Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Back to Four Roses single barrel.  Need Tech over Georgetown.  

Wreck ‘em
    Just one of the most underrated pours in all of the bourbon world IMO. Enjoy!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    MasterC said:
    Mrs.C just got home from shopping and handed me this.
    I'll try it this evening.
    Nice - but this is suspicious, you need to see what she brought home for her. This looks like cover.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    She's a keeper.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • pgprescott
    MasterC said:
    Mrs.C just got home from shopping and handed me this.
    I'll try it this evening.
    Another solid offering from a heritage brand. Great value and very good juice.  Enjoy!

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    @JohnInCarolina

you seem to get some great beers there.   I used to be all in on those but gave up on carbs so I abstain from those delicacies nowadays.   

Looks awesome though, as do your other pours.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • @JohnInCarolina

you seem to get some great beers there.   I used to be all in on those but gave up on carbs so I abstain from those delicacies nowadays.   

Thank you.  We do get great beers around here, but this one was shipped in from Other Half in Brooklyn.   It was pretty good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    @JohnInCarolina

Thank you.  We do get great beers around here, but this one was shipped in from Other Half in Brooklyn.   It was pretty good!

there beers are a rare find around here and usually once and gone with another version a month later. their website shows 1158 different beers, how did you pick one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • @JohnInCarolina

there beers are a rare find around here and usually once and gone with another version a month later. their website shows 1158 different beers, how did you pick one
    Fish, in life… you have choices.  And you have to trust that the ones you make are the right ones at the time, because they probably are.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • We gave it our best…. Now fellas let’s get back to football 🏈
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    @JohnInCarolina

Fish, in life… you have choices.  And you have to trust that the ones you make are the right ones at the time, because they probably are.
    I would have to check them off one at a time, choices be damned, what if I missed the best one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    Mrs.C brought me home some Knob Creek 9 yr old and it was pretty good. So today I saw this and decided to  try it. 

This was really good, like drinking a warm hug. Now excuse me while I go and snuggle up with another pour or two
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • TechsasJim
    Going back to this for a nip.  

• pgprescott
    MasterC said:
    Mrs.C brought me home some Knob Creek 9 yr old and it was pretty good. So today I saw this and decided to  try it. 

This was really good, like drinking a warm hug. Now excuse me while I go and snuggle up with another pour or two
    Good stuff. This bottle and the 12yo are pretty
    much a buy when you see them. Great to sip and enough proof to hold up in any cocktail. You’ll probably notice the increase in octane. Enjoy! 
  • MasterC said:

Store picks can be special bottles that are better than the regular distributions. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • MasterC said:

Store picks can be special bottles that are better than the regular distributions. 
    All the store pics that I have seen are usually the same bottle but with the store's sticker on them. Just means the owner went to the distillery and hand picked a barrel.

• cracking this open tonight
  • pgprescott
    MasterC said:

All the store pics that I have seen are usually the same bottle but with the store's sticker on them. Just means the owner went to the distillery and hand picked a barrel.
    By “special bottle”, I believe he means the whiskey is special because like you explained, someone took the extra time to identify the best available tasting whiskey. Obviously this is somewhat subjective, but it is excepted as likely true. I don’t believe he means the physical bottle but rather the “bottle” meaning the whiskey itself. 😁
  • pgprescott

cracking this open tonight
    That’s a winner. I was never a huge fan of Bulleit stuff but lately that’s changed a bit. this bottle and the barrel strength are delicious IMO. Enjoy. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    MasterC said:

By “special bottle”, I believe he means the whiskey is special because like you explained, someone took the extra time to identify the best available tasting whiskey. Obviously this is somewhat subjective, but it is excepted as likely true. I don’t believe he means the physical bottle but rather the “bottle” meaning the whiskey itself. 😁
    I will also add that they are essentially single barrel variations. So they will taste different than the small batch bottles. Now, whether they taste better…that’s the opinion of the drinker. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TechsasJim
    I had some of this yesterday.  Super smooth.   No actual pics as it came out of a friend’s flask.   

• pgprescott
    I had some of this yesterday.  Super smooth.   No actual pics as it came out of a friend’s flask.   

Are you sure it was that particular one? That is 2-4 yo bourbon. It is fairly low proof which can give a tasting note of smooth but it’s rare to taste an exceptional 2-4 yo. Not unheard of , but rare. You can generally taste the youth on a bourbon. Easy test is inexpensive Jim beam white vs Jim beam black. Night and day difference.  They (horse soldier) have two others that are older bourbon that are fairly well thought of. I have the barrel strength one and it’s good. They have one at 97 proof that is supposed to be quite nice. I wonder if that’s the one you had? 
  • TechsasJim
    @pgprescott

You are right.   He just said it was Horse Soldier.   Now that I think of it he did say he paid about $65 so it’s got to be another variety as this pic is just $47.  

Good catch!    
  • pgprescott
    @pgprescott

You are right.   He just said it was Horse Soldier.   Now that I think of it he did say he paid about $65 so it’s got to be another variety as this pic is just $47.  

Good catch!    
    I just know the other two are highly regarded. The one at 97 proof that I don’t have is fairly well awarded. I think my buddy had that one. I’ll give her a taste. 👍🏻
  • I had some of this yesterday.  Super smooth.   No actual pics as it came out of a friend’s flask.   

Haven't tried them yet. Good thing is they are moving to Kentucky. :)

• pgprescott
    Picked up a couple store picks myself today. One knob creek rye and one Old Elk wheater. Both running @ 112 proof. Guy hit me with samples and I bit. Bought three of the Ryes At $38/ for gifts. Great value for that juice. Looking forward to the Elk. The sample was pretty darn good. 
  • TechsasJim
    Picked up a couple store picks myself today. One knob creek rye and one Old Elk wheater. Both running @ 112 proof. Guy hit me with samples and I bit. Bought three of the Ryes At $38/ for gifts. Great value for that juice. Looking forward to the Elk. The sample was pretty darn good. 
    You’re lucky, we can’t buy anything other than beer/wine here in TX on Sundays.    Nice grabs!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    edited December 2022
    Going back to this for a nip.  

That bottle is cool. I wish I could find it around here. I have to keep an eye out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .