Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 355
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Simple pork chops. Dry brined for 24hrs and onto the small at 400. Turned out well.

These look yummy
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    @Wooderson Thanks, they weren’t bad

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    @Wooderson Thanks, they weren’t bad
    Let’s put it another way. “ they weren’t bad” costs 75.00 +, at anywhere even remotely decent. Personally, if they aren’t dry as shoe leather (appears not), it’s a M-F win and 60 still in the wallet. All told, does not suck. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    ^^^well deserved fine china.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Crawfish and anything else for the win @TideEggHead.  Great cook right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Agreed, thanks cap!
    LBGE
    AL
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @poster Great shot right there.  How was the socarrat? 
    Related- @SciAggie - offered up a great way to nail the finish-fork tines scraped across the bottom of the pan.  Assess the resistance relative to the socarrat feel and when right, declare victory.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’m not generally a dessert guy, but I made mention of a hankering for something sweet and she delivered. Microwave brownie with vanilla ice cream. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    We had some crawfish left over from the crawfish boil a few weeks ago so I saved the tails. Made some crawfish fettuccine for dinner tonight!

Question: Are you able to buy 'bug tails pre-shelled, or did you shell those yourself after the boil?  
    I bought a 2-lb bag of crawdads at the Commissary last year, but they were pre-boiled and still whole; by the time I'd cleaned them it was a meager single meal for one.... 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Double smash burgers outside. 
    For the love....
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @poster Great shot right there.  How was the socarrat? 
    Related- @SciAggie - offered up a great way to nail the finish-fork tines scraped across the bottom of the pan.  Assess the resistance relative to the socarrat feel and when right, declare victory.
    It was present, but had to scrape the pan. Not sure if it would have released with a bit more time, or I didn't have enough oil in the bottom when sautéing the tomatoes. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @poster- The key is that when there with the socarrat it does not release.  It is the light crunchy and resistance feel as you pull the tines thru the rice.  Sounds like you were there given the scraping action.
    The trick is to catch that feel before the rice burns and really sticks to the pan.
    Oh, if it were easy-like nailing a brisket finish...
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Botch said:
    We had some crawfish left over from the crawfish boil a few weeks ago so I saved the tails. Made some crawfish fettuccine for dinner tonight!

Question: Are you able to buy 'bug tails pre-shelled, or did you shell those yourself after the boil?  
    I bought a 2-lb bag of crawdads at the Commissary last year, but they were pre-boiled and still whole; by the time I'd cleaned them it was a meager single meal for one.... 
    @Botch Yea you can buy packs of just tail meat, which would be A LOT easier than peeling your self. The ones I’ve seen are vacuum sealed. I filled up maybe 1/3 of a gallon ziplock with the meat I peeled, and that probably took me about 20 minutes or so. And yea 2lbs of whole crawfish don’t go a long way. I believe they suggest about 5lbs for an average person but that’s also with corn, sausage, etc.
    LBGE
    AL
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Botch said:

@Botch Yea you can buy packs of just tail meat, which would be A LOT easier than peeling your self. The ones I’ve seen are vacuum sealed. I filled up maybe 1/3 of a gallon ziplock with the meat I peeled, and that probably took me about 20 minutes or so. And yea 2lbs of whole crawfish don’t go a long way. I believe they suggest about 5lbs for an average person but that’s also with corn, sausage, etc.
    Worse than that. 7.5-8# crawfish to yield 1# of tailmeat
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Yep- HEB continues to deliver when in the correct hands.  Outstanding cook right there @caliking.  Sweet crust!