieve it at the time, but saw no sign of it. Today, our basement bathroom sink is backing up with all wastewater coming from the bathroom above. Good times. 
    I might ask him what he is doing with a straw in the shower. Or maybe it’s better not to know?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,572
    Options
    @fishlessman spot on.
    @Mark_B_Good it's pork belly, planning to steam some this weekend. Fat will melt when cooked with other dishes, when eating as is one can bite off the fat. 
    https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-cured-pork-belly/
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @alaskanassasin @fishlessman

Thanks for the ideas. Recruiting my father to help try some things out tonight. Will try to get a plumber in tomorrow if we don’t have any luck. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I might ask him what he is doing with a straw in the shower. Or maybe it’s better not to know?
    He’s four, so brings all sorts of toys into there. Was actually pretty cute when it happened, because I could see he was genuinely very concerned and I thought it was pretty responsible of him to treat it so seriously, calling me over to tell me. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,323
    Options
    Just finished my taxes. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,356
    Options
    At Safelite getting the windshield replaced on the subie. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    @fishlessman spot on.
    @Mark_B_Good it's pork belly, planning to steam some this weekend. Fat will melt when cooked with other dishes, when eating as is one can bite off the fat. 
    https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-cured-pork-belly/
    Ahhhh, I was wondering!  I was like, I know this guy knows how to do biltong ... what the heck is that?? LOL.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,572
    edited February 8
    Options
    @Mark_B_Good haha, Chinese Lap Yuk cured in South African Biltong box, who would've thunk  :o I had Lap Yuk and Lap Cheong in mind too when I embarked on building the box. Thanks again for you guys' help.
    canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    So my trip to the social security administration was for naught. In the mailbox today...I received their failure!  My head might explode!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,871
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @lousubcap what are your thoughts about Hamilton and Ferrari?
    My totally amateur comments:  Hamilton knows his racing days are numbered. He had a great run with Mercedes but their fortunes have fallen in the past couple of years.  No doubt that there is an allure with Ferrari.  That plus a chance to get championship number eight (He was screwed out of that in 2021) make a compelling case to move on.  
    Of course everyone is still chasing Red Bull and Verstappen.  We will soon see how the teams tweaked things during the break. 
    An article on the dominance of Verstappen last year:

I agree that allure is a big factor.  
    I believe LH has long held an ambition to drive for the prancing horse. And why not?  He is hugely undervalued here in the UK, by the way - very low media profile, while Beckham and his clan are still lapped up.    
    The demise of Mercedes will be an interesting documentary in a few years when staff have trotted out and the truth can be known about the design decisions. 
    The muddle factor for RB is Horner's bullying allegation case. Could go nowhere, could unravel the whole circus. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    Options

No sign of Spring in the air here and gloom sustains for the Palace loyal, with a soul searingly painful defeat to the filthy Seagulls.  England slipping to defeat against India in the cricket was a mere footnote, while the narrowest of victories over Italy in  he rugby did little to lift the spirits. Perhaps this weekend will bring the fun back? 

Saturday

Man City v Everton - whilst the Toffees have strung three draws together this match is different gravy.  Citeh are flying. 3-0

Fulham v Bournemouth - very similar form across their last five and still time for their season to be a relative success or develop in to a nervy conclusion.  Everything screams draw, so 1-1 it is.

Liverpool v Burnley - the Reds will be smarting from their defeat to Arsenal but stay top.  Big Jurgy remains the big story, can he see out his last 15 games to bring the title back to Anfield?  Feels unlikely but it’s the closest race we’ve had for a while with three teams very much in the mix. 3-0

Luton v Sheffield Utd - the probable home win will take the Hatters to a strong 23 points and make the staying up dream that much more credible.  It will also simply heighten the expectation of the Blades inevitable, immediate return to the Championship. 2-0

Spurs v Brighton - inevitably we helped the rotten wretched filthy fetid Seagulls to find their form again last weekend, and so they’ll be bang up for this exhibition of the future of fantastic football (not my words) with those Spursy Spurs. 3-2

Wolves v Brentford  - the hosts can round the final bend of the race against relegation here, a win puts them all but safe - which may seem an odd frame of reference with 15 games left but at least ten teams per season think like this. The Bees are drifting with a solitary win since like forever and their talisman making some difference but not helping them land any points. 2-1

Forest v Newcastle - if Toon are going to surge towards the top six it needs to start now and a win at teetering Forest, whose new manager bounce was a very shallow arc - is the ideal platform.  A less comfortable than it looks 1-3.

Sunday

West Ham v Arsenal - the Hammers’ form has flat-lined while the Gunners’ statement win over Liverpool last week tee’s up the title race just lovely.  Tough, character testing kind of match and 1-2 keeps things tight at the top.

Aston Vila v Man Utd - Villa in fourth have stuttered recently and Utd have strung together some more solid performances, meaning this game could go any way.  2-2

Monday

Palace v Chelsea - being humped by your rivals is bad, capitulating so easily even worse but then subbing on your best players when 3-0 down and seeing them both get injured just about takes the biscuit. Whilst Chelsea have not been great, they have a high quality squad and Palace just don’t. Some say that this fixture has postponed a new managers joining Palace. Who knows but even ‘fear the worst, hope for the best’ feels a long shot right now.  0-2.

Whether you’re skewering or smoking this weekend, do it with a mid-strength beer and cherish the moments. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

No sign of Spring in the air here and gloom sustains for the Palace loyal, with a soul searingly painful defeat to the filthy Seagulls.  England slipping to defeat against India in the cricket was a mere footnote, while the narrowest of victories over Italy in  he rugby did little to lift the spirits. Perhaps this weekend will bring the fun back? 

Saturday

Man City v Everton - whilst the Toffees have strung three draws together this match is different gravy.  Citeh are flying. 3-0

Fulham v Bournemouth - very similar form across their last five and still time for their season to be a relative success or develop in to a nervy conclusion.  Everything screams draw, so 1-1 it is.

Liverpool v Burnley - the Reds will be smarting from their defeat to Arsenal but stay top.  Big Jurgy remains the big story, can he see out his last 15 games to bring the title back to Anfield?  Feels unlikely but it’s the closest race we’ve had for a while with three teams very much in the mix. 3-0

Luton v Sheffield Utd - the probable home win will take the Hatters to a strong 23 points and make the staying up dream that much more credible.  It will also simply heighten the expectation of the Blades inevitable, immediate return to the Championship. 2-0

Spurs v Brighton - inevitably we helped the rotten wretched filthy fetid Seagulls to find their form again last weekend, and so they’ll be bang up for this exhibition of the future of fantastic football (not my words) with those Spursy Spurs. 3-2

Wolves v Brentford  - the hosts can round the final bend of the race against relegation here, a win puts them all but safe - which may seem an odd frame of reference with 15 games left but at least ten teams per season think like this. The Bees are drifting with a solitary win since like forever and their talisman making some difference but not helping them land any points. 2-1

Forest v Newcastle - if Toon are going to surge towards the top six it needs to start now and a win at teetering Forest, whose new manager bounce was a very shallow arc - is the ideal platform.  A less comfortable than it looks 1-3.

Sunday

West Ham v Arsenal - the Hammers’ form has flat-lined while the Gunners’ statement win over Liverpool last week tee’s up the title race just lovely.  Tough, character testing kind of match and 1-2 keeps things tight at the top.

Aston Vila v Man Utd - Villa in fourth have stuttered recently and Utd have strung together some more solid performances, meaning this game could go any way.  2-2

Monday

Palace v Chelsea - being humped by your rivals is bad, capitulating so easily even worse but then subbing on your best players when 3-0 down and seeing them both get injured just about takes the biscuit. Whilst Chelsea have not been great, they have a high quality squad and Palace just don’t. Some say that this fixture has postponed a new managers joining Palace. Who knows but even ‘fear the worst, hope for the best’ feels a long shot right now.  0-2.

Whether you’re skewering or smoking this weekend, do it with a mid-strength beer and cherish the moments. 

Always enjoy your football posts, even if I don’t tend to catch the matches.

But I had a good laugh at your parting line mentioning “mid-strength beer”.  I am just wondering what ABV qualifies as “mid-strength” in your estimation?  

Craft beer in the US has moved over the past decade to double and even triple IPAs, with ABVs north of ten percent.  I have the waistline to prove it.  @Foghorn’s beloved Curieux is just over ten.  

Now of course I also know that the Europeans were on this game many moons ago, and that while Americans are really just discovering these glories, the Belgians in particular have been there and done that.  But then I also recall you mentioning some low-calorie Guinness beer you’d become fond of, and so I am genuinely curious where you fall on the strength preference line.

I know that’s a very long response to your parting shot, but it is Friday, and at least I didn’t say anything about your roof. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,180
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:
    My totally amateur comments:  Hamilton knows his racing days are numbered. He had a great run with Mercedes but their fortunes have fallen in the past couple of years.  No doubt that there is an allure with Ferrari.  That plus a chance to get championship number eight (He was screwed out of that in 2021) make a compelling case to move on.  
    Of course everyone is still chasing Red Bull and Verstappen.  We will soon see how the teams tweaked things during the break. 

I believe LH has long held an ambition to drive for the prancing horse. And why not?  He is hugely undervalued here in the UK, by the way - very low media profile, while Beckham and his clan are still lapped up.    
    The demise of Mercedes will be an interesting documentary in a few years when staff have trotted out and the truth can be known about the design decisions. 
    The muddle factor for RB is Horner's bullying allegation case. Could go nowhere, could unravel the whole circus. 
    RB seems to just keep getting stronger on the track.  If nobody can beat them on the track then it is in FIA’s best interest to nerf them.  The car development penalties FIA have imposed on them haven’t reduced their effectiveness on the track.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:

I hadn't heard about this Horner stuff.  For those who want to spin up:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68244253
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 9
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:

I hadn't heard about this Horner stuff.  For those who want to spin up:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68244253
    This is how they want to nerf RB.  Take out their executives.  This is a hatchet job and rumors are it is about him being a demanding manager.  It is not sexual in nature.

This is a billionaire battle for control and he is the pawn.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Also, in case you didn’t know, here is Horner’s wife.  One of the greatest artists of all time:

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Currently causing panic in the neighborhood with my clean burn. She was a bit greasy and smoking like crazy. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,477
    Options
    Guessing nobody called the fire department...
    I'm sure Vegas is an incredible scene in the run-up to the Super Bowl.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Battleborn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I did not get a visit from the little brothers, a bit surprised. This is the first time I’ve seen the “meat sweats” come from the grill. 

Vegas is an event city. It’s what keeps this place air conditioned. Luckily I live and work far enough away from the action that it doesn’t really affect my daily life. There was a ton of OT available for the weekend, however, I opted to sit this one out. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I did not get a visit from the little brothers, a bit surprised. This is the first time I’ve seen the “meat sweats” come from the grill. 

Vegas is an event city. It’s what keeps this place air conditioned. Luckily I live and work far enough away from the action that it doesn’t really affect my daily life. There was a ton of OT available for the weekend, however, I opted to sit this one out. 
    How did the real sporting event, F1, ultimately shake out?  Ready for next year?
  • Battleborn
    Options
    lousubcap said:

How did the real sporting event, F1, ultimately shake out?  Ready for next year?
    Economically, I’m not sure. These events are always inflated. I would say the quality of life and everyday tourism around it is a failure. The Strip and area around it was a mess with construction for a year prior and will be still until the foreseeable future. It was hard to walk around down there in the weeks leading up to the race and a few weeks after. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Economically, I’m not sure. These events are always inflated. I would say the quality of life and everyday tourism around it is a failure. The Strip and area around it was a mess with construction for a year prior and will be still until the foreseeable future. It was hard to walk around down there in the weeks leading up to the race and a few weeks after. 
    I cannot fathom an event that negatively impacts the strip for weeks being good economically.
  • Battleborn
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I cannot fathom an event that negatively impacts the strip for weeks being good economically.
    I am convinced the Mob is still active and quite lucrative in Vegas. They aren’t involved in casinos anymore, now they own the paving companies that rebuild the roads. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• CPFC1905
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

Always enjoy your football posts, even if I don’t tend to catch the matches.

But I had a good laugh at your parting line mentioning “mid-strength beer”.  I am just wondering what ABV qualifies as “mid-strength” in your estimation?  

Craft beer in the US has moved over the past decade to double and even triple IPAs, with ABVs north of ten percent.  I have the waistline to prove it.  @Foghorn’s beloved Curieux is just over ten.  

Now of course I also know that the Europeans were on this game many moons ago, and that while Americans are really just discovering these glories, the Belgians in particular have been there and done that.  But then I also recall you mentioning some low-calorie Guinness beer you’d become fond of, and so I am genuinely curious where you fall on the strength preference line.

I know that’s a very long response to your parting shot, but it is Friday, and at least I didn’t say anything about your roof. 
    It's a phrase I picked up recently and it made me laugh as it perfectly describes vague beige area between 'meeting go' and 'but I have to be up early in the morning, so you know...'

To the matters at hand,
    yes - those crazy Belgies have been bang at it for years with their mad double digit % beers.  I suspect it's a ruse to drain foolish youths of their cash whilst 'on tour'.    I find those invariably syrupy, but perhaps I'm a a Philistine after all?  
    Over here the traditional bench mark for 'strong' is 5%, amongst mainstream beers. That's where Stella Artois sits, and that is the reference beer for booze fuelled bozos. I like it, but then again I do prefer a handful of 3.5% beers when I have a thirst on. 
    0% Guiness is a revelation, the calorie count is slightly lower - but it's Guiness, so it's like four rather than 5 sugars in your coffee.
    I am now full abroad the 0% beer bus, on school nights.  I like a cold beer and I am unkeen on drinking every night because it makes me miserable. 

Also,  yours is not a long response - I refer you to my post you replied to.  👍