Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket Knives For Big Green Egg Cooks

I was kind of hoping that the Buffalo would have reinstated the original pocket knife thread.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1231338/pocket-knives-edc-collection/p1

Which got me thinking.....why? I did a little research myself and hopefully this helps please the Buffalo....

I found this pocket knife on the official Big Green Egg website. It says, "Cooking on the egg" in the description. 

So I'm hoping this thread can stick around since they are a tool used for cooking on the BGE. 

What pocket knives do you own and use? For cooking that is.....
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I forgot a knife from my other pocket knife post. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

• I have really large pockets.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Over in the sunk thread I posted a pic (initially said I wouldn't) of the above Victorinox pocket knife I have had for over 40 years.  Red not green and has only been called into Q related service to assist with opening bags of charcoal.
    Well played @WeberWho.  
    I'm so deep into the purchase of a new knife that I will have to be extremely mindful of visiting this thread in the future.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @WeberWho do you like that knife?  I ordered one yesterday, was a flash deal for like $35

It was a Christmas gift. So I've only owned it now a month or so. I'm pretty picky when it comes to what I want in a pocket knife. I like small pocket knives. This one is pretty big compared to the other knives I own. I like the looks of the carbon fiber scales but I'd probably stay away from them in future knife purchases. Too smooth and slippery for my liking. Hard to hate the price. Lots of good reviews on it. It should be a nice knife for you. 

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    Ahhh, well it was an impulse buy. 

These are the ones I could find:  (sorry some are filthy - they get plenty of use)

Ahhh, well it was an impulse buy. 

These are the ones I could find:  (sorry some are filthy - they get plenty of use)

GEEEZ!!! YOU. my friend, either have a really tight belt...OR bigger "britches" then what I wear!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    I have extra pockets sewn into all my pants, so just need extra arms like Shiva and I could be super stabby.
    I currently carry a Sheeps foot.  I like that blade shape and durability.

That CJRB looks pretty cool, and I really like carbon fiber scales too.  I don't personally find them to slippery for the type of work I use them for.  May be due to my dry environment, don't have to deal with water or sweat.  Everything evaporates super fast.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have extra pockets sewn into all my pants, so just need extra arms like Shiva and I could be super stabby.
    I know you live in NO so I imagine your reputation as "that dude" with 300 pounds of wicked blades is NOT someone to mess with!!

(BUT...don't you think that carrying a Glock INSTEAD would lighten your load when you go out?)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    @paqman show us your axe used for cutting pizza cooked in the BGE  ;)
    canuckland
  • was checking the forum after getting into bed and saw this thread. This is how I protect my family, always on my nightstand. It’s lethal. Kidding aside, it’s the knife I carry with me all the time. 

• nolaegghead

RRP said:
    I know you live in NO so I imagine your reputation as "that dude" with 300 pounds of wicked blades is NOT someone to mess with!!

(BUT...don't you think that carrying a Glock INSTEAD would lighten your load when you go out?)
    I carry a knife every day (just one at a time), but not for protection, but to cut non-living things into smaller pieces. 

Not a fan of carrying a gun.  Raises your liability and statistically increases the odds of getting shot.

Every now and then when I have to go to a rough neighborhood for a craigslist or marketplace transaction, I'll throw one in the car or truck, but that's a rare occasion.

Ok I’ll play…again.   I carry one of the Bugouts daily.   Not shown but in bags or tucked away are a Spyderco salt (in my fishing gear), Spyderco Rescue (in a truck box), Benchmade mini Griptilian (it’s somewhere in the garage).   

I also have multiple Leatherman multi tools both large and small tucked away in packs or truck boxes.  

I have sliced plenty of sausage links with most of those in the pic. 
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    hmmm i just posted to it but I notice it wont go to the top on recent.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1231338/pocket-knives-edc-collection/p3
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • WeberWho
    xfire_ATX said:
    hmmm i just posted to it but I notice it wont go to the top on recent.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1231338/pocket-knives-edc-collection/p3
    I liked your post. Unfortunately the other pocket knife thread was dumped by the buffalo. I'm really hoping this one sticks around for everyone to share. 

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Let’s see if it floats?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    No cpr needed. Post and it floats up instead of sinking.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Looks like spyderco has an outlet store at their plant, only 20 miles away.  I think I need to drop in.  Free sharpening while you wait too.
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2023
    Legume said:
    Looks like spyderco has an outlet store at their plant, only 20 miles away.  I think I need to drop in.  Free sharpening while you wait too.
    Jealous 

Minnesota
  • Man I didn’t even think about that when I was there last summer @Legume
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @gulfcoastguy

Had a friend from long ago who also came across a bad accident scene and used a pocket knife to cut seatbelts. One of my main reasons for having mine with me, when I think to carry it. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Having worked my career in road construction, I saw plenty of wrecks, a couple of which caught on fire. I started carrying these in case I need to cut seatbelts. I also have a hatchet behind the front seat in case I need to break glass. Any how it’s a Spyderco with the never rust steel. I have a smaller one with a yellow handle also.
    I have the same one but in safety orange.   Great knife
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

• I have a MiniMax on my golf cart
    Florida

• nolaegghead
    This one is in the mail.  Never had an OTF knife before

• Medium BGE
    Somewhere in NC