Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chamber sealers.

Looking at the VP-220. For anyone with chamber sealer experience is the 
  • Chamber size (W x L x H): 12.5″ x 15.25″ x 5″

Big or big enough? I have a hard time visualizing those dimensions. It seems like everything I vacuum seal has some liquid that screws me up.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    @nolaegghead … I need an want one, but I get past the moisture issue by par freezing “ wet stuff” 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    @nolaegghead … I need an want one, but I get past the moisture issue by par freezing “ wet stuff” 
    I know he has one maybe I’ll call him on my drive home… but I’m sure he won’t try and talk me out if it, you don’t call Nola to get talked out of buying something.  I have park froze but I also like to finish something and move on.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @Canugghead might have one too… live without it or best purchase ever?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Have a chamber sealer (one Nola recommended) and it’s great.  The ability to vac seal liquids easily is a game changer for sure.

Only downside is that it’s pretty large and heavy.  You need a dedicated spot for the thing.  They’re not easy to move around.  

I think I saw that Anova (?) may have just put one out.  Probably worth checking out.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Have a chamber sealer (one Nola recommended) and it’s great.  The ability to vac seal liquids easily is a game changer for sure.

Only downside is that it’s pretty large and heavy.  You need a dedicated spot for the thing.  They’re not easy to move around.  

I think I saw that Anova (?) may have just put one out.  Probably worth checking out.
    Had to look, dirt cheap at under 300, did not see dimensions 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    lkapigian said:
    Have a chamber sealer (one Nola recommended) and it’s great.  The ability to vac seal liquids easily is a game changer for sure.

Had to look, dirt cheap at under 300, did not see dimensions 
    $244 right now

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looking at the VP-220. For anyone with chamber sealer experience is the 
    • Chamber size (W x L x H): 12.5″ x 15.25″ x 5″

Big or big enough? I have a hard time visualizing those dimensions. It seems like everything I vacuum seal has some liquid that screws me up.

My understanding is that you shouldn't have that issue with a chamber sealer, but its common with Foodsaver type vac sealers.

@Canugghead has one, and will hopefully chime in.

And, don't seal up hot liquids in a chamber sealer. Because... physics. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Taking one for the team.  Ordered an Anova Chamber Sealer. $244 is less than groceries today, figured I would try it out.

Will let you all know what I think.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • I watched that whole thing unfold @Ozzie_Isaac two posts back I said “wait for it…”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Taking one for the team.  Ordered an Anova Chamber Sealer. $244 is less than groceries today, figured I would try it out.

We’re you able to find any info on max bag size it will take? Only one size bag on their web site but they still don’t tell you the size.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I've got an Avid Armor USV20 which is the cousin of the Anova chamber vac. They are essentially the same vac but the Anova has their controls in a different location. I've had mine for a year or so and haven't had any problems.
    It's a great little unit. Very lightweight.
    The Anova sale price is a helluva deal.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• @nolaegghead wants me to get a freeze dryer… but absolutely endorsed the chamber sealer.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Photo Egg said:

We’re you able to find any info on max bag size it will take? Only one size bag on their web site but they still don’t tell you the size.
    As near as I can tell 11.5" x 10", but thatbis based on comparisons to the Avid Armor V20, which as @Heavy said look like cousins.  There isn't much technical info on the Anova.  They keep pointing you to their $$$ bags.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I thought hard about the Anova one for the price. My problem is place to put it. 
  • ColbyLang
    Oh, and they be outta the expensive bags
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    Oh, and they be outta the expensive bags
    I bought 250 bags (Avid Armor brand) off Amazon for $25.  Still a bit steep, but way better than the Anova priced bags.  Hopefully they work.  Internets say they will.
  • Photo Egg
    I watched that whole thing unfold @Ozzie_Isaac two posts back I said “wait for it…”
    This is like the worst AA group ever.
    At times it seems worse than a pyramid scam… 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited November 2022
    will share my .4 nickle later
    canuckland
  • lkapigian said:
    I know he has one maybe I’ll call him on my drive home… but I’m sure he won’t try and talk me out if it, you don’t call Nola to get talked out of buying something.  I have park froze but I also like to finish something and move on.

100% truth. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thank you @Canugghead
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    caliking said:

There ya go again, raining on his parade by getting all science-cy and stuff. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

There ya go again, raining on his parade by getting all science-cy and stuff. 
    Rain on a parade is way better than an exploding bag of gravy!

• ColbyLang
    So what’s the thought on the Anova model? Too small of an interior chamber for serious use? Ain’t gonna lie that $250 looks way better to my wallet than $1000 for a vac master
  • caliking
    Thank you @Canugghead
    @Canugghead didn't mention that the VP is somewhat user serviceable. I don't know if that is true about the Anova or Avid Armor ones.

• Photo Egg
    ColbyLang said:
    So what’s the thought on the Anova model? Too small of an interior chamber for serious use? Ain’t gonna lie that $250 looks way better to my wallet than $1000 for a vac master
    Honestly, no one can make a better call on this than you can.
    ‘Custom cut a bag to the max size of the unit you are looking to buy. In this case 11” wide and 10” long. Even a zip loc bag works. Knowing you need additional space in the front of the bag for sealing, is this bag big enough to serve your purpose?
    I also found watching videos online to see what others are sealing in a specific model helps a bunch.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColbyLang
    @Photo Egg, have a non chamber sealer that’s got some age on it but works for the larger things. Went ahead and bought. Will return if deemed too small to pack cuts of meat and 8 speckled trout filets per pouch. Thanks for the insight 
  • Photo Egg
    ColbyLang said:
    @Photo Egg, have a non chamber sealer that’s got some age on it but works for the larger things. Went ahead and bought. Will return if deemed too small to pack cuts of meat and 8 speckled trout filets per pouch. Thanks for the insight 
    Sounds like a perfect plan.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas