Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944

Beautiful & round too.  I would kill that entire pie.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Veggie & Fruit Soup

Could you share deets? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2022
    caliking said:
    Veggie & Fruit Soup

Could you share deets? 
    Super simple ... Fruit name is a joke because the tomatoes, peas, and corn are technically fruits.

I get a chuck roast or whatever similar meat they have on sale.  I cube it in 3/4" cubes and brown it in same nuetral oil.  Get a good crust on the meat.  Then I remove the meat and soften some diced white onions in the rendered fats and get all the fond off.  Once the onions are right I add in chicken stock and all the veggies.

Tomatoes, corn, peas, carrots, butter beans, and green beans.  Bring to a boil, then cool it down to a light simmer.  Once it has cooled down, I add in the meat (and all drippings) and diced potatoes.  You can use waxy potatoes or starchy potatoes depending on preference.  We use starchy because they will thicken up the soup a bit.  Then cook all day.  Add garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.  This one had a bone in chuck, so I rendered out the bone marrow and fats by putting that all in during the first part of the cook.  I removed it before ot got scummy.

It is a super simple recipe, but it eats good all week.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Veggie & Fruit Soup

Could you share deets? 
    Super simple ... Fruit name is a joke because the tomatoes, peas, and corn are technically fruits.

I get a chuck roast or whatever similar meat they have on sale.  I cube it in 3/4" cubes and brown it in same nuetral oil.  Get a good crust on the meat.  Then I remove the meat and soften some diced white onions in the rendered fats and get all the fond off.  Once the onions are right I add in chicken stock and all the veggies.

Tomatoes, corn, peas, carrots, butter beans, and green beans.  Bring to a boil, then cool it down to a light simmer.  Once it has cooled down, I add in the meat (and all drippings) and diced potatoes.  You can use waxy potatoes or starchy potatoes depending on preference.  We use starchy because they will thicken up the soup a bit.  Then cook all day.  Add garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.  This one had a bone in chuck, so I rendered out the bone marrow and fats by putting that all in during the first part of the cook.  I removed it before ot got scummy.

It is a super simple recipe, but it eats good all week.

Aha! This is how I will sell it to my MIL who won't eat  meats other than chicken, fish, shrimp, goat.

Thanks. Now if we could only get some soup weather...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    dmchicago said:
    Stuffed and fried poblano peppers. 

Chili Rellenos are my favorite!  That looks amazing.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited December 2022
    dmchicago said:
    Stuffed and fried poblano peppers. 

Chili Rellenos are my favorite!  That looks 
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/241857442475668556/
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Gave the interwebz sensation of butterfly chicken legs a whirl. I cannot recommend this enough. Much easier than lollipops and eats very well. I was very surprised at how well they turned out moist and delicious and just way better eating experience. 

Never heard of her. So share the details please! Those look good!
  • @dmchicago
    those look amazing! recipe please! My wife and I love those.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Gave the interwebz sensation of butterfly chicken legs a whirl. I cannot recommend this enough. Much easier than lollipops and eats very well. I was very surprised at how well they turned out moist and delicious and just way better eating experience. 

Never heard of her. So share the details please! Those look good!
    Just carefully cut lengthwise on the bone then along side of it a bit on each side to splay the meat out. It doesn’t show up real good in that picture but the bottom side will show bare bone. Gives a bit more surface area to season and they eat much better than regular legs imo. I didn’t take a bunch of time removing tendons but did cut off ones that presented themselves. I did these at 275 for about an hour and then bumped to 350 for 15-20 minutes I believe. I will do it this way from now on most likely. Big fan. You never know about the stuff you see on YouTube or tik tok etc.., but this one is a winner. 
  • caliking
    Acn said:

Perfectly done. 

• One of the best uses of leftover steak.  This rivals the late night PBJ for best sandwich in my opinion.   

what's all on the sandwich?
  • @JohnfromKentucky, it’s just toast, Duke’s Mayo, and thinly sliced leftover upper-prime NY strip.  That’s it.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    No pics.  Today I wanted to clear some things out of the frig/freezer, so I made this up.

Sautèed some garlic and onion, added and browned a lb of ground turkey.
    When almost cooked, added cans of fire-roasted ‘maters and cheekun broth.
    Added 5~6 roasted Hatch chilies, cumin, mex oregano, salt & black pepper.
    Simmered 45 minutes, then stirred in 1.5 cups cooked rice.  Added a bit of salt and water.  

It was pretty close to my green Chile stew, except substituting rice for potatoes and turkey for pork.  And it may be the best thing I’ve cooked this year; the rice (Calrose) really transformed the dish.   Have enough left for 2, maybe 3 more meals, so it’s economical too.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @Acn We do a lot of pasta and the instantapot. So fast and easy clean up. instantapot mac and cheese is as easy as it gets. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx