Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,546
    @Canugghead - air drying history be da-ned.  Finishing those in 25 minutes even at 375*F is wicked quick.  But that skin looks great.  Need to move beyond the 24 hour air dry process as you demonstrated. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    @lousubcap it wasn't by design, just got too busy with chores. Thinking of trying 48 hours next time if I can plan that far ahead. Love the baby Traeger, comes to temp in about five minutes and sips on pellets.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,800
    @paqman - thanks for the intel.

I discovered toasted sesame oil some time last year, and love the stuff. Its somewhat hard to find here too, so will definitely stock up if I find it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    paqman said:
    Just wings

There is no such thing as “just” wings. They look awesome though  ;)
  • lousubcap
    Great photo @Canugghead- exceptional crust and fork placement for the win!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Thanks @lousubcap, going straight from fridge to grill allowed long sear for the crust. One of these days I'll show you forks meant for kebab if that's your thing  ;)
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Forks are not my thing but there was (is?) a forum member who was hard-over about no forks in a photo.  Not worth the effort to recall but @BuckeyeFork could have been a player.  B)
  • BuckeyeFork
    BuckeyeFork Posts: 191
    It was that FIFO TheBuckeye (nod) that was unreasonably concerned by forks.  I suspect his result on the food sanitation test that just went around would be very entertaining.
  • Canugghead
    @lousubcap that looks insanely good, the closest to caveman I've done is a thin steak on heated CI pan in pizza oven. Beautiful photography to boot.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    edited May 2023
    @Canugghead - The proverbial 1/2" (1.27 cm) thick steak that gets beaten about around here is the perfect candidate for the pure caveman cook.  Just a few flips to hit the target finish temp and you are there.  The biggest trick is hitting the finish temp so you need a fast reacting thermo and no arm hair...
    For anything much thicker the reverse sear method and caveman finish enables you to slowly reach your target finish temp (reverse sear) and then use the lava for the crust only.  FWIW-
    Edit for the cm conversion.
  • caliking
    Good grief @lousubcap

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,772
    Acn said:

Shrimp and brown butter pasta, with a piece of garlic bread.

I really like that plate.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• lousubcap
    @caliking - always a gourmet tour when you are being creative.  Looks and sounds great. 
  • caliking
    lousubcap said:
    @caliking - always a gourmet tour when you are being creative.  Looks and sounds great. 
    These were all leftovers from earlier cooks,  put together on one plate. The hoppers were made from repurposed  dosa batter of 2021 and 2022 vintage :)

• Canugghead
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    These were all leftovers from earlier cooks,  put together on one plate. The hoppers were made from repurposed  dosa batter of 2021 and 2022 vintage :)
    You sure that isn't a pouch of vintage coconut chutney hiding somewhere?
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    You sure that isn't a pouch of vintage coconut chutney hiding somewhere?
     That's the one thing that was made fresh (not pictured) :) caliqueen usually makes a peanut coconut chutney for dosa nights. 

You may be interested in this - I cooked a portion of the batter with added water to make a paste, and added back to the batter. Similar to tangzhong or yudane, but also done for appam or idli type of South Indian things. The hoppers (appams in India) were super soft, with crispy edges. And were delicious with the pork!

• Canugghead
    @caliking thanks, passed the intel to swmbo since Indian food is not my forte  :)
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Now that is a fun dining evening right there. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    edited May 2023
    Wrong thread.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Canugghead
    lousubcap said:
    Now that is a fun dining evening right there. 
    Forgot to mention, it's all you can grill plus Indian and Chinese buffet stations. There's also a flag on a stand next to the grill, when you're done grilling just knock the flag down, as in 'I surrender', and the waiter would take the grill away  =)
    canuckland