Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Hot Dog Sausage Brand

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
What’s your favorite hot dog sausage brand?

I recently discovered the Hofmann brand while travelling to Syracuse and I think that’s my new favourite.  I’m curious about your preference.

I’m pretty sure they would be even better with MSG!

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    ^^I totally agree, I have a pack in my fridge, I steam them in a colander, then have in a good bun with whole grain mustard😋😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    H‑E‑B down here makes darn good ones.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    1/4 pound pearls
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Johnsonville brats are my standard.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hebrews or Nathans are as fahncy as I can find locally, don't have a preference.  

A new hot dog place opened at the base of the hill where I live (walking distance) called J Dawgs.  I gave them a few weeks to go thru the new place growing pains, and gave them a try.  
    Choice of two franks, beef or polish.  Choice of six (six!) condiments (but no chili, nor cheese).  Fries.  Fountain drinks (no iced tea).  That's it.  I won't be back, and give them 4 months.  :angry:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Either, Beans or Rices—-Red Snappers, red natural casing hotdogs made in Maine.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Either, Beans or Rices—-Red Snappers, red natural casing hotdogs made in Maine.
    I can't do those reds😁
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Legume said:
    1988 Dodger Dog, wrapped in foil, sitting in the fridge.

- @lkapigian
    Lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Kayem beef franks. The linked kind from the deli, not the packaged crap. Great snap from the casings when you take a bite! 
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    I usually just do the Costco all beef hot dog. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Over the years I have tried many brands of natural casing franks. Finally 8 years ago I stumbled on Wimmer's brand and I have never purchased any other brand since! They ARE terrific!!!
    https://www.wimmersmeats.com/
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron this hotdog thread got me to thinking. Years ago I worked in Illinois when they built the Prairie State powerhouse. Not to far down the road in the town (if memory serves) of either Lively Gove or Oakdale was a family owned meat market named Wallers. The old man raised his own beef on the family farm. The place was a big step back in time to how things use to be. Long story short he made hotdog weenies there on a chain. They were honestly some of the best hotdogs I ever ate. Just curious you being from Illinois have you ever tried the weenies from Wallers? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron this hotdog thread got me to thinking. Years ago I worked in Illinois when they built the Prairie State powerhouse. Not to far down the road in the town (if memory serves) of either Lively Gove or Oakdale was a family owned meat market named Wallers. The old man raised his own beef on the family farm. The place was a big step back in time to how things use to be. Long story short he made hotdog weenies there on a chain. They were honestly some of the best hotdogs I ever ate. Just curious you being from Illinois have you ever tried the weenies from Wallers? 
    Here's a link - but would be quite a drive for me to make for some dogs!
    https://www.loc8nearme.com/illinois/oakdale/wallers-market/2394609/
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Take the Vette, Ron.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    I’ve never had fresh tube steak.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    Here's a link - but would be quite a drive for me to make for some dogs!
    https://www.loc8nearme.com/illinois/oakdale/wallers-market/2394609/
    Ron I wasn’t sure how close you was. I just knew you was in Illinois. Thought I would ask though. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Legume said:
    Take the Vette, Ron.
    Or even better, the private jet 🛩️ 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    Legume said:
    Take the Vette, Ron.
    Or even better, the private jet 🛩️ 
    Sold the jet…too slow! Bought a rocket which is still in the body shop getting a custom paint job. Then off to the sign shop for R R P in big letters so you will see me coming, Scottie!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options

Jacksonville FL
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    RRP said:
    Over the years I have tried many brands of natural casing franks. Finally 8 years ago I stumbled on Wimmer's brand and I have never purchased any other brand since! They ARE terrific!!!
    Totally agree!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    Options
    I’ve never had fresh tube steak.
    No?  You’re missing out.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    Kayem natural casing beef and pork for me.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    Hebrew nationals are excellent 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I work for the company that makes about 90% of all of the hot dog processing chains used in this country.  Hot dogs are interesting in that the process involves cooking at low temperatures to maintain the water that is present, and then flash freezing them in brine in order to stop the cooking process and to make the packaging work.

That hot to cold, salt-water-below-freezing exposure is very hard on chains.  Things expand and shrink at different rates and cause chain to come apart.

Anyway, I have seen them all.  Most brands of commercially available are made by one of the "big guys" like Oscar, Bar-S, Hillshire, Ball-Park, etc.  Almost all of the smaller brands are made in the same factories.  Just different recipes.

After seeing how the sausage is literally made, I only buy/eat one store-bought hot dog.  Costco Dinner Frank, all-beef.  Unless it is an independent butcher shop, I stick with them. 

Dedicated equipment, high quality ingredients, and good process control.  Excellent sanitation.

Thank me later.
    You don’t wanna know how the hotdogs are made!!!!! Lol, thanks for the tip
  • fishlessman
    Options
    gelatine is made from the stuff that does not make the cut for hotdogs.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I work for the company that makes about 90% of all of the hot dog processing chains used in this country.  Hot dogs are interesting in that the process involves cooking at low temperatures to maintain the water that is present, and then flash freezing them in brine in order to stop the cooking process and to make the packaging work.

That hot to cold, salt-water-below-freezing exposure is very hard on chains.  Things expand and shrink at different rates and cause chain to come apart.

Anyway, I have seen them all.  Most brands of commercially available are made by one of the "big guys" like Oscar, Bar-S, Hillshire, Ball-Park, etc.  Almost all of the smaller brands are made in the same factories.  Just different recipes.

After seeing how the sausage is literally made, I only buy/eat one store-bought hot dog.  Costco Dinner Frank, all-beef.  Unless it is an independent butcher shop, I stick with them. 

Dedicated equipment, high quality ingredients, and good process control.  Excellent sanitation.

Thank me later.

tyson destroyed most of the new england brands buying them out, changing the recipes, quality, plant etc.  essem and jordans are no longer the same hot dog they once were.  still have kayem and pearls though kayems are very mild. pearls stayed small and put out good quality
    fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    RRP said:

@RRP - The Wimmer's umbrella has the Fairbury brand under it.  If available in your area give the Tomboy's a try.  They were at their best when produced by a independent company in Fairbury, NE.  Still decent after production was relocated due to being acquired by other companies.
    My all time fav is Wahoo Weiners.  Some people claim the main reason Letterman headquartered The Late Show in Wahoo for many years was this butcher shop... https://wahoolocker.com/

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, but our marketplace is dominated by the big chain stores. I found the Wimmers by accident at a grocery store headquartered in Iowa. For a couple years I made an 80 mile trip to stock up on them.